Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrapping Car

Options
  • 24-01-2013 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know of anyone near Waterford (or Cashel) for this? Have a cheap car sourced, but need to scrap mine before i can go for it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Anyone know of anyone near Waterford (or Cashel) for this? Have a cheap car sourced, but need to scrap mine before i can go for it.
    Pascal power out slieveroe way

Theres a breaker on the side of yhe m9 near thomastown afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

First, you need to be aware of new EU Regulations which came into effect from 1st January 2007. These Regulations were introduced to make sure that old cars are de-polluted and dismantled in an environmentally safe manner.

An End Of Life Vehicle (ELV) is a car or light commercial van that the registered owner intends to dispose of or scrap.

So if you have an old car that you want to scrap, what do you need to do?

First, you need to take your car to one of the Authorised Treatment Facilities (ATF’s)

An ATF is a Facility which has met the environmental standards required under the new EU Regulations, and holds a valid Waste Facility Permit from a Local Authority.

The ATF must take your old vehicle free of charge.

You must ensure that your vehicle contains no waste materials.

You must give the Vehicle Registration Certificate (RF101) or Log Book (if applicable) to the ATF.

The ATF will issue a Certificate of Destruction (COD) to you.

The ATF will send a copy of the COD to the Vehicle registration Unit in Shannon and the destruction of your old vehicle will be noted in the National Vehicle File.

Only a Facility which is a nominated ATF by a Local Authority can issue a Certificate of Destruction. Therefore you should only deal with an ATF when you are getting rid of your old car.

If you bring your old car to a facility that is not an ATF you will not receive a COD, you may remain as the registered owner of the vehicle in the National Vehicle File and will be responsible for the vehicle.

To obtain a Motor Tax Refund for a vehicle that is to be scrapped, an RF120
    Form must be completed and the COD attached.

Above are the regulations .

That breaker near Thomastown is probably Philly McBride of Hugginstown .

The reason I posted the above is because , we got caught out breaking a car , as it was back on the road a month later .
    Make sure you get your certs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Above are the regulations .

That breaker near Thomastown is probably Philly McBride of Hugginstown .

The reason I posted the above is because , we got caught out breaking a car , as it was back on the road a month later .
    Make sure you get your certs

Whats the make and model, you never know you might be able to break it first and then get it taken away!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Whats the make and model, you never know you might be able to break it first and then get it taken away!

2002 Mitsubishi Galant Advance... Not a very common car.

Even more of a reason for people to be looking for parts!

some people might need a gear box an altenator few bits off it, ye never know!

Stick an ad on adverts.ie and see does anybody need parts! for a small fee of course! ye gotta squeeze every penny these days!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

If you drive the car to the weighbridge at Molloy Recycling outside Enniscorthy , they will pay you €120 per tonne .

This car weighs about 1.20 tonnes .

And if you have any other scrap metal, you could fill the car too , as they pay per tonne .

They will also de-pollute the car and give you your official cert.

If you drive the car to the weighbridge at Molloy Recycling outside Enniscorthy , they will pay you €120 per tonne .

This car weighs about 1.20 tonnes .

And if you have any other scrap metal, you could fill the car too , as they pay per tonne .

They will also de-pollute the car and give you your official cert.

I think the father has a hape of lead, will throw that in!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

You could strip it and then get the remains taken away for free, the wheels should be left but can be taken from the site later.

SCRAP MY CAR

If it has alloys on it or even wheels with decent tyres on it you can sell them aswell, youve gotta squeeze every penny!

If it has alloys on it or even wheels with decent tyres on it you can sell them aswell, youve gotta squeeze every penny!

Didn't even think of that! Nice one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

anyone know where i can get my car scrapped in the carrick on shannon area?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭moose3844

Scrapped mine with Phillie McBride in Hugginstown before, He even came and collected it

wheres that?

wheres that?

Hugginstown is out mast Mullinavat in Kilkenny. Its pretty handy to get to

moose3844 wrote: »
    Hugginstown is out mast Mullinavat in Kilkenny. Its pretty handy to get to

thats no where near me

thats no where near me

Give him a ring and ask can he collect. He did for me before

where do you live?

waterford city at the moment but when he collected my car I was out in collins avenue on th dunmore road

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I doubt he'll travel as far as Carrick On Shannon to collect though! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Grahamb23

If you contact Molloy Metal they will send someone out to collect the car and give you a cert to say it has been scrapped. I think they will give you around €100-€150 for it and when you get the cert you can claim back the tax as well.

• Advertisement

Grahamb23 wrote: »
    If you contact Molloy Metal they will send someone out to collect the car and give you a cert to say it has been scrapped. I think they will give you around €100-€150 for it and when you get the cert you can claim back the tax as well.

Wow thats great, but dont forget if its an older car to maybe post in this section, feck it even if its not an older car let people know, the second hands parts business is big business!

Cheers for all the replies folks, i managed to sell it for €350!

wow that was great, how did you manage that?

Left it at the brothers house, he gave it a clean and threw it up on donedeal. Probably could have got more for it. Within an hour of putting it up he had 6 calls! But, it's gone with little hassle, and it's paying to fix up a different car, so all good!

Left it at the brothers house, he gave it a clean and threw it up on donedeal. Probably could have got more for it. Within an hour of putting it up he had 6 calls! But, it's gone with little hassle, and it's paying to fix up a different car, so all good!

Was it the wine colour Mirage?

Was a Navy 02 Galant.

Advertisement