Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vista, memory @ 72%?!

Options
  • 24-01-2013 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭

I have a 2gb ram vaio. Sometimes it runs at memory 80% when i can only count about .25 gb in the process tab of the task magr, what the f**k is going on?! I have avast and zone alarm and reguarly scan?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

It's called prefetch, a smart new feature introduced in Vista. Rather than leaving your ram empty it predicts what software you might use and loads it into memory so it opens quicker. It will unload what it has loaded if you need the space.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Darith

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    It's called prefetch, a smart new feature introduced in Vista. Rather than leaving your ram empty it predicts what software you might use and loads it into memory so it opens quicker. It will unload what it has loaded if you need the space.

So if my laptop seems slow it is probably due to old hardware or the fact i have been putting off reinstalling vista?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Darith wrote: »
    So if my laptop seems slow it is probably due to old hardware or the fact i have been putting off reinstalling vista?

If you're capable of backing up and reinstalling do so, patch up to date before installing any software. Vista was a pain when first released, but over time patches fixed lots of the issues with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

You say you have avast and zone alarm. If you have two AV's running then they will conflict with each other and slow your laptop down.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Darith

FSL wrote: »
    You say you have avast and zone alarm. If you have two AV's running then they will conflict with each other and slow your laptop down.

I have avast av and zoe alarm firewall. A godd combo generall; zonealarm will now do both but unsure of zone alarm av.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

I'd set the superfetch service to manual and increase the ram to 4gb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

+1 on increasing the RAM.

How many programs are running on boot-up? Use Autoruns to see if there's stuff that can be disabled (updaters, preloaders, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Darith wrote: »
    I have a 2gb ram vaio. Sometimes it runs at memory 80% when i can only count about .25 gb in the process tab of the task magr, what the f**k is going on?! I have avast and zone alarm and reguarly scan?
    You should be able to see all the RAM being used. Do you have the column "Working Set (Memory)" displayed? Has "Show Processes from All Users" been selected?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Advertisement