Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Technology in Schools (subject)

• 24-01-2013 5:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm a final year IT student and looking at loads of options for when I finish a Masters (hopefully). I was just wondering is there a demand for Technology/Computer Studies/ICT teachers in Irish secondary schools right now? My degree is on the list of acceptable degrees for a H.Dip alright but there'd be hardly any point in even considering it if there's no demand for those. However, with the technology driven economy at present, surely there should be more and more schools offering these subjects?

Any insight/advice/general comments welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

No there isn't more of a drive because there have been so many cutbacks, schools have reduced the subjects they offer not expanded them.

Technology for Junior Cert has existed for years, it was only brought in a couple of years ago for Leaving Cert and every Construction Studies/Engineering teacher in the country who is already out there is qualified to teach it.

All Construction and Engineering teachers are also qualified in DCG so they will almost certainly get the nod for a job first.

Just over 900 students took Technology for LC last year.

IT/Computers is not an exam subject so it's not given any priority in most schools. If you have any bit of knowledge of how a computer works you'll be given a computer class. This may change if schools bring it IT for the new Junior Cert syllabus but it won't be on a large scale.

If you are serious about teaching you will need to get yourself at least 1 decent exam subject and realistically 2 as you won't get work with Technology alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Chris68

IT/Computers is not an exam subject

Strictly speaking Computers (ICT) is an exam subject but only for LCA
    so it's not given any priority in most schools.

Unfortunately true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

I don't think the technology you refer to is the same as the technology we have as a subject in secondary schools currently. As was said Construction/DCG teachers would have it as part of their college course I would doubt that an IT course would cover this material

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

IT/Computers is not an exam subject so it's not given any priority in most schools. If you have any bit of knowledge of how a computer works you'll be given a computer class. This may change if schools bring it IT for the new Junior Cert syllabus but it won't be on a large scale.

This is true. I think ICT/Computers should be an examinable subject. In my opinion if students were introduced to programming the maths grades would improve as a result. I would love to see the introduction of ICT in schools but I can't see it for a very long time as some schools would have to be brought up to speed technologically and if there were specific things i.e. programming on the syllabus etc. teachers would have to be retrained - so it could be a situation like the retraining of maths teachers i.e. those not seen as qualified by the TC regulations. This would also have nearly every school in the country crying out for IT teachers. When I was doing my dip there were only four of us doing the methodology - I would love to know how many teachers are registered for ICT.

In relation to advice for the OP, like one of the other posters said it would be important to get another subject especially that is examinable at leaving / junior cert. level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

ICT is one that bugs me a little in a similar way to I suppose carpenters and woodwork. I'm self taught in ICT, dabble in a few different programming languages and am one of the teachers who 'being good at computers' tends to be given generic ICT classes in TY for example.

I'd love to get qualified but needing another 3 year degree course on top of my own is just not feasible either in the time required out of the classroom when jobs are scarce or financially possible. If there was a one year course similar to the one being offered to maths teachers I would jump at it and Im sure teachers around the country would as well. Even from just attending the basic scratch inservice there is demand among teachers to improve their ICT skills

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

ICT is one that bugs me a little in a similar way to I suppose carpenters and woodwork. I'm self taught in ICT, dabble in a few different programming languages and am one of the teachers who 'being good at computers' tends to be given generic ICT classes in TY for example.

I'd love to get qualified but needing another 3 year degree course on top of my own is just not feasible either in the time required out of the classroom when jobs are scarce or financially possible. If there was a one year course similar to the one being offered to maths teachers I would jump at it and Im sure teachers around the country would as well. Even from just attending the basic scratch inservice there is demand among teachers to improve their ICT skills

I agree. I went to one of the Scratch in-services - I really enjoyed it and would love to get the opportunity to teach it! If I loved it I'm sure the kids would aswell!

In relation to up-skilling - I think a syllabus would have to be developed before they started another course to upskill teachers. This wouldn't be too hard as ICT is already examined in the UK. And I'm sure the NCTE / LERO would be able to help out.

I know you can do the evening BA in IT but if you're teaching full time - it would be very difficult to keep on top of everything! I think its time the Dept. of Education / NCCA realised that ICT is important and should be integrated into the junior and leaving which would result in more jobs for the IT industry which is always on the news giving out about the lack of Irish IT graduates. Look at the success of the CoderDojo - it shows there is demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

Thanks all for the responses so far. I thought it was just my own school that was a bit backward when it came to computers but it seems to be a pretty bad state of affairs out there.

Aside from any career motivations I think it is vital that the Irish education system starts introducing programming modules into schools in the very near future - it'll help wonderfully with logical thinking and to see some return for the effort can really motivate children and teens as opposed to simply handing up an essay and getting a grade based on the teacher's own subjective views.

Who offers in services in ict or scratch as mentioned? Perhaps that could suit me!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's probably different around the country, but DIT staff the Scratch inservices and courses for the students in our school (Dublin city centre).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭wingnut

We have introduced a course in Computer Programming as part of the new JC Pilot Programme. LERO are preparing an off the shelf version for the NCCA. I would expect a considerable uptake for the subject as a short course come 2015.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,646 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

i would think long and hard before investing time and money in teacher training because you won't be very employable except to a small number of educational establishments.

• Advertisement
Advertisement