Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ever shoot (any) rugby?

• 24-01-2013 3:23pm

Hi guys,

This is more of a heads-up than anything else. I did a bit of work for a magazine a while ago. I was only involved with them temporarily and for a short period of time.

They are called "Rugby Player" magazine.

Anyway, in the brief time I've been involved with them, from talking with their editor (whom I traveled with a bit to from games/interviews) they take a lot of photographs without permission. I learned this the hard way, as I've yet to be paid for work I did for them, too (the awkward part is that they actually looked like a really promising little publication to be involved with, initially).

Anyway, apparently a favourite tactic is to steal photos from Google and flip them horizontally so even if the original photographer sees one of his own photos, he may not notice it's his own.

The reason I'm posting this here is because I know a fair few of ye guys will have shot rugby at some point, and so I figure I may aswell give ye guys a heads up so you can send in an invoice to the magazine if they've used any of your work.

I'm currently locking horns with them over unpaid work, but unfortunately, it looks like I won't have much luck as I had agreed a price with them in advance for the work to be done (whereas if one of ye find a photo, you can practically invoice for whatever you want).

They have 4 issues so far (number 4 contains the photographs that I have yet to be paid for) but issues 1-3 have been uploaded (by them) to issuu and be viewed here:

http://issuu.com/rugbyplayermagazine/docs

I'm not sure if you can save them to your PC (incase they're taken down) or not though. But definitely look at them if you've ever shot any rugby (or people relating to rugby).

The MD of the magazine has horrible manners (treated me very aggressively). They stole a lot of photos from, shall we say, a major sports photo agency in Ireland (and were annoyed when they were invoiced accordingly). (though that could be incorrect, that's what i was specifically told - would be interested to hear if anyone here shoots for the major sports agencies and is familiar with the magazine).

Also, if anyone writes anything about rugby or such, or is a sports journalist, etc. apparently (according to the guy i worked with in the mag) they lift a lot of that from the net, too. So could be worth looking at.

As I say, just giving a heads-up. :)

Comments

I'm in touch with Issuu about them using my photographs without permission on their Issuu uploads, so I advise anyone with interest in this to download the magazines incase they're taken down.

I've already downloaded them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

amazing what scams are happening with photos

I just wonder where the top class photos on the Random thread end up?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

keps wrote: »
    amazing what scams are happening with photos

I just wonder where the top class photos on the Random thread end up?:confused:

Where do you think Apple and Microsoft got their billions from? Unpaid photographers' royalties. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

from talking with their editor (whom I traveled with a bit to from games/interviews) they take a lot of photographs without permission.

So am I right in saying that from traveling with the guy you were aware they were already stealing images and kept working with them regardless?

Can I ask why you kept working with them if you knew this from talking to the editor? Why did you expect to get paid by them either if that is their way of operating?

It would appear the reason you posted this was because you've realised you got burnt by them now, but had no problems when you thought you were going to make a buck or two from them, even though other photographers images were being stolen?

pete4130 wrote: »
    So am I right in saying that from traveling with the guy you were aware they were already stealing images and kept working with them regardless?

Can I ask why you kept working with them if you knew this from talking to the editor? Why did you expect to get paid by them either if that is their way of operating?

It would appear the reason you posted this was because you've realised you got burnt by them now, but had no problems when you thought you were going to make a buck or two from them, even though other photographers images were being stolen?

Pete sees the negative in a post I made? :eek: What a shocker. :rolleyes:

I'd informed several photographers that I know shoot sports. No, I didn't know this all along. I found out towards the end of my dealings with them. I chose not to publicly mention it until I'd spoke to my own solicitor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Thats how it reads to me. They are genuine questions.

No need to be a smart árse about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Arse isn't on the blocked words list.

pete4130 wrote: »
    Thats how it reads to me. They are genuine questions.

Need to be a smart árse about it.

I assume you meant no need, to which I'd disagree. Every post you make in response to me on boards is a trolly-attack post.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Pete sees the negative in a post I made? :eek: What a shocker. :rolleyes:

I'd informed several photographers that I know shoot sports. No, I didn't know this all along. I found out towards the end of my dealings with them. I chose not to publicly mention it until I'd spoke to my own solicitor.

Have to admit that I read it in much the same way as that Pete picked it up too. I thought you were getting a dig in at a company that was running under bad practice and you were only giving out about them when you began to bare the brunt of the shoddy practice yourself.

It's just the way your opening post reads (still does to my eyes) but you've cleared up that with your other post saying that that wasn't the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

With numbers, sponsors and logos- difficult enough to flip a photo horizontally- and remain unnoticed

• Advertisement
Advertisement