Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVR player Protection if not hidden in attic

Options
  • 24-01-2013 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads, My DVR sits downstairs and In the event of a break-in would more then likely be noticed then of course smashed or taken to avoid evidence being used.
    For people that dont have their DVR hidden in the attic, what would you chaps recommend to protect the Unit. The only thing I can come across are these boxes from the states.

http://www.cableorganizer.com/lockboxes/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Yes lockbox or remote nas

EDIT: available from most cctv suppliers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

This is something I was thinking of myself, have a dvr and thought it could just be picked up,
    The other thing is, I was wondering if its possible to get a lockable steel box to fit a domestic (not 100% sure what they are called) plastic tv box? (telecom box?) beside the gas and electric meter boxes.

I plan in the future to upgrade my alarm (it could be later this year, it may be next year).
    I really think Id want to use broadband access for monitoring (as one means), maybe include GSM (Im aware they can be jammed) or some other radio frequency device (but assuming GSM can be jammed, then I assume someone could jam another RF signal if they really wanted to)

As it is, my broadband cabling is tacked to the outside of the house, into the soffit to the attic. So it is not secure.
    I was planning (this is all a bit away in the future) on drilling through to the inside of the house from the box, run it internally, and have a secure metal box, maybe with a sensor on it in the TV box (telecom box).

I've nothing particular to hide, so it may seem overkill, but it comes to mind how I heard older systems with phone line monitoring were defeated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

for the OP ... a suggestion could be (if it was possible) to conceal the DVR in the wall(behind the skirting board).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Corkbah wrote: »
    for the OP ... a suggestion could be (if it was possible) to conceal the DVR in the wall(behind the skirting board).

I dont think that sounds practical, no offence, just cant see how that'd work?? even if they did have spaces to put it there, it would be completely inaccessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Corkbah wrote: »
    Not a good idea imo, no ventilation, dusty etc. DVR would not last long in there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

EyeSpy in Ballymount sell recorders that have a 35m IR extender cable, very handy. Ideal for installing the DVR in the attic. Ken will sort you out

Advertisement