Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Gear Rising Demo

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

5-6 hours seems fine, especially if the cutscenes aren't included (as a konami rep has said).

What I think a lot of people don't realise about these kinds of games is that they're designed to be played again and again. A game like MGR should become more rewarding through increased exposure. Too many people are of this 'play once and trade in mentality'. It's depressing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If the game is fun I don't care how long it is and with the amount of RPGs I play a short game is a blessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

snausages wrote: »
    5-6 hours seems fine, especially if the cutscenes aren't included (as a konami rep has said).

Not only are the cutscenes/codecs not included but retries aren't recorded in the final game time presented on finishing a run too. EG you replay a certain section 6 or 7 times, only the attempt where you actually completed the section is recorded.

I've had it since last Thursday and played through it three times, it's not the longest game in the world but there are no real bad points or padding to artificially proplong the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It's like they took the awfulness of Bayonetta and mixed it with the constant interruptions and cut scenes involved in a metal gear game. Ten seconds struggling with the camera and bashing buttons before it stops for a boss scene intro the boss then goes into a long dialogue scene to explain who he is and what he is doing for 2 minutes then a 30 second fight before you kill him and get to chat to your codec for a minute in another dragged out explanation.

When a cybernetic wolf attacks me I don't need it explained 3 times (in the same scene) as to why he has to attack you. It's a big robot wolf that looks angry that's enough.

It's like they took the awfulness of Bayonetta

Stopped reading there

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's like they took the awfulness of Bayonetta and mixed it with the constant interruptions and cut scenes involved in a metal gear game. Ten seconds struggling with the camera and bashing buttons before it stops for a boss scene intro the boss then goes into a long dialogue scene to explain who he is and what he is doing for 2 minutes then a 30 second fight before you kill him and get to chat to your codec for a minute in another dragged out explanation.

When a cybernetic wolf attacks me I don't need it explained 3 times (in the same scene) as to why he has to attack you. It's a big robot wolf that looks angry that's enough.

This review has made me want to play it even more :D

Will probably wait 'til the first price drop though - I am very much looking forward to playing, but unfortunately have not made a dent in the other games I'm committed to at the moment. And JDIFF is eating into my leisure time for the rest of the week.

I do fear HMV's absence will make it harder to source games at a reasonable discount in the aftermath of launch. At least there's always online...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,354 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The piss poor game revolution and playstation lifestyle are the only ones giving this low (poorly written) reviews.

Official Playstation magazine gave it 7/10 which is I guess isn't a bad review per se but more kinda meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I really must start playing Platinum games. I've got them all except Infinite Space and this, but have only played MadWorld

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'm excited for this game but I think I might hang onto my cash until there's a price drop,paying 50-60 euro for a game that's 5-6 hr long is just too much,not that there's anything wrong with it being that lenght.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I really must start playing Platinum games. I've got them all except Infinite Space and this, but have only played MadWorld

MadWorld is their worst game by far (barring its rich artstyle). Bayonetta remains their masterpiece, although Vanquish is a pure shooter the likes of which we don't see very often.

If they can be accused of any one crime it's that they arguably peaked with Bayonetta - it is an unenviable task to try and top that, which remains one of the two or three highlights of this console generation. Still, their work with Infinite Space and Vanquish shows they are achieve great things outside of their specialty genre of third person brawlers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

When is this coming out in Ireland chaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Eurogamer have it pegged for Thursday which is a bit odd. Friday is more typical.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Friday unless shops break the release date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Eurogamer have it pegged for Thursday which is a bit odd. Friday is more typical.

Thursday is usualy the EU release then UK and here Friday.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I heard some small story spoilers there and the game seems to be nuts and is very self referential to how crazy the MGS series is. Also any game that takes the piss out of MGS4 gets a thumbs up from me. How can I not like this game when it contains the lines:

"Why won't you die?"

"Nanomachines, son."

That seems like a pretty cool moment, but imo maybe it should be spoilered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

some dude on youtube said the music in the menu screen when fades out is the tune from super metroid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

When is the release daye for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

DyldeBrill wrote: »
    When is the release daye for this?

tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Is this really the only thread for this game? Jesus... :(

Right so, finally got stuck into this on Monday and I've been absolutely loving it so far. Straight off the bat, overall it's not as polished as Bayonetta in terms of the combat mechanics but then again, a pretty high standard has been set with Platinum's previous sword-based brawler. As for what's here, the Evade and Parry mechanics are still solid as hell and can make for some awesome sequences when mastered. The game looks awesome in motion, between the 60fps and the silky smooth combat animations everything just flows fantastically. Finishing off a well executed combo by triggering Blade Mode at the correct moment and pulling off a Zandatsu is incredibly cathartic after a long day. :p

There are, as previously mentioned, minor issues with the camera, mainly in the more enclosed areas though but a good solution is to just leave the right-stick alone and concentrate on crowd management yourself rather than trying a hard lock-on. I reckon I'm about half way through the game so far with about 3.5hrs completed. It's definitely going to be an instant-replay job though as I imagine it'll offer a whole new challenge at the higher difficulty levels as with Platinum's previous efforts. I haven't even touched the secondary weapons yet, instead concentrating on nailing the HF Blade combinations first so more scope for replayability there. The VR Missions are supposed to be good fun too so overall there's still plenty to keep me busy.

Also yea, pretty sure I had more fun in the prologue chapter than I did throughout the entirety of MGS4. :pac:

As much as I wish more people had gone out and picked this up at launch, if you haven't then you can get it now on either platform for £24.99 from Game. Whether you're a fan of Platinum's previous games, ninja, fast paced action or just ****ing awesome games, I highly recommend you pick it up :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

Think i'm gonna finally pick it up from that link gizmo just sent there, cheers man! looking forward to it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Woo! Metal Gear Rising Revengeance confirmed for PC

Confirmed by Kojima via his blog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

gizmo wrote: »
    Woo! Metal Gear Rising Revengeance confirmed for PC

Confirmed by Kojima via his blog.

suprized about that
    seems like this game flopped to be honest

didnt like the demo so i didnt bother picking it up , will wait til its cheaper just because its a "mgs" game

For a game of its type it seemed to do well. I don't think it was ever expected to pull MGS figures, it isn't that kind of game.

Outsold DmC in any case :p

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Kojima said just after release he was pleased with its sales figures.

Shame about DmC not selling, its a decent game.

Advertisement