Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-Tacky True Crime

Options
  • 24-01-2013 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭

Any recommendations?

Not looking for some cheap history of grisly murders or murderers. Something case specific preferably. Alternative to in cold blood.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I recommend a book on Jack the Ripper by Philip Sugden. I think its called The complete history of Jack the Ripper.
    It avoids the nonsense conspiracy theories and looks at all known evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I read The Onion Field by Joseph Wambaugh a year or two ago and found it good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

The Devil in the White City was a good one, read it some time back, very interesting case, set in the 19th century around the time of a world fair in Chicago.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭NaNaNa1

Charles Manson: Coming Down Fast by Simon Wells. Very interesting read if you're in any way interested in Manson.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

"A Tragedy Waiting to Happen" - Tony and JJ Muggivan. Tragic story of Brendan O' Donnell who was abused and then failed by the State, went feral and culminated in the shocking murders of Imelda Riney, her boy and a local priest. Nearly 20 years ago, now.

I recently read "Death on the Hill" by Abigail Rieley. Some society murder out in Howth. Not as moving or as engrossing (if that's the right word in this instance) as the Muggivans' book but still worth a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

"Lifers" by Barry Cummins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

The Suspicions of Mr Whicher was quite enjoyable. Based on one specific murder case and seen as the inspiration for forensic science and Sherlock Holmes.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭TheEscapist

Killing Pablo by Mark Bowden reads like a thriller except it's all true which makes it all the more readable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

The Stranger Beside Me by Ann Rule, is probably the best true crime book I ever read, it’s about 10 years since I did and I still remember the affect it had on me
    Chillingly well detailed, both in giving details of Ted Bundy’s early life / what the author thinks caused him to do what he did, and in the killings themselves.
    Not gratuitously gruesome but just extremely well written to the point that you understood how so many woman in North America must have felt at the time
    Add to this the fact that Ann Rule actually knew him and, for a well educated women, refused to believe he was a serial killer for quite a while, based purely on the fact that the man she knew was so charming and kind, makes it all the more hard hitting and at times, almost unbelievable that this was a real person and not someone created by Thomas Harris

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Homicide by David Simon.
    Is a great "True Crime "read ,one of my favourite books.
    Although not case specific ,the is one case (as far as I remember) that runs through most of the book.(The murder of a child).

Aenaes wrote: »
    I read The Onion Field by Joseph Wambaugh a year or two ago and found it good.

+1 on the book.

I think I remember watching a film about it as well ,with James Woods.
    Long time back.....................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Trisha XxX

Leftist wrote: »
    Any recommendations?

Not looking for some cheap history of grisly murders or murderers. Something case specific preferably. Alternative to in cold blood.
    Anything by Robert Ressler would be good but I think you would have to order his books online. Or Manhunters by Colin Wilson. I enjoyed anyway.

Advertisement