Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I change Health Insurers midterm?

Options
  • 24-01-2013 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

We are currently with VHI and are paying a high premium each month. In light of our currently financial situation I am reviewing our health policy eventhough it is not due until next August.

I just rang VHI and they say they can do nothing for me until next August. If I cancel the policy I will have to pay a pro-rata health levy of over €500 to them. They also said I can't switch mid term to another Insurance Company or change plans with them.

Do I have any options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭montzarella

I think your only option is to try to downgrade your level of cover, explain your financial difficulty to Vhi, explain your case, you cant afford the current plan, see what cheaper options are available. From what I have heard, you cant cancel but they might let you downgrade so you pay less, worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

I tried that but he was having none of it. Has anyone here ever been able to downgrade? I can't afford to cancel it but I can't afford to continue with it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

Unfortunately VHI will not let you downgrade or cancel mid term, consider staying with them until your renewal then move to a cheaper policy with another insurer that has similar cover

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

Thanks LostArt - will have to persevere with it.

Advertisement