Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth going travelling with no degree?

Options
  • 24-01-2013 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

I have been working in an office for years but have no formal qualification so was wondering would it be worth travelling if I don't have one in terms of employment ? Has anyone been to aus and got work with no degree ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

QueenBee1 wrote: »
    I have been working in an office for years but have no formal qualification so was wondering would it be worth travelling if I don't have one in terms of employment ? Has anyone been to aus and got work with no degree ?

You don't need a degree to find a job, even if you did have a degree there is no guarantee you would get a job in that field. Plenty of people that have and have not degrees working find work in retail, call centres, fruit picking, offices, sales, labouring & bar work.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Starburst85

You've got experience working in an office and that is all you need :)

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭QueenBee1

Thanks for the replies guys! Really want to go for a while at least but everyone on here seems to have just graduated or graduated in the past few years so feeling a bit conscious !

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭In Exile

It all depends on who you try and apply for. When it comes to the companies themselves, they mainly look for qualifications over foreign experience. Some don't take much notice of what experience is gained somewhere else unless it is with a well known multinational.

The only good thing is, most office jobs go through a recruitment agent. If you can spruce up your cv to read well and have a good cover letter, you will, most of the time, get an interview.

Then it is just a matter of bullsh*tting your way through those interviews.

I was in the exact same boat as you when I got here. Loads of experience, no degree. Takes a bit of hard work but it is possible

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

I guess the biggest thing to take from this is that if you do go on a WHV with no qualifications ensure you've got enough cash to sustain you for a while as it may take you a while to get a job. But it's not impossible to get one. Two mates came over with only Tesco working experience and got labouring jobs within a couple of weeks.

Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

What's your plans, just come over for one year and head home after? If you have some skills, experience and cop-on you should find a job. However if you are looking to use the whv as a stepping stone to emigrating here then no formal qualifications will make things a lot harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 New2Oz

In Exile wrote: »
    It all depends on who you try and apply for. When it comes to the companies themselves, they mainly look for qualifications over foreign experience. Some don't take much notice of what experience is gained somewhere else unless it is with a well known multinational.

The only good thing is, most office jobs go through a recruitment agent. If you can spruce up your cv to read well and have a good cover letter, you will, most of the time, get an interview.

Then it is just a matter of bullsh*tting your way through those interviews.

I was in the exact same boat as you when I got here. Loads of experience, no degree. Takes a bit of hard work but it is possible

I don't really agree with this in my experience. The gf (who has an Oz passport) has applied for at least 30 jobs in insurance/administration (office jobs) since before Christmas and has only heard back from maybe 3 or 4 and even at that it was a case of "you have been unsuccessful". Wouldn't mind but her CV is very well laid out etc. I'm the same, applied for a good few jobs, even handed out CV's but got nothing. It'd p!ss ya off no end and not make you want to even bother trying anymore!

OP, I wouldn't worry too much about not having a degree. I've an honours degree in engineering with a few years experience in US multinationals and that hasn't got me any work over here despite my best efforts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

QueenBee1 wrote: »

I was in Australia for one year. I went immediately after finishing secondary school with no qualifications. I had next to no experience working at home bar this and that.
    In Australia I worked in bars,warehouses,furniture removing etc. I had friends who had no qualifications who worked in offices. They all Joined agencies,one that I can remember is called "Hallis" not sure on the spelling sorry.
    I remember when they joined they had to do a computer skills test,they said it was handy enough and they all got work from it.
    There are always jobs going in food courts and Pubs etc,on hostel noticeboards they're loads of different types of work going,stuff u mightn't necessarily do at home but it gets u by if your stuck. Nothing weird or dodgy btw just more fck this crap kind of work ha. You should definitely go for it,You'll get on grand if your hearts in it

New2Oz wrote: »
    I don't really agree with this in my experience. The gf (who has an Oz passport) has applied for at least 30 jobs in insurance/administration (office jobs) since before Christmas and has only heard back from maybe 3 or 4 and even at that it was a case of "you have been unsuccessful". Wouldn't mind but her CV is very well laid out etc. I'm the same, applied for a good few jobs, even handed out CV's but got nothing. It'd p!ss ya off no end and not make you want to even bother trying anymore!

OP, I wouldn't worry too much about not having a degree. I've an honours degree in engineering with a few years experience in US multinationals and that hasn't got me any work over here despite my best efforts.

That's sh1tty man,If u got work with your qualifications you would be on top top dollar over there. You can apply for a ABN which means u are your own boss and u don't pay tax throughout the year but u pay it in one lump sum at the end. Loads of lads done that and fcked off back home without paying it

If I was you,I'd just try and get any work in the meantime,it might open up doors for u to get what u want and at least your earning something but I understand why you want to do what your qualified in after working your arse off for years getting it. Labourers made around a grand a week when I was there. Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

What a waste of time my response was

Advertisement