Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balbriggan - As it was

Options
  • 24-01-2013 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭

This post got me thinking about this.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82859997&postcount=12

What was in Balbriggan before and is not there any more.

I will start with two that I can remember well.

The BMX Track
    BMXRacing.jpg

The Garage (Jet if I remember right) on the corner of Station Station Street
    DroghedaStStstreet.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

It was a Jet station as I remember it, looks like it was already abandoned by the time that picture was taken, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Is that where Goldsmiths jewellers is now??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Little Ted wrote: »
    Is that where Goldsmiths jewellers is now??

I think so, the garage is now the building occupied by Orient Express/EatZen/Whatever its calling itself these days

P_1 wrote: »
    I think so, the garage is now the building occupied by Orient Express/EatZen/Whatever its calling itself these days

Dunno where that is??? do you mean the new buildings next to the old Ulster Bank? Mr Wu and Chopan and the Chemist? or is it opposite that (on the milestone side) and the corner is now occupied by the estate agents?

Just trying to find my bearings - its a bit tough cos its B&W and all the houses on the main street looked the same at that time! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Dunno where that is??? do you mean the new buildings next to the old Ulster Bank? Mr Wu and Chopan and the Chemist? or is it opposite that (on the milestone side) and the corner is now occupied by the estate agents?

Just trying to find my bearings - its a bit tough cos its B&W and all the houses on the main street looked the same at that time! lol

It looks like the corner of Station Street and Drogheda Street to me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

Straight across the road from the Ulster bank, The space between the small shed and the path is now a building, my little bro worked in there for a bit before it closed down

The other picture is a great memory, Murphy built that BMX track IIRC, got to go on it as a little fella, maybe 10 years old, remember trying to get up the start hill, its were the Passport office is now

My dad had a minibus and I remember the cousins begging him to bring them and their bikes from Dublin to the BMX track. You'd never see the cousins except for Christmas but suddenly here they were phoning my dad, asking could they come with us on Sunday (we used to go to Balbriggan nearly every Sunday in the summer months), and by the way can we bring our bikes and half the neighbourhood! lol
    So there we were, many Sundays, with bikes and kids we didn't even know all bundled into the minibus and headed for Balbriggan straight after mass!

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

You can see make out the location of the BMX track from this 1983 photo on b.net ("looking west towards Sonopress"):
    http://www.balbriggan.net/siloview.htm

The second one is from here: http://goo.gl/maps/kuryn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Another one is Scanlans Garage now Texaco at the church.

img120.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2 spmonroe

As you walk up on the left from the graveyard there is of course a full path all the way up to the church car park, i visit the business park near balbriggan's passport office, walking on the left side foot path is perfectly fine though i wonder why don't balbriggan council have a pathway put in on the right side from the traffic lights at the graveyard all the way up to the balbriggan business park so that people do not have to make a dash from the left to the right side of the road. #BalbrigganTownCouncil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

It would make sense to put path along there.

It is unbelievable to look back at Balbriggan from 40 odd years ago and look at it now. The traffic is the first thing I remember. Hard to believe the Main street was the M 1 !!

Advertisement