Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought brand new samsung tab on adverts.ie seller wont hand over receipt

Options
  • 24-01-2013 2:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭

I am posting this now because of this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056858802

HI all. as title says

I Bought a brand new sealed samsung 8.9 tab on adverts.ie, seller wont hand over receipt.

On the original add the seller said it was sealed brand new with receipt.

When I met the seller he said he had mis placed it but had ID on him. I bought the goods and took note of ID. I reminded him again a few times over the next 2 weeks for receipt, then he told me to F off.

I reported it to boards and adverts, the mods contacted him, he then sent the mods a photo of a photocopy of receipt and they were happy enough. I still have no receipt.
    What can I do?
    Should the mods have done more?
    What if he reports the tab as stolen?
    What if it has warranty issues?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

You can do nothing. There are a lot of stolen, high value, goods out there at the moment. You may find, that if you proceed with this that your device isn't yours and you lose yer money.

Some people out there are just pure scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Wouldn't be surprised if he kept the receipt in order to get the cash-back from Samsung.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Did you pay with paypal or in cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Phone Samsung and req the device is put in your name and address. Confirm the start date of the warranty.

If they want a receipt email them the copy receipt. They probably won't ask.

People sell stuff all the time but the manufacturer will stand over the warranty provided it not reported stolen by the original owner.

You may be stressing yourself unnecessarily OP.

Phone the manufacturer !

uberalles wrote: »
    Phone Samsung and req the device is put in your name and address. Confirm the start date of the warranty.

If they want a receipt email them a receipt.

People sell stuff all the time but the manufacturer will stand over the warranty provided it not reported stolen by the original owner.

You may be stressing yourself unnecessarily OP.

Phone the manufacturer !

Don't do this!

The warranty is not transferable. If you say that you are not the original owner, the warranty is invalid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's basically a private sale and caveat emptor applies. Adverts.ie merely facilitates the sale and enforces some basic guidelines for behaviour (i.e. no gouging).

You have the record of the advert as partial proof that you bought it - hopefully either you got a receipt for handing over cash, or alternatively you paid via PayPal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised if he kept the receipt in order to get the cash-back from Samsung.

as far as i now, cashback is only applicable on tabs 2 10.1, 7 and note 10.1

there is no cashback on the 8.9

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

dudara wrote: »
    It's basically a private sale and caveat emptor applies. Adverts.ie merely facilitates the sale and enforces some basic guidelines for behaviour (i.e. no gouging).

You have the record of the advert as partial proof that you bought it - hopefully either you got a receipt for handing over cash, or alternatively you paid via PayPal.

I bought the goods and took note of his ID. I reminded him again a few times over the next 2 weeks for receipt, then he told me to F off.

I reported it to boards and adverts, the mods contacted him, he then sent the mods a photo of a photocopy of receipt and they were happy enough.

The mods did not send me the copy of the receipt, and then they told me to stop ringing the seller as if I was in the wrong.

I still have no receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you want to discuss the mods actions, then I'd suggest the Feedback forum. This forum really isn't the place for that.

Did you pay with Paypal OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Aside from looking for the receipt, is there anything actually wrong with the tab? If all is fine and no problems I'd stop stressing about it and move on, leave neg feedback on his adverts account if you wish but I wouldn't be getting stressed out over it just because someone else had a totally unrelated problem in relation to tickets bought on gumtree

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

When you buy from a private seller it is a good idea to seek evidence that the seller actually owns the item. A receipt is useful in establishing that. So I think OP has a real point: it is reasonable to expect either the receipt or a copy of it. If it is advertised as being "with receipt", then the receipt should be provided.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Doesn't matter if the item was purchased and never opened, fact remains that it is second hand.

As it's a second hand item you will have no warranty on the item as you are NOT the purchaser, unless of course you lie to the manufacturer and claim you are the original purchaser

Personally I would reverse the transaction until he sends you everything you paid for.
    A receipt adds value, especially if it was bought for resale. I have in the past paid an extra few quid for an item with a receipt.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Doesn't matter if the item was purchased and never opened, fact remains that it is second hand.

Or stolen.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Personally I would reverse the transaction until he sends you everything you paid for.
    A receipt adds value, especially if it was bought for resale. I have in the past paid an extra few quid for an item with a receipt.

Doesn't add any value really,

Second hand is second hand, warranty's don't transfer over unless the manufacturer allows them to...most don't.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Second hand is second hand, warranty's don't transfer over unless the manufacturer allows them to...most don't.

That's what I said in post 6. A lot of buyers want to see a receipt and since it was listed in the advert, the seller knew including this would help sell the item.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

If the receipt was so important to the OP why did he/she hand over money for a tab without one?

You have your tab, the seller has his money. All you can do is learn from the experience.

If the receipt was so important to the OP why did he/she hand over money for a tab without one?

You have your tab, the seller has his money. All you can do is learn from the experience.

You are missing the point.

He sent the mods a copy of receipt, they will not send it to me or request him to send it to me.

I didn't realise that a warranty didn't transfer on a new sealed item. Does that mean xmas presents aren't covered?

He sent the mods a copy of receipt, they will not send it to me or request him to send it to me.

Worse than that, he sent a PHOTO of a PHOTOCOPY of SOME receipt. Did that receipt have the actual serial number of the tablet printed on it? If not, then a photo of a photocopy could be for a pile of ****e, as far as I'm concerned.

• Advertisement

You are missing the point.

Have you tried PM'ing the mod for that image. Since it is your property I don't see why they wouldn't give it to you. A photocopy of a complete receipt holds the same value.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

There basically nothing you can do. Next time don't hand over the cash without the receipt.

Have you tried PM'ing the mod for that image. Since it is your property I don't see why they wouldn't give it to you. A photocopy of a complete receipt holds the same value.

The mods think I am over reacting.

The adverts.ie ad clearly said 1 week old brand new sealed tab with receipt.

The seller sent the Mods a copy of receipt and they felt that was enough.

Surely the adverts Mods have to do more?

The mods think I am over reacting.

The adverts.ie ad clearly said 1 week old brand new sealed tab with receipt.

The seller sent the Mods a copy of receipt and they felt that was enough.

Surely the adverts Mods have to do more?

Have you tried talking to the mod? After that report it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

The seller has not supplied what he said he would, however one would simply argue you knew that at the time of purchase. A couple of points spring to mind.

The warranty is only with the original purchaser and retailer so you don't need to worry about that, you have no warranty. The manufacturer has no contract with you, or indeed the original purchase. Common practice however is for the manufacturer to assist you in the case of a fault if you request it. You're pulling a fast one if you try and do this with second-hand goods (generally some allow transfer). If you're going to pull a fast one merely tell them you lost the receipt they will likely go off manufacture date.

If it's stolen you may be okay as you might fall into the category of bone fides purchaser. Can't give legal advice so GIYF and I'm normally wrong when I do anyway.

Adverts.ie have done pretty much all they can. Frankly you shouldn't have handed over the money until the guy produced a receipt if it was that important to you. I'd just move on and enjoy your gadget!

Well donr for not joining the Apple cult!

If it's stolen you may be okay as you might fall into the category of bone fides purchaser. Can't give legal advice so GIYF and I'm normally wrong when I do anyway.

On a technicality, if it's stolen, it still belongs to the original owner that is was stolen from. NOT the person who paid the "thief", good faith or not.

RangeR wrote: »
    On a technicality, if it's stolen, it still belongs to the original owner that is was stolen from. NOT the person who paid the "thief", good faith or not.

Are you sure? I thought equity's darling and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Are you sure? I thought equity's darling and all that.
    In almost all circumstances, a person can not give better title to property than he himself has. That means that if you buy something that has been stolen, you do not acquire good title. The principle is set down in lawerly Latin as "nemo dat quod non habet" - nobody can give that which he does not own.

Does that mean xmas presents aren't covered?

• Advertisement

Does that mean xmas presents aren't covered?

Oddly yes from a legal point of view. Convention is that a retailer will look after you though. That said as I've put forward on a number of occasions there is a lot of rubbish bandied about re receipts and contracts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement