Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Broadband

• 24-01-2013 8:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Any of ye Limerick lads order the Sky Broadband deal over the last few weeks?

Looking forward to getting mine up and running, 10 a month, cant go wrong.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Guy tried to deliver HUB today but I was out. I will hook it up tomorrow and let you know. I'm in Newport though so less speed than you. On my Vodafone I get about 5mbps. Line can handle up to 6mpbs here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

Cheers Baron, I'd say not much faster than you. I'm out in Caherconlish, with Eircom 6MB NGB, Sky says line can handle 10MB, doubt that, but we will give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 midasman

OB, €10 extra pm? I registered interest but haven't got prices yet from them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

There was a number you could call to get involved in an extended trial. Not sure if it's still going.

midasman wrote: »
    OB, €10 extra pm? I registered interest but haven't got prices yet from them

I think the offer ended for initial beta testing customers on the 18th January. Go to this thread which is a long discussion on it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82770600

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 midasman

thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Just so you are all aware. Sky will not be installing any equipment in the exchanges.
    They are simply reselling existing DSL broadband, so if your current speed is 5MB (for example) then it will still be 5MB with Sky.
    It's all down to whoever provides the best value for money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

Ours has been up and running since mid-December and no problems so far. We're out in Cappamore.

Speed the same as with Vodafone (5mb), upload speed just a bit faster. The main difference has been that we haven't experienced any dropping out so far, unlike with VF where it dropped out at least once a day.

Overall, highly delighted and saving €25/month into the bargain. What can be bad about that :D

Just to give ye an update - Hub arrived, eircom dropped connection today so hooked up all the sky equipment, first hour I was getting 11MB - DL speed, however,now only 2 - 3MB. Was told that for the first 2-3 days dont worry about the speeds, that the speeds will settle down.

Hope so.....

My hub is not working since Friday when it arrived. They sent a recovery cd but it didnt help. I'm waiting for a courier now to bring the new hub but I'm using the Vodafone one in the meantime.

They have been very helpful to be fair to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

Beer Baron wrote: »
    My hub is not working since Friday when it arrived. They sent a recovery cd but it didnt help. I'm waiting for a courier now to bring the new hub but I'm using the Vodafone one in the meantime.

They have been very helpful to be fair to them.

been from newport myself i cant even get vodafone reception on my moblie never mind broadband :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

mine is up and running a few days now..so far so good:)

New Hub arrived today. 3 Speed Checks later the average is 5.56MBPS which is great for Newport. Averaging about 3.5MBPS with Vodafone. My ISP is showing up as Esat Telecommunications not Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I got up and running last night too. I was getting about 320k download speed with Vodafone, now getting 550k-590k with Sky. Absolutely delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Getting serious dips in speed in the evenings (5.75 to 1.5) - seems to be a pattern on the rural exchanges nationwide.
    Worth giving Sky a call if you have this issue

They have said that your speed will not be accurate until your line is active at least 10 days. I had similar with Vodafone, they said the line might say "Up to 6mb" but the traffic on the line might run better with 4mb.

Sky said something similar. They will audit people's lines and correct the speeds so that you have a near constant good speed rather than dips.

Beer Baron wrote: »
    They have said that your speed will not be accurate until your line is active at least 10 days. I had similar with Vodafone, they said the line might say "Up to 6mb" but the traffic on the line might run better with 4mb.

Sky said something similar. They will audit people's lines and correct the speeds so that you have a near constant good speed rather than dips.

On day 8 alright - read somewhere that the 10 day testing is only relevant to LLU exchanges (mine's Eircom only and not NGB enabled). Mine is the Clonlara exchange.

Let's see what happens - Sky have logged an issue with "the wholesalers" (Eircom).

I was on flat 2.7 with Vodafone before. would love to keep the 5.75- big difference in browsing and Netflix streams in HD now also

Well lads, after a up and down day 2, I got between 2.5 to 3.8.Yesterday and today I am getting over 10MB, very, very happy with this. I got a DL speed of 1.4MB last nite. I hope that they keep this up and dont throttle it back, as Eircom did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

anyone got an update with speeds and the like. Dying to get away from upc but the broadband speeds kind of keep me but the box and craig doyle make me want to commit brutal murder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I doubt you will get better than UPC speed, all Sky are offering is DSL broadband that uses the Eircom exchange infrastructure. The DSL speed will depend on the speed of your local exchange.

• Advertisement

Jes, if I could get UPC I wouldnt leave them. Their speeds aren't matched. Although if they only improve their TV lineup, a lot more people would join em.

In my estate I was stuck with Eircom but at least now, I have getting decent speeds with Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Iang87 wrote: »
    anyone got an update with speeds and the like. Dying to get away from upc but the broadband speeds kind of keep me but the box and craig doyle make me want to commit brutal murder

I am in Crecora on Vodafone-at-home (using the Patrickswell exchange ....just upgraded to next-gen).I now have a constant 5 meg download, and no contention drop in the evenings.
    Sky will simply sell whatever Eircom can supply, they are not installing any "faster" gear in the exchanges.
    My mother lives near Caherdavin and has UPC "Fibre-powered" BB. Her upload speeds are faster than my download speeds..........stick with UPC.

Sky for TV - UPC for broadband (if you can get it)

Put your number into the checker on http://www.homevision.ie/ to get an idea of what your line can handle

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Sky for TV - UPC for broadband (if you can get it)

Put your number into the checker on http://www.homevision.ie/ to get an idea of what your line can handle

is homevision a stand alone company or do they use other companies services.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 damull

Were these €10 offers a prelinmary once off thing?

I'm already an existing TV subscriber and I just received an offer for the new Broadband service through the door which is charging €40 for a Phone/Broadband offer, or a €30 offer which has a measly 2GB download limit!

There is no mention of a stand alone Broadband offer or a TV/Broadband only bundle. If this is the best they can offer, they can keep it.

damull wrote: »

Yes for a limited number to test the network and the reward was 12 months at that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

damull wrote: »

I'm already an existing TV subscriber and I just received an offer for the new Broadband service through the door which is charging €40 for a Phone/Broadband offer, or a €30 offer which has a measly 2GB download limit!

There is no mention of a stand alone Broadband offer or a TV/Broadband only bundle. If this is the best they can offer, they can keep it.

Is that offer for talk anytime + unlimited broadband ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

amdaley28 wrote: »
    Is that offer for talk anytime + unlimited broadband ?

€40 is for talk freetime (evenings and weekends to Irish landlines) + unlimited broadband

It's €47.50 for talk anytime + unlimited BB

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I was waiting on Sky releasing their prices and was very disappointed. Moving into a new house next week and have already sorted out UPC, €44 a month for 50mb fibre power BB, half price for the first 4 months :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Ankhyu wrote: »
    €40 is for talk freetime (evenings and weekends to Irish landlines) + unlimited broadband

It's €47.50 for talk anytime + unlimited BB

That's what I was paying with Vodafone but with a 40Gb download limit before I went on the Sky trial. I also had anytime calls to the UK & Mobile minutes as well even though I never used the mobile minutes.
    The Sky €47.50 deal is unlimited bb & is faster where your line can take it.It also has international landline calls & mobile to the US,Australia & New Zealand I think.
    I think the Sky deal is better even though the prices are similar.

Advertisement