Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VHI / Fitness Screening at Sports Surgery Clinic

Options
  • 24-01-2013 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

Anyone here have VHI insurance that covers this (one plan sport / company policies) and been out for the fitness screening? I'm curious what it actually covers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Time for a Checkup, time for a checkup!
    I'm gonna check your ears, check your eyes, find out how much you've grown...
    Time for a checkup!
    Then I listen to your heart beat, fix you up, ready to go...
    Time for a checkup!
    It's okay if you wiggle. This will only tickle a little...
    Time for a checkup, time for a checkup!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

tunney wrote: »
    Time for a checkup!
    Time for a checkup!

You're a bit hyper today. You been overdosing on haribo again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

lmfao. are there actions?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

Time for a checkup!
    Time for a checkup!

Someone is watching waaayyy too much Disney Junior!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I've done this. Takes about an hour, measures things like blood pressure, heartrate, weight etc in one room, then sends you to another room where you're put on atreadmill for 10-15mns. You're hooked up with all the sensors on your chest and a mask over your face and told to run, starting off very slow, building up to as fast as you can go. They measure your pulse at each level of intensity.

Once done, they'll send you a report with results, most stuff like BMI you can figure out for yourself, although a few things like your lung capacity that you probably can't. The report is about 7 pages long, with probably only 2 pages specific to yourself, the rest is general stuff.

I reckon it's more suitable for unhealthy people, to see how unhealthy you are. As a triathlete/marathoner, I kinda got a sense of "what are you doing here wasting my time" from the guys doing the test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Time for a checkup!
    Time for a checkup!

Jesus I come to work to get away from that song!!!!!!!!!

Is that Fran's gaff?

griffin100 wrote: »
    Jesus I come to work to get away from that song!!!!!!!!!

DocInSmall.jpg

Is that Fran's gaff?

LOL

Is that Fran's gaff?

meanie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

DocInSmall.jpg

A bike for RQ!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

A bike for RQ!!

She'll probably still manage to crash that!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

!

it goes without saying that anything the screening finds should be added to the big book of boo boos.

easy to spot those with young kids in here...:D

mossym wrote: »
    it goes without saying that anything the screening finds should be added to the big book of boo boos.

easy to spot those with young kids in here...:D

In our house its the "booka booka boo boos"

When the talking doc mcStuffins stopped singing recently (Fvcked, swapped out) the 36 month old got very upset and then scribbed in the booka booka boo boos "I diagnose cant-singy-osis".

Trying to get an entry for "daddy-hungover-itis" but thats not working.

Good cartoon :)

A bike for RQ!!

Streamers are a b1tch to maintain.

BTH wrote: »
    She'll probably still manage to crash that!

I don't crash. I test gravity to make sure it is still functioning correctly.

It's a public service.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I've done this. Takes about an hour, measures things like blood pressure, heartrate, weight etc in one room, then sends you to another room where you're put on atreadmill for 10-15mns. You're hooked up with all the sensors on your chest and a mask over your face and told to run, starting off very slow, building up to as fast as you can go. They measure your pulse at each level of intensity.

Was sort of curious if they did a vo2 max test, and if they did whether it was a vo2 max or if they measured the co2 output too (so that you could find out the breakdown of fax/carb usage at different intensities). I got a vo2 max test done ages ago, and they gave you all the raw data which was cool.... until I realized it didnt have the bits I was actually intersted in :)

I think I'm well and truly in the camp of people that having the numbers isn't going to change how I train too much, but I've still got a general curiosity in it. I wouldn't be bothered taking the time out to have have someone measure my hr and bmi for me though :)

kingQuez wrote: »
    Was sort of curious if they did a vo2 max test, and if they did whether it was a vo2 max or if they measured the co2 output too (so that you could find out the breakdown of fax/carb usage at different intensities). I got a vo2 max test done ages ago, and they gave you all the raw data which was cool.... until I realized it didnt have the bits I was actually intersted in :)

These are the results you get....
    VO2max Test Results
    VO2max (ml/kg/min): 53.5
    VO2max (METs): 15.3
    Resting Heart Rate (bpm): 39
    Maximum Heart Rate (bpm): 179
    Resting BP: 145/84
    Maximum BP: 153/55

Shedite27 wrote: »
    These are the results you get....
    VO2max Test Results
    VO2max (ml/kg/min): 53.5
    VO2max (METs): 15.3
    Resting Heart Rate (bpm): 39
    Maximum Heart Rate (bpm): 179
    Resting BP: 145/84
    Maximum BP: 153/55

So it's just a VO2max test? Is this free as part of your policy?

So it's just a VO2max test? Is this free as part of your policy?

Pretty much. Think you can test most of the other stuff yourself really. Yeah it was included in my policy and I work closeby. Wouldn't go out of my way to do it TBH unless you were worried bout something (ie you're 50 with a history of heart problems and were doing triathlons

• Advertisement

Came across something else that I thought was intersting along the lines of getting test and things done (again in the "out of interest" category), but its only in the states -- http://www.wellnessfx.com/. Stumbled on it at ben greenfields fitness blog.

Looks like you get a blood test and you actually get acess to the data yourself in an online dashboard where you can track things over time. Obviously its important to have your GP do these things if your sick, but as a im-interested-in-learning-about-this-stuff sorta way I thought this was cool.

Came across something else that I thought was intersting along the lines of getting test and things done (again in the "out of interest" category), but its only in the states -- http://www.wellnessfx.com/. Stumbled on it at ben greenfields fitness blog.

Looks like you get a blood test and you actually get acess to the data yourself in an online dashboard where you can track things over time. Obviously its important to have your GP do these things if your sick, but as a im-interested-in-learning-about-this-stuff sorta way I thought this was cool.

"And now on the Ben Greenfield podcast Ben Greenfield tells us what Ben Greenfield thinks of Ben Greenfield's new approach to Ben Greenfields training of Ben Greenfield's atheletes. Right here on Ben Greenfield podcast I, Ben Greenfield, welcome myself, Ben Greenfield, to talk about Ben Greenfield.............."

I stumbled on the blog the other day and took a skim through it, I don't think I'd be able to listen to (m)any of the podcasts. The mix of interesting things, and stuff that just seems a bit "out there" (magic bracelets with memory water), blurs the lines a bit too much for my liking, especially from someone that's got a sports physiology background!

I stumbled on the blog the other day and took a skim through it, I don't think I'd be able to listen to (m)any of the podcasts. The mix of interesting things, and stuff that just seems a bit "out there" (magic bracelets with memory water), blurs the lines a bit too much for my liking, especially from someone that's got a sports physiology background!

Even though "Ben Greenfield" is two words it still managed to seem like every second word was "Ben Greenfield"

Advertisement