Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My race against the clock

• 24-01-2013 3:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭

I have been reading a lot of the training logs here over the last year and i have gained a lot from them. I have seen how other people have benefited from documenting their progress and the advice given by others. This is the reason for this log, i want to improve.

As the title suggests, it is just me against the clock. My goal for this year is to PB in 5k, 10k, 1/2 marathon and marathon, reason why i think this is possible is that i am more focused now and starting to plan my sessions more and i have never done a 10k, so guaranteed a PB in that.

My PB's and goals for this year are:

Distance|PB|Goal|
    5K|19:17|18:45|
    10K|N/A|39:45|
    1/2|1:30:51|1:29:30|
    Marathon|3:23:13|3:14:59|

The races i have targeted this year are the Enniscorthy 10k in 3 week, Wexford Half marathon, Dublin Marathon, havent picked any 5k races yet, but will probably do some of the Docklands ones in the summer. Also plan to do the race series.

So with the right training and a lot of hard work i believe i can reach these goals and who know even go faster :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭EMPM

I suppose i should probably give a bit of background about myself.

I am pushing 40, so im starting to think that as time goes by the chances of me making new pb's will get less and less.

I took triathlon about 4 years ago after not doing much in the way of sport for a good few years. Running was always my weakest discipline, so last year i deceided to focus more on that. In doing so i found myself to really enjoy it, being able to focus on one sport and also see the gains was fantastic. So much so that this year i have deceided to focus on just running.

I dont follow any plan and have never been very good at following them either. My weeks training so far has been:

Sunday - 11k easy - 49 mins
    Tuesday - 9k total - 1k warm up, 13X400m @ 3:30 pace with 200m recovery
    Wednesday - 5.5k - @ 4.00 pace
    Thursday - 7k - 1k warm up, 2 X 2k @ 3:45 pace and 1k at 3:45, 500m rec.

I plan to start upping the distance at the weekend. I know i probably need to start planning my weeks sessions better and its something i have to read up on.

Cheers
    EMPM

10k easy run at lunch time today, 45:30, 4:33 pace.

Legs just feeling a bit tired, i think yesterdays session took a bit out of me.

Total km so far in Jan 122.5km. Feel i need to do longer runs at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

EMPM wrote: »
    The races i have targeted this year are the Enniscorthy 10k in 3 week, Wexford Half marathon, Dublin Marathon, havent picked any 5k races yet, but will probably do some of the Docklands ones in the summer. Also plan to do the race series.

So with the right training and a lot of hard work i believe i can reach these goals and who know even go faster :D

Some decent times there! I will probably be some considerable distance behind you in Enniscorthy and the Wexford Half.

Good luck with your targets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Good pace and endurance in the 2x2k session there. These are the sort of sessions that'll do loads for you. The biggest gains I've made in recent years have been primarily down to a session I do coming up to marathon (I'll not scare you with the details) and tempo miles on the back end of LSRs.

Best of luck with your training and meeting and probably shattering a lot of your targets for the year.

Thanks Guys, my main problem in races is that i tend to fade in the last km or so. So i have to build in some endurance combined with the speed.

That was my first 2x2k session, had aimed for 3 and as you can see could only manage 1k, i was wrecked. I am hopeing that these sessions will help build some stamina and toughness to keep the pace at the end of a race.

• Advertisement

They will definitely build stamina, no question. But, variety is important too. A progressive tempo type session, where you're starting out at 8 min/m, and working your way down to under 6 min/m pace is also very good.

For shorter race distance training, such as 5k or 10k, I don't think you'd necessarily put race tempo miles into your longer runs, but as your intermediate goals start changing and you concentrate on the longer races, this type of session can be introduced.

We've been doing a good session down the club lately: 3.00 mins - 2:30 - etc.... 1:00 - 1:00 and then back up the way. Intervals of 30 seconds. Pace in and around 5k pace. Its a toughie, the last two always a struggle, but a good one.

Edit: I meant to say that your interval sessions should be somewhat race specific. I'm no expert on 5k training, but 2k seems like a long distance interval for 5k specific training. Maybe something like the one I've outlined above might be more appropriate. But my main distances are half and full marathon, so am really not qualified to be judging the session you're describing.

i like the sound of that progressive tempo session, finishing stronger. might give it a go on Sunday during my long run.

Although a goal is to pb in 5k, my next race is a 10k and then a half, so hence the longer interval sessions, im hoping that as a result of hard training for the 10k and half a faster 5k time will come. I have no idea if it will work, but hey, i will soon find out.

That club session, is that run for 3min recover 30sec run for 2:30 reciver 30sec and so on down to 1min and back up.

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

I suppose i should probably give a bit of background about myself.

I am pushing 40, so im starting to think that as time goes by the chances of me making new pb's will get less and less.

Don't let age bother you, I'm 40 and running about 3 yrs, my 10k and Marathon times are similar to yours, I foresee a great few years ahead of me and many PB's!
    You'll be surprised at the age of many posters here!

Look fwd to reading your log and seeing you get many PB's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Btw, I'd advise you to follow some kind of plan.
    I'm reading both Daniels and P&d, you'll need to in order to understand the lingo here, but the plan (5k & 10k) I'm following is from Running Planet and a bit of my own creativity!

Yes, 30 seconds recovery between each rep, jogging the recoveries. Sounds easy enough on paper, but in practice its a tough old one.

• Advertisement

Don't let age bother you, I'm 40 and running about 3 yrs, my 10k and Marathon times are similar to yours, I foresee a great few years ahead of me and many PB's!
    You'll be surprised at the age of many posters here!

Look fwd to reading your log and seeing you get many PB's!

Thanks Runningking, love the optimisim and hopefully i do reach the goals i have set.

Btw, I'd advise you to follow some kind of plan.
    I'm reading both Daniels and P&d, you'll need to in order to understand the lingo here, but the plan (5k & 10k) I'm following is from Running Planet and a bit of my own creativity!

I do recognise that my training needs to be more structured. I have just ordered P&D's Advanced Marathoning, seems to be popular around here. Looking forward to reading it.

Sunday - 16.5k long run, 1:20

The plan was to try and start out slow and then for the last 5k pick up the pace. Started out at 5min pace per km, kept this for 10k and then upped the pace to 4:30 pace, i tried to up the pace more but couldnt, weather was pretty bad, high winds, rain/sleat. It was tough just trying to keep the pace at 4:30. Glad to get it done.

Monday - Rest day

Tuesday - 8k Progressive Tempo.
    Started off at 5min pace and picked the pace up constantly through the run finishing at 4min pace. Aerobically i felt fine, but legs are feeling a bit tired.

Wdenesday 30th

7k - 1km warm up, 10X400 @ 3:30 pace with 200m recovery.

Really tough session today, legs felt tired even before the session and last 4 intervals i really had to up the effort to keep pace, 200 recovery's were at a crawl.

Only 11 days till my first 10k, starting to plan next weeks sessions.

Total distance in Jan 154km

Good quality and variety in these sessions EMPM. Fairly hard to get consistent quality mileage with the weather lately, so fair play to you.

One small piece of advice, just be careful on putting two relatively difficult sessions on consecutive days. As that progressive tempo session develops, following up with the 10x400 session the following day could be a bit of injury risk. I'd try to follow a session day with an easy day, unless I've a very substantial base of training done.

What date is your 10k? Will you be going for the sub 40 in this one, or is that for later in the year?

Thanks RFR, i am really enjoying just focusing on running and the relishing the challenge, so for now im very motivated, hopefully it lasts.

Agree, two tough sessions and my legs are not thanking me for it, they feel very tired but not sore. In hindsight i should have had an easy run day today. I really have to start planning my weeks training properly.

Its the Enniscorthy 10k on the 10th Feb, going to give it a lash at sub 40, i will be very happy with 39:59, so going to try and pace it sensibly.

Thursday 31st Jan

10k - 4:30 pace, found this pace nice and comfortable, managed to keep heart rate low.

Tomorrow is a rest day.

Total Distance for Jan 164km

After trying to avoide the coughing and spluttering on the train for the last month, i have finally succumbed to the germs. Have had a heavy cold for the last few days, so trying to take it easy in the hope that it clears for the weekend.

Doing my running on the treadmill to keep out of the cold weather and maybe sweat it out of me.

Sunday - 10k very easy. 50mins.

Monday - Rest

Tuesday - 5k - 22 mins, felt better today, but didnt want to push the pace or effort. My main focus is being fit for the 10k on Sunday.

Total distance 179km

Today - Another easy run 5k 24 mins.

Feeling much better today, run was easy kept low hearth rate and legs feeling fresh.

I am now looking forward to the 10k on Sunday, feeling more confident that i had been at the start of the week about breaking 40 mins. Hopefully back in Wicklow in time to watch the Rugby.

The morning of my 1st 10k had arrived and i woke up feeling pretty good,
    legs were feeling fresh and i was looking forward to the race and hopeful to get under 40 mins.

Arrived in Enniscorthy around 11 and happy to see that the weather had eased off a bit. There was a good little athmosphere building. I was surprised to see so many club runners there, it was good and i know that it was going to be a very competitive race.

Did a little warm up and positiioned myself in what i though was a good poaition in the start up, but as the race started i found myself having to try to run around a lot of people to get a bit of space, not to worry i was off up the hill and feeling good, my aim was to get to the 5k mark just under 20min, got there in 19:45 and i was still feeling ok, the next km was tough there were a few sharp hill which took a bit out of me at this stage i was starting to feel a bit of tiredness in my legs and was having to work hard to keep up the pace. Any little hill would sap more energy from me and over the next couple of km's the sub 40 drifed away from me and didnt have the strength to up the pace against the wind, tried to push in the last km and crossed the line in 40:42, feeling like vomiting and knowing i had given everything. Over all a great race and a very good course. Some superb times as well.

Having though about the race and my build up and where i went wrong was in my training. I didnt do enough long runs, i was focusing to much on speed. So now i know what i have to do if i want to break the 40 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Well done!

I was out there too ( a fair bit behind you) and also struggled a bit at the start to get some space and towards the end with the wind.

You're certainly on for a sub-40 in the right conditions.

Thanks Druss, there were a few more hills than i had expected, although a very enjoyable race. Certainly a bit more training to be done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭sb78

The morning of my 1st 10k had arrived and i woke up feeling pretty good,
    legs were feeling fresh and i was looking forward to the race and hopeful to get under 40 mins.

Arrived in Enniscorthy around 11 and happy to see that the weather had eased off a bit. There was a good little athmosphere building. I was surprised to see so many club runners there, it was good and i know that it was going to be a very competitive race.

Did a little warm up and positiioned myself in what i though was a good poaition in the start up, but as the race started i found myself having to try to run around a lot of people to get a bit of space, not to worry i was off up the hill and feeling good, my aim was to get to the 5k mark just under 20min, got there in 19:45 and i was still feeling ok, the next km was tough there were a few sharp hill which took a bit out of me at this stage i was starting to feel a bit of tiredness in my legs and was having to work hard to keep up the pace. Any little hill would sap more energy from me and over the next couple of km's the sub 40 drifed away from me and didnt have the strength to up the pace against the wind, tried to push in the last km and crossed the line in 40:42, feeling like vomiting and knowing i had given everything. Over all a great race and a very good course. Some superb times as well.

Having though about the race and my build up and where i went wrong was in my training. I didnt do enough long runs, i was focusing to much on speed. So now i know what i have to do if i want to break the 40 mins.

Well done on the time, I think you were a bit unlucky with catching a cold a week before the race. I'd say this took more out of you on the day than you realized. Also, the conditions yesterday were tough, especially the last 2 miles running into the wind. For what its worth, for the long runs, I was doing 1 long run (between 6-8 miles) per week at the weekend for my 10km training. I tried to mimic race conditions, so start off slower and then increase tempo on each mile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

Well done. Thats a more than decent run for your first 10k. A few more months of solid training and with the experience of this race under your belt and I reckon you won't be long going sub 40.

sb78 wrote: »
    Well done on the time, I think you were a bit unlucky with catching a cold a week before the race. I'd say this took more out of you on the day than you realized. Also, the conditions yesterday were tough, especially the last 2 miles running into the wind. For what its worth, for the long runs, I was doing 1 long run (between 6-8 miles) per week at the weekend for my 10km training. I tried to mimic race conditions, so start off slower and then increase tempo on each mile

Thanks sb, I just need to plan my weeks sessions a bit better and factor in some long runs like what you said. Probably pick another 10k in March to give it another go

beeduybe wrote: »
    Well done. Thats a more than decent run for your first 10k. A few more months of solid training and with the experience of this race under your belt and I reckon you won't be long going sub 40.

Thanks beeduybe, i am happy with the time, and even more motivated now to break the 40mins. Bring it on :D

Weeks training so far

Monday - recovery run, 6k at 5 min pace. Easy pace, legs not feeling to tired after yesterdays pace.

Tuesday - Hill Reps, 1k warm up 6x400m Hill reps @ 4:30 pace 1k warm down.
    Not really sure what pace i should be attempting these at, this one was done at marathon pace.

Wednesday - Long run, 18k @ 4:55 pace. Ran into work this morning form Shankill to the city centre, although it was lashing rain i actually enjoyed it, it was a nice way to start the day. Legs feeling a bit tired now. Tomowwor is going to be a rest day.

Started reading P&D's book, there sure is a lot of info to take in especially chapter one

Well done on the 10k race EMPM. A windy day like that can be a real struggle, so you did excellent to hang on and only lose a minute in the second half of the race.

Do you plan on following P&D plan to the letter or are you going to take it as a guide?

Well done on the 10k race EMPM. A windy day like that can be a real struggle, so you did excellent to hang on and only lose a minute in the second half of the race.

Do you plan on following P&D plan to the letter or are you going to take it as a guide?

Thanks, having had time to reflect on the race, i am quite happy with how it went.

I am currently reading the chapters before the training plans, i want to be able to understand what it is i am being asked to do and why. Currently on the tapering chapter. Have to say i find it all fascinating.

I will probably follow a plan as much as i can, which one i follow will depend on how much millage i can do each week.

Do you follow any of the plans yourself

• Advertisement

No, I don't really follow any plan to be honest. I would however keep a lot of the Lydiard theory as well as Noakes and Canova in mind when I'm putting my own loose plans together. A lot of the Canova stuff really only relates to the very top level, whereas a huge amount of Noakes' Lore of Running is dedicated to ultra-training, specifically Comrades.

I like knowing what's in a lot of different plans, and taking from them what I think suits me at any given time. I don't think I'd have the discipline to stick to any plan very well, but I've heard lots of good things about P&D.

Advertisement