Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Go Ahead Eagles forum

• 24-01-2013 5:34pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This is a simple enough one. A couples of years ago boards.ie soccer forum for want of a better word adopted a foreign team to support (to avoid rivalries a non English/LOI team was selected in the form of Go Ahead Eagles in Holland) and this team was Go Ahead Eagles. A separate forum was created for discussion of said team and with the notion that it could be a place to talk about possible trips to the Netherlands etc.

This forum has had only a handful of posts in the past several months and in a recent soccer forum thread (which was actually suggesting trying the same thing again) it was labeled a failure. Perhaps it could be considered that it was a good novelty idea at the time but its more then run its course at his stage but before any action would be taken along the lines of closing the forum or whatever the Mod team would like to ask a simple question of the soccer forum.

Does anyone has a genuine interest in keeping it open?

note this is a public poll (people can see how you vote) and being run by a mod so please dont derail what should be a simple thread.... So Go Ahead or Go Away Eagles?

Do you have a genuine interest in the forum being kept open? 142 votes

Yes (keep it open)
    0%
    No (no interest in seing it kept open)
    4%
    pickarooneysmackbunnybabyUlysses Gazehomer simpsonBodhisophasmileyj1987MightyMandarin 7 votes
    spoiled vote / Atari Jaguar
    95%
    RasTaastrofoolFenixNeil3030Dont be at yourselfBounty HunterSeanehChucky the treeuchPompey MagnusGuy:IncognitoShaque attackDiddy KongKingp35keano_afcbohsboybohsmanjoe316mikeymaliveandkicking 135 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Keep it open please.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Keep it open please.

im not deciding this by myself or anything and honestly im just asking out of pure interest with this next part but, Why? will you post there if its kept open? will others? (that last bit I guess is more for others to respond to like you have than you yourself)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

im not deciding this by myself or anything and honestly im just asking out of pure interest with this next part but, Why? will you post there if its kept open? will others? (that last bit I guess is more for others to respond to like you have than you yourself)

Nah i won't post there, but keep it open anyways, i might want to some day. No skin off anyones nose to keep it open. Like the mustard forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Shut it down. It's pointless and if there was the slightest chance the idea would have taken off, it's surely gone now.

It's deadwood. Get rid of it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I think there's little point in keeping it as is. It may have been a good concept at the time but it clearly hasn't really worked for whatever reason. If people want to continue to talk Go Ahead Eagles it could easily be done in a superthread in the main forum - this would likely even get more people involved.

An option of course is to re-brand it for another club as suggested in the other thread, to see if it stimulates some interest. I think a better strategy would be again to create a superthread and if it was to garner enough traffic to consider creating a seperate forum.

tl;dr - annex the forum back to the soccer forum for the power and glory of the soccer forum.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Typical. Bunch of ****ing **olle-lover mods :mad:

First our game against Oss is called off tonight, now this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Spurs forum is next!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I never even knew the forum existed :o
    Anyone wrote: »
    Spurs forum is next!!!

Why is that even around? Surely it should be United or Liverpool (or United vs Liverpool!!! Keep all those arguments out of the way :pac:) that gets its own forum? Those threads are damn near impossible to keep up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'd rather not have a situtaion where Utd/Liverpool get their own forum, all the chat and discussion on here, although at times, can be a pain in the arse, is what makes the forum what it is, taking out the 2 biggest supoprted teams in the country would see the main Soccer Forum become less active, not by much but still less active then it currently is.

But anyway, ya go away Eagles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I'd rather not have a situtaion where Utd/Liverpool get their own forum, all the chat and discussion on here, although at times, can be a pain in the arse, is what makes the forum what it is, taking out the 2 biggest supoprted teams in the country would see the main Soccer Forum become less active, not by much but still less active then it currently is.

When Laura closed the Pool and United threads for a while recently it was quite refreshing to see activity in other threads.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Anyone wrote: »
    Spurs forum is next!!!

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

If we're going this way we may as well delete the Spurs one too ;)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,697 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I understand there was a "history" to the Spurs forum being set-up. I was not around at the time, and tbh the details are irrelevant. Suffice to say that if a similar request was made now to have such a soccer forum like that outside the Sports Category it would be unlikely to get the green light from the Admins.

The fact it is a hosted forum means it's abslutely nothing to do with the Soccer Mods or the Sports CMods, and there is no point in discussing it here. If anyone feels strongly about that particular forum, I think Feedback is the best place to discuss it

In terms of the Go Ahead Eagles, it's clear from the short time this poll has been open there is no real interest in keeping it open (and even less interest in actually posting there). Ultimately it's a decision for the Admins to take, but I'll point them towards this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

gladiator-thumbs-down.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Why is that even around? Surely it should be United or Liverpool (or United vs Liverpool!!! Keep all those arguments out of the way :pac:) that gets its own forum? Those threads are damn near impossible to keep up.

no idea.
    You should start a thread on it, we can all debate it.
    its never been done before

half-troll-face.png

Has the GAE forum disappeared? I can't seem to find it and now that the unthinkable has happened and **olle lead the Eredivisie after 6 games I doubt I'm the only one in a hate-filled frenzy in need to somewhere to vent. Eagles in 10th is a decent start too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Nah, was a good idea at the time, but never really materialised.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,697 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I bumped it with the Admins a week or two ago

Looks like they have removed it to some far flung corner of the internet

RIP Eagles ...

... awaits poll to "Bring back the Eagles"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Good riddance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Beasty wrote: »
    ... awaits poll to "Bring back the Eagles"

I am curious to know who the four people who voted to keep it were and how much they've contributed to the forum.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

If you closed down the pool forum you may aswell close boards altogether:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Fare thee well Eagles, surprised they didn't give us a myriad of 'final, last one ever I swear' tours though...

I am curious to know who the four people who voted to keep it were and how much they've contributed to the forum.
    There were no posts in the past year or two actually commenting on the team - simply a couple asking for the forum to be closed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Check on the number of people who voted for it and it'll show you who

Not even closed and archived, just... wiped!
    This is the work of the **olle mafia and they will pay...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

you had the last ever post it in :(

ek8dd.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

What Go Ahead Eagles forum? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Hipster fan nonsense. Glad it's gone.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Justice for Eagles.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,583 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Good riddance

Indeed

Somewhat ironically the idea may have had some hope of keeping a passing interest if it just had been kept to a thread on here but once it got its own forum it was doomed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Ys02GGf.png
    the Gone Away Eagles:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

Now give us our own LOI fourm. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

The eagle has landed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

BOHtox wrote: »
    The eagle has landed
    The eagle has taken flight thank fook :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

The Go Ahead Eagles have qualified for Europe!

Picked up the extra spot Holland received because of Fair Play.

FC Twente won the fair play in Holland but since their financial situation is in such a state they might not financially survive a first round against some nobodies from Kazakhstan, the nest in line got the spot.

Will be playing in Emmen though has their own stadium will be a contruction site around the time they play.

At the moment they are a bit busy to remain in the ere divisie though. have to play relegation play offs.

Advertisement