Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby citizenship law's for non residence!!

Options
  • 24-01-2013 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

hi, my partner and i are living in canada, we are in our first year of a 2 year work permit, we have applied and are awaiting our permanent residencies, we are also expecting a baby in 4months, will this baby be entitled to canadian citizenship or will we have to apply for permanent residency. I have googled this and my findings are inconclusive, if you have our you know anyone that has been in this situation any advice would be greatly appreciated. Big thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

If the baby is born in Canada it will be Canadian. We have a little 9 month old Canadian with her Canadian passport and we are still on work permits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ford explorer

If the baby is born in Canada it will be Canadian. We have a little 9 month old Canadian with her Canadian passport and we are still on work permits.
    Thank you so much for the reply, would you mind if I asked some more questions like what entitlement's would ur baby be entitled to ie children's allowance how much is it a month?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

The entitlements are determined by your status not the baby:

For Child tax benefit you have to living here over 18months. The amount for it is variable as its all means tested.

Universal Child Care benefit is for children 5 and under its $100 a month per child, I'm not sure if it has the 18month rule. We have been here long enough we get both.

Depending on which province you live in some of them subsidize daycare aswell just to bear in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ford explorer

thanks for the info!!

Advertisement