Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Job Seekers Allowance - Returning from Abroad

• 24-01-2013 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

A relative of mine, who emigrated to the UK in October 2011, is being made redundant in her UK job.

She is thinking of returning home and seeking a job here - in the profession she is in, she should be able to get a job in a few months.

Her query is, will she be entitled to state benefits here, immediately on her return home, or is there a waiting period before you will be considered eligible?

Prior to emigrating, she worked in this country for some 10 years, so she has paid her full welfare contributions during that time. Also in the UK, she was a full time employee of the company (not a temp or a contractor), so has paid full contributions there too.

So, what is she entitled to when she returns and is there a waiting period before you will be considered ?

Thanks, in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Your friend will probably qualify for JSA (Jobseeker's Allowance). It's means-tested. But she has to satisfy the Habitual Residence Conditions.

The first three days of unemployment are not counted for Welfare purposes, so she needs to make the claim ASAP. Does your friend have a PPSN? Without that, any claims will not be entertained, so if she needs one, that needs to be sorted first.

Bring proof to Welfare that she intends to re-settle here. Welfare will want to see P45/P60; ferry/airline tickets, obviously proof of address here, council tax bills from the UK. The stamps she paid when previously living here will not count for the purposes of Jobseeker's Benefit which is NOT means-tested as it's awarded on stamps paid here in the last two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jkell061

I was on the jsa before I went to oz for year and a half. When I came home I start signing on n there wasn't an issue.
    She may just have to wait a while as its her first application, plus fill out a form because she's been out of the country for some time, but with UK references n the fact she's not foreigntiré shouldnt be a problem...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

She should apply for JSB's UK equivalent when she is let go. She can then claim the same when she comes back here. Her UK PRSI, for want of a better description, will be added to her previous Irish contributions to give her full entitlement. She should get full documentary proof if her benefit payments from DWP in UK to present to DSP here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

If she was working up to October 2011 when she left for the UK it is more than likely that she will qualify for jobseekers benefit going on the other info you have given e.g. she worked for 10 years prior to going to uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Just to clarify: my relative was on Job Seekers Benefit for 3 months, before emigrating in October 2011. What she needs to know is:

A) Will she be entitled to Job Seekers Benefit when she comes home

B) What steps she has to take to claim it when she comes home - in particular what documentation she needs from the UK to entitle her to Job Seekers Benefit here.

- Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Didn't I say what was required? :confused:

Poulgorm wrote: »
    Just to clarify: my relative was on Job Seekers Benefit for 3 months, before emigrating in October 2011. What she needs to know is:

A) Will she be entitled to Job Seekers Benefit when she comes home

B) What steps she has to take to claim it when she comes home - in particular what documentation she needs from the UK to entitle her to Job Seekers Benefit here.

- Thanks again.[/QUOTE

She should qualify for jobseekers benefit when she returns depending on her 2011 contributions paid in Ireland. The rate of payment depends on her average weekly earnings in 2011. If she only qualifies for a graduated rate of jsb then she will be means tested for jobseekers allowance if this proves more benficial financially to her. If jsa is the way she has to go then she will have to satisfy habitual residence as already pointed out.

When making a claim she should have her uk p45 and termination of lease from UK. If she gets employment here then she can have her contributions from UK transferred to her record her in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭buzzing147

Im on jobseekers benefit, but im going to the usa for 2 months soon to see if there is any opportunities there for me... will i still be entitled to any payments when there, and will i be able to keep getting my payments when i return?

Thanks

buzzing147 wrote: »
    Im on jobseekers benefit, but im going to the usa for 2 months soon to see if there is any opportunities there for me... will i still be entitled to any payments when there, and will i be able to keep getting my payments when i return?

Thanks

You cannot receive payment of jsb while in the US you can only transfer within europe. If your benefit isnt exhausted when you go then on your return you will be able to receive jsb again but only for the period of time remaining on your existing claim as your claims will link i.e. there will be less than 6 months between claims.

eastbono wrote: »
    You cannot receive payment of jsb while in the US you can only transfer within europe. If your benefit isnt exhausted when you go then on your return you will be able to receive jsb again but only for the period of time remaining on your existing claim as your claims will link i.e. there will be less than 6 months between claims.

Cheers for reply.
    Would i have to sign on again on a fresh claim when i return after 2 months? What do you mean by only for a period of time if benefit isnt exhausted? They will cut me off after so many months on return and receive no benefits at all?

• Advertisement

Cheers for reply.
    Would i have to sign on again on a fresh claim when i return after 2 months? What do you mean by only for a period of time if benefit isnt exhausted? They will cut me off after so many months on return and receive no benefits at all?

Jobseekers benefit only lasts 9 months or 12 months and since the budget its 6 months or 9months depending on the number of contributions you made and time you made your claim. When you return you will have to make a repeat claim. I am presuming your on jobseekers benefit if its jobseekers allowance then there is no expiry period on jsa.

Jobseekers benefit only lasts 9 months or 12 months and since the budget its 6 months or 9months depending on the number of contributions you made and time you made your claim. When you return you will have to make a repeat claim. I am presuming your on jobseekers benefit if its jobseekers allowance then there is no expiry period on jsa.

yea actually mate, its jobseekers allowance.
    So i will definitly be cut off if i go there for 2 months? Thats kind of harsh because you can get it in europe:(

Thanks for youre help

jobseekers allowance isnt tranferrable anywhere

jobseekers allowance isnt tranferrable anywhere

oh ok, so would i be cut off if i go abroad for 2 months? Or would i be able to get some kind of payment when i return?

Cheers

Yes, you would have to stop the claim when you left. And yes, you should be able to make a fresh claim for JSA when you return.

Would i not get at least 4 weeks payment when i return?

No. The claim would have to have been stopped when you left.

No. The claim would have to have been stopped when you left.

Some reports online claim you can get they can hold the claim and you can get 2 weeks payment when you return from a 2-3 month trip, not sure if thats the case though. Ill find out tomoro.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 craggle

For the girl returning from the UK if its jsb based on prsi in england she will be entitled to it but it does take a few months for the information to come from uk and claim to be paid

craggle wrote: »
    For the girl returning from the UK if its jsb based on prsi in england she will be entitled to it but it does take a few months for the information to come from uk and claim to be paid

That is incorrect in order for her contributions to kick in from the uk she needs to get one A class contribution in Ireland on her return.

• Advertisement

Some reports online claim you can get they can hold the claim and you can get 2 weeks payment when you return from a 2-3 month trip, not sure if thats the case though. Ill find out tomoro.

If you are going abroad for 2-3 months your claim will be closed and you will have to make a repeat claim on your return. What you are talking about is the 2 weeks holiday payment. Your local sw office may or may not accept a holiday application when you are leaving the country for this period of time. Depending on the office you may have to fill out a Habitual Residence Form on your return.

I'm not sure that's correct. If you're away for more than a month, then the claim's closed. That's happened to us, even though Welfare were told our situation was only temporary.

Advertisement