Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recipes

Options
  • 24-01-2013 3:34pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This thread is for recipes and recipes only: one per post. If you want to discuss a recipe posted here, or ask questions, or give feedback, please start a new thread, with a link to the relevant post.

Beer recipes can be all-grain, extract or kit hacking -- it would be helpful to say which at the top, and give at least some broad indicator of style to help someone doing a search.

Recipes for homemade cider, mead etc also welcome.

Please give as much detail as you can, and especially tasting notes. That means it's probably best to post your recipe after you've tasted it.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

One of my own to kick off:

Elvira
    Extract Black IPA, brewed 01/12/2012
    3kg Dry Light Malt Extract
    500g CaraMunich [steeped]
    30g Chinook (11.4% AA) boiled 60 min
    21g Nelson Sauvin (12.6% AA) boiled 30 min
    25g Pacific Gem (17% AA) boiled 20 min
    14g Summit (17.6% AA) boiled 10 min
    0.5 Whirlfloc tablet, boiled 10 min
    20g Nelson Sauvin (12.6% AA) boiled 0 min

21L
    OG 1.053
    US-05

Next day:
    200g Carafa Special III (EBC 1200) cold steeped in 1L water for 6 hours.
    Boiled, added to primary

Racked to secondary after one week and dry-hopped with 25g Pacific Gem (17% AA)

16/12/2012
    FG 1.009
    5.9% ABV
    Carbonation: 109g of dextrose, for 2.3 volumes of CO2.

Notes:
    As usual, the CaraMunich was steeped first in 3L of water at 60C, then sparged with 3L more. This went into the kettle, with the DME, and brought to the boil before starting the hop schedule.

I didn't realise cold steeping took so long so it was a bit of a nuisance to do the Carafa after finishing brewing, then boil and cool it overnight. It should really be done in advance and put straight into the boil with the other fermentables.

The Whirlfloc tablet was a bit pointless, now that I look at it, it being a dark beer.

The aim was to make a very hoppy beer which was black but had no dark malt flavours. I got the last bit right, but the colour is a little off: more of a brown-red than black.

Still, I'm pretty pleased with it. There's a fairly punchy hit from the Nelson and lots of tropical fruit from the Pacific Gem.

Label:
    Elvira_zpsc07e60c0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

This is a simple Weizen recipe for anyone interested; this was my 3rd attempt at extract brewing.

Notes after 2 weeks conditioning:
    Colour - Darker than it needs to be, more like Camden wheat than Weihenstephan
    Appearance - no head to medium head, depending on head-space, more being better.
    Carbonation - medium, quite light bubbles
    Mouthfeel - slightly thinner than it needs to be
    Smell - perfect, banana and clove and slightly sweet

Suggseted changes - torrified wheat for body?

Recipe:
    15L
    Boil volume 7L

Ingredients:
    @60 mins
    2kg Wheat Dry Extract
    0.5kg Amber Dry Extract
    0.4kg Light Dry Extract
    60g Hellertauer (5.2% AA)
    @10 mins
    1 pinch Irish moss
    @pitching temperature
    1 smack-pack Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068)

Original gravity 1.055
    2 weeks in primary
    Finished at 1.011
    5.7% ABV
    Bottle-conditioned with 1/2 tsp caster sugar per 500ml

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭tommiet

AUSSIE LIGHT ALE 4%

3kg pilsner malt, 275g carapils, 250g crystal, tettnang hops 25g @ 60mins, 25g @ 15 mins, 25g @ 2 mins, wpl 001 yeast.

4 weeks in primary, 2nd of march, bottled on 4th of april, a week longer than normal for me, OG 1.036 FG 1.005.. carbonated to 2.2.. bit too much really..
    sampled a few last night, nice.. nice summer nights beer...

Advertisement