Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the most subjects you ever did in a semester?

Options
  • 24-01-2013 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭

I'm doing 8 this semester :O

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Resits don't really count though, do they.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Huckster

I did 7 last semester and it was quite heavy going :/ It's great only having 5 modules now, but I'm still not sure if it was worth the stress!

If a person was going to weigh their credits unevenly, I'd definitely recommend doing more in the first semester- there's something about the second semester and coming to the end of the academic year which can really makes a person lose their motivation for studying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Whats the most subjects you ever did in a semester? I'm doing 8 this semester :O
    Huckster wrote: »
    I did 7 last semester and it was quite heavy going :/ It's great only having 5 modules now, but I'm still not sure if it was worth the stress!

If a person was going to weigh their credits unevenly, I'd definitely recommend doing more in the first semester- there's something about the second semester and coming to the end of the academic year which can really makes a person lose their motivation for studying.

Solid advice there. In pre-credit UCD, I was registered for a Level 10 and a Level 7 course simultaneously. Stress-wise it was a horrible experience and I wouldn't advise it for anybody. I remember vividly the lines from that Sinatra song about biting off more than you can chew kept going through my head. Furthermore, no matter what anybody says you will not do justice to yourself in either course result if you're taking on too much: something will give. There's definitely a point up to which extra work makes you more productive; when it gets to a stress level where the stress is negative rather than productive you should re-evaluate things for the sake of your mental health.

I also think the point about people being effectively burnt out by the end of Semester 2 is valid, at least it resonated with me. This year, at the end of Semester 1 I was a wreck. I love my course but there is so much going on aside from it that the workload is a burden too far and I can't wait to be finished and free in May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I've only ever done six in any given semester, but I had a semester before (and my current one) where 1 subject is completely project based - so by that I mean the lectures are more or less pointless, you can go if you want, or you can just do all the work yourself and have all the material available on BB - so that felt like I was doing only 5 subjects, with time in the library every now and then to get project work done - even that one less subject and especially one less exam makes a massive difference imo.

I think I only have 4 final exams this Semester, which is a dreammmm come true! :)

I did 8 modules in my first semester of first year, but this was back in 2005 when it was more common I think. I did the usual 6 in second semester, felt like a breeze in comparison!

• Advertisement
Advertisement