Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My race against the clock

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭EMPM

I have never followed a set plan before, and am thinking that i should do. After reading some of the book i am seeing where i went wrong with some sessions, so slowly i am learning about how to structure my training and wht will work for me. It may be a case that i take a plan from P&D and just tweak it a little to suit me.

Friday

5m @ 6:50 pace, which is half marathon pace.

Signed up for Wexford half in April so i am switching to recording in miles

Weekend was hectic so i didnt get the time to get any runs in at all. I always feel a bit hard done by, when i dont get run at the weekend.

Monday

6 mile tempo run 43 mins. After no run at the weekend i felt fairly good at this pace.

Tuesday - another busy day in work, so missed out on run.

Wednesday

Medium long run. 11.25 miles in 1:24, this is aroung 7:27 pace, which is around what i hop to be my marathon pace. What a lovely morning for a run, a bit cold but no wind, legs felt fine during the run and dont feel to tired after it. Joints are a little sore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

EMPM. Good stuff with the 11 mile run there, very good pace.

Just an observation, and take from it what you may.

There seems to be a slightly larger than normal gap beteeen your half marathon pace (6:50) and full marathon pace (7:30) at 40 seconds a mile.

My most recent half marathon and full marathon, both of which were PB efforts, had average pace of 6:20 and 6:44 respectively, so 24 seconds a mile difference.

When you do get to the really proper marathon-specific work, I'd be inclined to train for a goal you think might be 5 minutes faster, then run conservatively for the real goal. For instance, if you're aiming for a sub 3:30, you should really train for 3:25, and you'll find the 3:30 pace on the day very manageable.

Thanks RFR,

I am basing my marathon time on aiming for 3:15 in October, which is about 7:26 pace, last year i did 3:23 but was aiming for 3:15, i just didnt have the stamina in the legs and slowed up about mile 20.

My logic behind doing my medium long runs at this pace is that i can still recover from it to do the next days session, and do my temp runs at 6:50 pace which will be my half marathon pace.

I had signed up for the Enniscorthy Half in April, i am no longer able to do that so i have now switched entry to the Wicklow Half. I am not expecting a pb in this race, looks a bit hilly

This weeks training so far.

Monday

8.5km - 1k warm up, 5 X 1k @ 3:45 pace with 500m recovery. The last two sets were tough and had to push it a bit to maintain pace.

Tuesday

8.5km tempo run - 500m warm up, 8k @ 4:15 pace, with about 1k of hills.
    Again, this was a good challanging workout, pushed hard on the hills to try to maintain a decent pace.

Wednesday

11.25 miles 1hr 26min - Medium long run. This is the 3rd week i have done this early morning run, i am really enjoying them. Legs were fine for the first 9 miles but ran out of steam then and slowed for the last couple of miles. I think last night tempo run took a bit out of me. my leg muscles were a bit aching all day, went to bed pretty early.

Thursday

3 miles recovery run - after yesterdays run, today was just about taking it easy.

Friday

6 mile fartlek planned for tonight

Missed my long run at the weekend, just a lot of family stuff on and thought i may lose a few brownie points going out for a couple of hours on Mothers day, well that was my excuse to myself.

Today - well the weather is pretty bad so deceided to hit the threadmill for my run. 6 miles with 5 miles @ 6:30 pace, raised gradient to 1%. Actually wasnt to bad, it can be a bit boring but gets the workout done.

Only two weeks to the Wicklow half now. I know i have not done near enough endurance training, so not hoping for a pb but still give it a good lash.

• Advertisement

Only 1 week to go now until the Wicklow half, looking forward to it, hopefully the weather picks up a bit.

Last weeks training was as follows

Monday 11th

10k - Tempo run, 1k warm up, 8k @ 4:10 pace, 1k warm down. I really enjoy these sessions. Run slightly faster then my target pace for the half, but short enough so that im not completly wrecked.

Tuesday

7k - Hill reps, 1k warm up 8 x 400m hill reps @ 4:15 pace.
    Did this on the treadmill @ incline 4%. Kept pace @ 4:15 and put incline to zero for recovery. Tough session.

Wednesday - rest day

Thursday

8k - Speed session, 1k warm up, 5 x 1k @ 3:30 pace, 1 k recovery. Seriously tough session, i was completly wrecked after this one, could have fallen asleep at my desk after lunch.

Friday

5k - Recovery run, legs still tired from yesterdays session, just glad to get this one done.

Saturday

14 miles - 1:45. Long run at 7:30 pace. Felt surprisingly good on this run and was able to control the pace. Even though im currently focusing on half marathon, this gives me more confidence of achieving my goal of sub 3:15 in the Dublin marathon.

Sunday & Monday were days off for some quality family time :)

So the plane is to reduce the distance this week and arrive at the start line feeling fresh on Sunday, would love to go sub 1:30, but i dont think it will happen this time.

Took it very easy last week, im never quite sure how to taper and still experimenting with what suits me. So just did two short tempo runs last week.

Tuesday 8k @ 4:15 pace, felt very comfortable.

Thursday 6k @ 4:15 pace, again felt very comfortable, as it should at this stage.

Friday - Had planned to go for a nice easy jog, but there would have been nothing easy about jogging in that weather so canned that idea especially after taking 2 1/2 hours to get home thanks to Irish Rail. fair play to those that did go out in that.

I never like to run the day before a race so Saturday was all about trying to take it easy but with small kids that is a workout in its self.

Sunday - Wicklow Half.

One of my goals for this year is to get under 1:30 for the half, now i wasnt treating this as the race where it would happen.

I was glad to see that the rain had stopped, but still very cold and windy, so i wasnt sure what to wear, went with base layer, top, shorts, hat & gloves, now i never wear a hat even training, but i was so glad i wore it.

Race started off at a good pace, markers were in km, so time seemed to be going by quicker. The fist 3k we had the wind at our backs and was relatively flat, then we were into the hills, i was feeling grand on the hills, my strategy was not to push it to hard on the just to keep the hearth rate constant and then push the pace on the flat and downhill, this seemed to work well and i was surprised that i was able to keep pushing sub 6:50 miles on the flat and faster on the downhill sections.

From about 13k - 16k was an awful stretch, straight into the wind and very undulating, i was out on my own one guy about 100m ahead so i just focused on trying not to dropped any more by him, i was happy to get through this section without dropping to much time, last 5k i was able to keep up oace and even catch one person, this is normally where i weaken a bit so i was delighted to still feel strong.

The last km seemed like it was downhill, tried to push the pace hard, i could hear the pounding of someone behimd me so pushed even harder, pace was now sub 6 min miles, just was we git to the botom of the hill i could see the jail (where the finish line is), thought it was the finish line, but we had to run around the side, where there was a little small hill, which nearly stopped me in my tracks and the guy went past me, ah well, i had given it my all, crossed the line in 1:31, 29th overall. Very happy with how it went, delighted to feel strong throughout and only 3 people passed me in the second half.

I never thought that i would break the 1:30 hear but i didnt expect to do this well, bring on the next one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Good run. I ran this half too and thought the course was tough. I tucked in behind a couple of lads for that part of the of course you found tough but then I had the benefit of being further back so more bodies around to do that. It helped to focus on just following someone rather than thinking about the long stretch. thought 16 - 18 was a nightmare with that steady incline.

Sub 1.30 is a definite for your next half, though I'm sure you're well aware of that.

I think its as tough a course you will get but i did like the route, nice quite country roads and im sure the views are good on a nice normal spring day.
    Any time i went to look i got a blast of wind in the face :(

Well done EMPM, very good time and result. The sub-90 will come very naturally to you now, I'm sure. Great reward for all your steady and consistent training.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Great run, given the hills, wind and cold, it'll definitely stand to you for the next half.

Its nearly 2 weeks since i have updated this log now, going through a bit of a manic time in work and also feeling a bit of a lack of motivation. Every session seems like i have to struggle to go out and do, but once im doing it it feels ok.

Since the half in Wicklow i have had a couple of aches, one in my ankle and the other around my glut/hip area, but once i warmed up, they went. So i have been avoiding any speed work until this week.

Last week was mainly longer slower runs done, 50k in total done at a range between 4:30 & 5:00 pace.

This week, ankle felt much better and planned to do some speed sessions this week

Sunday LSR - 13 miles in 1hr 40mins. Ankle was ok after this, glute/hip still a bit of a niggle.

Monday rest

Tuesday Intervals - 1k wark up, 5 x 1k @ 3:45 pace, 1k warm down. Felt tired after this but was able to hold the pace through the intervals.

Wednesday rest

Thusrday Tempo - 1k warm up, 5k @ 4:00 pace 1k warm down. Feel great after this. After the warm up when i upped the speed i felt a click in the area around the glute/hip that was troubling me, after that it felt fine and now it is still ok, dont know what was wrong but it seems ok now, hopefully it stays like that.

Decided to join the local running club last week and have started doing track intervals, these are great, lot of faster guys in the group so finding that im having to push myself a lot more than i would on my own.

Monday - Track intervals

1600m, 1200m, 800m, 400m.

1600 was at 5.48 pace, cant remember the otehr two and 400m 77secs

Tuesday - Recovery run

5 miles @ 8min pace. Legs felt tired after the track session last night, so glad just to get this one over with.

Wednesday - Medium/long run

11 miles @ 7:35 pace. Legs felt ok but rest of body didnt really enjoy it, sometimes my system doesnt like early morning runs, this was one of those mornings. Happy overall with pace.

Thursday - Rest day today, last 3 days sessions i can feel in my legs and i want to get a good hill session tomorrow.

EMPM, great decision on joining the running club. It'll help your development, and you'll probably enjoy your running all the more.

You're doing good solid training at the minute. I only wish I'd the time at the moment for something similar. It'll stand to you no end when you start the more intensive stuff in August/September.

You put a plan together yet for the summer/autumn races?

EMPM, great decision on joining the running club. It'll help your development, and you'll probably enjoy your running all the more.

You're doing good solid training at the minute. I only wish I'd the time at the moment for something similar. It'll stand to you no end when you start the more intensive stuff in August/September.

You put a plan together yet for the summer/autumn races?

It certainly makes interval sessions much more enjoyable, nothing like sharing the pain.

Im planning the following races over the next few months, im also open to any suggestions. I am mainly focusing on longer distances as my main aim is to get under 3:15 in the marathon. I might do a couple of the park runs as well.

Enniscorthy 1/2 - 26th May
    Docklands 10k - 20th June
    Clontarf 1/2 - 13th July
    Rock & Roll - 1/2 5th Aug
    Belfast 1/2 - 22 Sept (helping pace someone, so not racing)
    Dublin Marathon - 28th October

EMPM, that looks like a decent plan of races.

My only issue would be having the Clontarf and the National half marathons within three weeks of each other. I don't think there's really much to be gained from racing both and you'd probably get much more from a long training run or a shorter distance race.

I wouldn't rule out doing a few 5k or 4 mile races either if you can fit them in. Or even, if your club has such a thing, a Time Trial over 3 or 4 miles. These races/TTs are excellent for building speed, but short enough that you can recover quickly and not lose too many days training.

Thanks RFR, i had been in two minds about doing Clontarf, so i think i might drop it and just do a long run.

I agree about doing more shorter stuff, just did a 6k race yesterday and it was so tough, i have gotten used to running slower and longer. Must put a few park runs on my race calander.

6th May
    6k National Road race champs in Gowran, did this as part of a team with the club, kind of knew i would be out of my dept here. Havent been really training for the short stuff but thought it would be good experience. Field went out very fast as expected, 1st km 3:30 pace knew i couldnt keep this up and wanted to slow back a bit but for some reason my head kept telling me to push so i did, and blow up i did. Finished around 23 mins. Overall happy enough and i enjoyed the experience, certainly think i might focus on the shorter distances next year.

7th May
    Legs were a bit tired from yesterday, so a 5 mile recovery run @ 7:30 pace

8th May
    Hill session today, 5 mile undulating route, ran at 6:50 pace, so had to push on the hills to maintain the pace. Good solid workout.

9th May
    Tempo run, 5 miles at 6:40 pace, legs were a bit tired but overall felt comfortable.

10th May rest day, felt i really needed this. Couldnt stop eating all day, trying to avoide the unhealty snacks is not easy, need to stock up on nuts for a case of the munchies.

Missed my long run this weekend, had a lot of family stuff on and general tiredness.

13th May
    Track interval session tonight and boy was i glad i hadnt run in 3 days.
    8 X 600m with 45 seconds recovery. Savage workout. 1st rep done in 2:01, knew i couldnt sustaion this, the rest were done around 2:08-2:10.

14th May
    Legs were very sore today after last nights intervals, especially my hamstrings and calfs. So on the cards today was a nice easy 5 mile recovery. Did not go to plan, such a nice day and a lot of people out running, i ended up pushing it that bit further and a bit faster, 6 miles @ 7:20 pace. Needless to say i was walking around very slowly in work after that.

Strawberry half marathon in a week and a half, so focus on getting to the start line feeling good.

16th May

Tempo run - 1k warm up, 8k @ 4:15 pace 1k warm down

17th May

Hill session - 6k undulating route , focus was on maintaining an average pace of 4:15 which is half marathon pace, focus on pushing on the uphill. Felt ok after this.

18th Rest day

19th May

13 mile run @ 7:25 pace, had one of those good days where you feel like you run all day at the same pace.

20th May

Club session - tonights intervals were 1k,2k,1k followed by some drills and 100m sprints. Mixed session, felt ok on the longer intervals but on the sprints felt a little strain in my glute, hopefully it will clear up.

21st May

Recovery run - 6k @ 5min pace, took this very slow, was feeling the strain from last night session so just wanted to see if a light session would help. Glute felt ok once warmed up and not to bad in the evening.

22nd May - took a rest day as Glute still feeling a bit sore

Glute feeling much better today, plan on doing another light jog tonight to see how it feels running. With the Strawberry Half on Sunday i dont want to aggravate it, apart from that im feeling good and looking forward to the race

23rd May

9k flat route, just wanted to see how my glute felt on this run so started out slow a picked up the pace to half marathon pace, it was sore to start but once warmed up it seemed fine. Today it feels ok, so i am going to take it easy today and tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Go easy on yourself for the next week EMPM, just a few easy runs will be enough to get you to the start line good and fresh. That 13 mile at 7:25 would be a great confidence booster. If you get decent conditions, you look set for a very good time in your race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

EMPM,

Did you do the Strawberry Half yesterday ?

MisterDrak wrote: »
    EMPM,

Did you do the Strawberry Half yesterday ?

Unfortunately yes:(, well done to yourself, you seemed to be running very well and got a great time on what is a tough but nice course.

Had a bad day at the office. Arrived nice and early and felt ok, my glute which had being bothering me felt ok. Nice sun shine, nice athmosphere, near perfect conditions.

Lined up with the 1:30 pacers, and probably about 10 others, (i know who you are now Masterdrak, ill say hello next time our paths meet). Stayed with the group until,about mile six, where there was a bit of a hilly bit, this is wher it all started to go wrong, felt a bit of a twinge in my glute and it got worse the harder i pushed up the hill, lost about 100m on the group, tried to make it up on the down hill but couldnt, my pace dropped and the baloons floated off into the distance, maintained 7min pace for the next few miles, i was really starting to hurt by mile 10, the little ramp up onto the n11 felt like mount everest, the last 3 miles took me over 25mins and hobbiled accross the line in 1:35. Kind of dissapointed but just gotta move on and plan the next one. But first i have to go and see a physio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Same thing happened to me on mile 6, and i lost about 20m, but did manage to catch then up on the down hill. That and the steep "ramp" to the N11 was probably the worst part of the race for me.

Wouldn’t worry to much about the time, there is probably 1:30 - 2:00 mins with the same effort level on a flatter course. Going to give Clontarf a go in July and see how that goes...

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭sb78

EMPM wrote: »
    Unfortunately yes:(, well done to yourself, you seemed to be running very well and got a great time on what is a tough but nice course.

Had a bad day at the office. Arrived nice and early and felt ok, my glute which had being bothering me felt ok. Nice sun shine, nice athmosphere, near perfect conditions.

Lined up with the 1:30 pacers, and probably about 10 others, (i know who you are now Masterdrak, ill say hello next time our paths meet). Stayed with the group until,about mile six, where there was a bit of a hilly bit, this is wher it all started to go wrong, felt a bit of a twinge in my glute and it got worse the harder i pushed up the hill, lost about 100m on the group, tried to make it up on the down hill but couldnt, my pace dropped and the baloons floated off into the distance, maintained 7min pace for the next few miles, i was really starting to hurt by mile 10, the little ramp up onto the n11 felt like mount everest, the last 3 miles took me over 25mins and hobbiled accross the line in 1:35. Kind of dissapointed but just gotta move on and plan the next one. But first i have to go and see a physio.

Bad luck on the glute injury, these things happen...better luck next time...
    I didnt make it myself, had a communion on the same day, so couldnt make it.
    Its a hard enough route, not flat, so 1:35 isnt such a bad time.

Hard luck EMPM. Your training's been very steady. Best thing about the half marathon is that it won't take a huge amount of time to recover fully, and give another one a go in a few weeks.

These little setbacks are all part of running. It'll make it all the more worthwhile when you do dip below 90 minutes having had a bump in the road along the way. Fair play to you for motoring on with it when the wheels were coming off.

Advertisement