Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th Year Honours Maths Help

• 24-01-2013 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,

I'm a 5th year student and I'm doing Honours Maths as the title says. The trouble I'm having is with performing well in tests.

I enjoy Maths as it's challenging and makes you "think outside the box". I was a JC A student. I'm able to do most homework questions with ease, with the exception of a few that are generally most difficult. However, when I learn from my mistakes, I'm fine and I can see where I was making the mistake, improving from it.

On the other end, when I go into tests, I just panic, go blank, and end up coming out with a crappy score, just below a D. I get so frustrated with myself because I know that I'm good at Maths. My favourite subject is Physics and I'd like to get a good Maths result in the Leaving as it is a requirement for my course.

I'd appreciate all the advice that you guys could give me.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dazzy123

Maybe you could try practising questions while under pressure maybe give yourself a time limit or something. If you practise more under pressure you'll be used to it when it comes to the next test and you'll be less likely to panic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

Pretend the test is just some homework questions you're doing and don't think of it as a test. That should help with the nerves.

Then like the person above said, just get used to practicing under time limits. No point being able to do a 10 mark question in 30 minutes you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I have the same problem. I'm in 5th year, and I got an A in the Junior Cert. My Parent/Teacher Meeting was just last week and my Mum told my teacher I'm finding it difficult.

My teacher said, basically, the new Project Maths course is so abstract, and it's difficult for "good lads" to understand it. You have to forget how the old course worked (ie, the JC format) and just start fresh.

Advertisement