Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Led circuit problem

• 24-01-2013 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Hope ye can help? I am a complete noob in terms of circuits so any advice is greatly appreciated. I wired a single led with push to make switch a while ago but need help on this one.

I have 3 different colour LED's and 3 push to make switches that i want to connect to a 9V battery inside a small box. Two of the LED's have a 3.4V forward drop and the other is 2.4V with a Max current of 20mA. Should i wire them in series or parallel? Only one LED will be active at any one time so wondering which way is better.

Also how does one calculate resistance for this circuit?

If i have left anything out i apologize, but any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bejubby

I think its best to wire in paralell
    Use ohms law for calculations:v is voltage,I is current,r is resistance

V
    --
    I*r

Cover the letter your looking for and work out the formula.

Forget that its for series

Paralell you need to wire up the circuit
    Then get your mrasurments and we'll use a different formula

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭customPC

Wouldn't it be better to have all the values and understand it before actually wiring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Are you sure all the LED's have the same forward drop? Different colours normally have different drops

Just double checked there Chet and you are correct sorry. 2 of them have 3.4V drop and the other has 2.4V drop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Connect them like this

237874.PNG

You need to calculate the value for each resistor individually taking the voltage as (Battery Voltage - Diode Drop) and 20mA as your current

• Advertisement

Thanks Chet. Thats a great help. Now to put my soldering to the test:-)

Advertisement