Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO Points System?

• 24-01-2013 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Ok,

So the CAO only counts 6 subjects for points,
    say if I'm doing 8 leaving cert subjects (1 outside school), and I do 6 of these at Higher Level and 2 of these at Ordinary Level,
    and if after the leaving cert i get a B 2 A's in the ordinary level subjects and get B's in the higher level subjects, will the ordinary level subjects count towards the 6 subjects for the CAO points because I got a higher result but their worth lower points?

Please help I'm really worried,
    Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭Whatever_fools

Hiya, for points in the LC you add up the 6 subjects with the highest points attached to them. Doesn't matter if they're HL or OL. Remember though, you'd need to get a D1 or below in a HL subject to count that instead of an OL one. For example, C3 in HL is 60 points - you'd need A1 in OL to get 60 points so more often than not the HL subjects actually add up to better overall points score. Hope this makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 emerjane08

alright so it goes by how many points the grade gives but not my the actual grade? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭Whatever_fools

Yeah exactly although when you get your results they will only show you the grade you got so recommend that you take a copy of the table with you! Then you will attribute points to each grade and add up the highest 6 and that's your points.

Say you got 5A1's in HL papers, a C3 in a HL and B2 in OL then your points will be:

A1 H 100
    A1 H 100
    A1 H 100
    A1 H 100
    A1 H 100

C3 H 60
    B2 O 40

You will count the 5 100's and then the 60 from the C3 in the HL as opposed to the B2 in OL because it has higher points attached to it.

Advertisement