Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Gear Rising Demo

• 24-01-2013 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Just had a go of the MGR demo, which came out today on PSN and XBLA, and I have to say it's leaving a surprisngly good impression.

Aside from some of the horribly forced dialogue, it seems to have just enough of the MGS formula to keep my interest whilst the combat gameplay might actually be quite enjoyable judging by the few fights in the demo.

On top of that the presentation is top notch with pretty graphics and some lovely cinematic kills. However the camera seems like it could cause some frustration down the line with having to adjust a bit too often to see enemies in your blind spots.

Overall this demo has got my hopes up for a game which I thought was looking a little dubious before. Having said that though, I can imagine it crashing downhill from here.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Aside from some of the horribly forced dialogue

Well it is a Metal Gear game.
    Overall this demo has got my hopes up for a game which I thought was looking a little dubious before. Having said that though, I can imagine it crashing downhill from here.

I really don't get the MGS fan reaction to this game. You're getting a game in the franchise developed by Platinum games, did you guys play and see how good Bayonetta was. Also it was only a few years ago when everyone was squealing about how they wanted to play as the cyborg ninja in MGS. Now here's a game that lets you do that, made by the top developer in the world for beat'em ups and you don't want it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I thought it just looked a bit daft tbh but the more I've seen the more impressed I've been. A PC version has been announced I think so I'll just be waiting for that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This is a Metal Ger game the same way Mario Kart is a Super Mario game. It's a different take on the characters and world of the franchise.

Metal Gear has been down the spin-off route before with the likes of MGS Acid and MGS Touch. But this time it has a healthy budget and the greatest contemporary action developers behind it.

It's not MGS5 (that is coming), it doesn't pretend to be, so its pretty much a win-win situation for both MGS and Platinum fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Had a go of it earlier too and really enjoyed it. Going to hold off on it as I have too many games and I'll definitely be getting Bioshock Infinite so I'll wait a little bit for.

I liked the controls but it did take me a while to get to grips with the parry.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

The demo has been on Xbox since Tuesday (don't know about PS3) and I've played it loads. It's everything I've come to expect from platinum; tight controls, slick presentation and incredibly fun.

Getting all S grades was a fun way to prolong the demo and I can't wait to play the full game :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Played it ages ago with the ZOE collection, over all I accepted it for what it was as others have pointed out it's not a MGS game in the traditional sense, but it is no Bayonetta going on the demo alone it's a long way off that kind of quality, good but not great.

Maybe it will get added in the final game but I remember when playing it and getting destroyed on the harder setting due to the fiddly counter system and wishing to god it had a roll/dodge move :(

calex71 wrote: »
    Maybe it will get added in the final game but I remember when playing it and getting destroyed on the harder setting due to the fiddly counter system and wishing to god it had a roll/dodge move :(

There is a dodge move of sorts, it's not the same as Bayonetta or Ninja Gaiden style dodges but down,left or right and X + A quickly moves Raiden to one of those directions with an attack.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

IMO - i dont like this game
    thought their was too much action , not in a good way either
    hate the controls , dont like the way they have gone about the fighting
    now i havnt even been keeping an eye on this game so basicly i dont know much but , i can kinda presume this is not an actual metal gear solid game? as in the way 1+2+3+4 are , is this a spin off? or do we actually need to follow this story now is it a lead on from number 4? or any other part of the series

cause at the moment this game is not on my list, just couldnt enjoy it , felt more like i was playing dynasty warriors with less people attacking me then anything else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,961 ✭✭✭✭Penn

saiint wrote: »
    IMO - i dont like this game
    thought their was too much action , not in a good way either
    hate the controls , dont like the way they have gone about the fighting
    now i havnt even been keeping an eye on this game so basicly i dont know much but , i can kinda presume this is not an actual metal gear solid game? as in the way 1+2+3+4 are , is this a spin off? or do we actually need to follow this story now is it a lead on from number 4? or any other part of the series

cause at the moment this game is not on my list, just couldnt enjoy it , felt more like i was playing dynasty warriors with less people attacking me then anything else

It's a spin off. It's not called Metal Gear Solid, it's called 'Metal Gear Rising: Revengence'. Some knowledge of MGS4 would probably be required, but not a whole lot I'd say. It's a new story. It's also why the style of the game is completely different. While there will be some stealth in the game (though used differently than the MGS games), it's mostly an action slash-em-up like Bayonetta or Devil May Cry.

The whole point is being able to play as a cyborg ninja and do the kind of things they were able to do in previous MGS games. So It's a completely different style of play than the others.

There's one (probably two) new proper Metal Gear Solid games coming out in the next few years or so. This is more of a spin-off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I don't get it "Raiden in MGS2 sucked, he rocked in MGS4 but we couldn't play as him, now we can, but its not like the other MGS games" well...good, Vanquish and Bayonetta are superb, more games like that please.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Can't ba as bad as MGS4 anyway.

*Hides under bridge.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

krudler wrote:
    he rocked in MGS4

No he didn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Azza wrote: »
    No he didn't

He fights moocow robots with swords on his feet. his feet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Gave the demo a shot earlier, really didnt like it. Trying to parry was a nightmare and lack of dodge bugged me. Also, not telling you what moves you can do till the last moment doesnt help (I destroyed the stairs off the beach and it took ages for it to tell me I could run up the wall).

So gave it another spin later, checked the options and saw there was a lock on (and its a toggle lock-on, pay attention Darksiders devs....ooops, too soon :P ) and made doing the parrys a lot easier. Have to see if theres a way to switch the lock-on as targetting the soldier 100m away while 2 moocows (that is their name, right?) stomped on me wasnt fun :(

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I really don't get the MGS fan reaction to this game. You're getting a game in the franchise developed by Platinum games, did you guys play and see how good Bayonetta was.

Actually I don't think I'd played any Platinum games up until recently when I started Vanquish, which is brilliant so far and is actually very Metal Gear-like.

But mostly my doubts were because it was a spin off from a well established series but with new gameplay, there was a danger of it just trying to cash-in on the brand. But as you said, the quality of the developer really changes that.
    blag wrote: »
    The demo has been on Xbox since Tuesday (don't know about PS3) and I've played it loads. It's everything I've come to expect from platinum; tight controls, slick presentation and incredibly fun.

Oh my mistake. PSN got it on Wednesday but for some reason I thought it was Wednesday when I posted that :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

I actually really enjoyed it. It's very challenging for a hack n slash game tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Can't ba as bad as MGS4 anyway.

*Hides under bridge.

It really cant ;) I had no fun with that game. This game looks incredibly fun. Thats what I want in a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Paul1990

krudler wrote: »

And stopped a giant warship with his shoulder. What a guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭derm0j073

What a shoulder .

I actually really enjoyed the demo. I think the parry system is okay once you get used to it (though I might have preferred a designated block button) and the camera can be difficult enough at times, but other than that I thought it was a lot of fun, and some of the swordplay was brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

I hate block buttons tbh. Seem kind of lame. The parry window is a little too big in this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

krudler wrote: »

Ha ha moocow.

Funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

Better than I thought it would be, but it wont be a day 1 purchase for me..maybe when its like 20 quid

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

How many gigs is the demo?

Nearly 3.5gb for the PS3

Some pretty good reviews coming in for the game.

Two more reviews, Edge and Metro Gamecentral

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

The piss poor game revolution and playstation lifestyle are the only ones giving this low (poorly written) reviews.

• Advertisement

Length of the game and camera seem to be the only real negatives in most of the reviews, which is fair enough. Camera problems were noticeable in the demo too.

Still, while the story might be 5-6 hours, I'd say you could put a lot of time into the VR missions and perfecting the combat system.

Advertisement