Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

amdaley28 wrote: »
    That's what I was paying with Vodafone but with a 40Gb download limit before I went on the Sky trial. I also had anytime calls to the UK & Mobile minutes as well even though I never used the mobile minutes.
    The Sky €47.50 deal is unlimited bb & is faster where your line can take it.It also has international landline calls & mobile to the US,Australia & New Zealand I think.
    I think the Sky deal is better even though the prices are similar.

Don't think mobiles are included, but yeah there's 20 countries you can call landlines for free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Ankhyu wrote: »
    Don't think mobiles are included, but yeah there's 20 countries you can call landlines for free

Includes US an Canadian Mobile Numbers though. I have Sky myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

Must admint, I thought sky would have came in at a lower price point, 25-30 quid to rob customers from Eircom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

djsim101 wrote: »
    Must admint, I thought sky would have came in at a lower price point, 25-30 quid to rob customers from Eircom

I'm not sure if Eircom have to many customers any more :)
    I thought Sky would be a bit cheaper as well.

I know man. Can't believe that I was with them for 2 years. Suppose I didnt have a choice. Glad Sky came in, and although its the same technology behind the BB service, I am getting 3X the download speed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

just signed up for the sky broadband to the fella that came to my door...hope i dont regret it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

They are using Eircoms (and to a lesser extent BT Irelands) infrastructure, Eircom are already charging Sky a high enough price to use their infrastructure so Sky's hands are somewhat tied when it comes to price.

Unless they actually invest in their own infrastructure this wont have any major impact.

If anyone can get UPC, I recommend they do over options like this.

I think line rental from Eircom could be about 25 or 30 euro? So there isn't really much wiggle room for prices to drop

Probably correct, but they could have discounted the first 6 months, to get more people on board.

Their biggest selling point is the unlimited dl, but in fairness, most of the other carriers offered up to 500gb data.

Still, I happy with sky bb, find em better than Eircom

Ankhyu wrote: »
    I think line rental from Eircom could be about 25 or 30 euro? So there isn't really much wiggle room for prices to drop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

Cheers Baron, I'd say not much faster than you. I'm out in Caherconlish, with Eircom 6MB NGB, Sky says line can handle 10MB, doubt that, but we will give it a go.
    Hello djsim, how did u get on with switching to sky?
    I live in the village, currently with Vodafone up to 8mb, getting 2.57. I am thinking of giving sky a go but would appreciate some feedback.
    Thanks

• Advertisement

Hey man, we are neighbours so :D

Just did a speed test there:

24c87wz.jpg

I changed over cos of the tenner deal, not expecting much to be honest, but am very happy so far with the speeds. I am getting about 10MB speeds, with 1.4MB DL speed, which is nearly 3X times faster than I had with Eircom - I was on their 8MB NGB and was capped at 500kbps.

If you need any other info, let me know or PM me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Djsim101. Can you tell me what your line is rated at. Mine is 6 mb I am with utv Internet. But there speed has dropped a lot since Christmas. And I have had a lot of problems with them. They throttle my speed between 10 in the morning and 12 at night if i use any bittorrent . I am paying them around 60 euros a month for BB and I don't think there service is worth it. Not lately anyway.

That seems very expensive man. Eircom rated my speed at 5MB tops, got about 2 - 4.5MB on speedtest.

Sky rated at 10MB, and as you can see, from my screenshot, that is what I am getting, without been throttled, I specifically asked the Sky Rep do Sky throttle back speeds and she said no, and this would be their biggest selling point, and to be fair, it doesnt seem that they have (so far)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

I called Sky yesterday to see about changing over. During the chat I had the sales agent done a speed test on the line and said he could only offer 2mb!! I done a speed test while we spoke and I'm currently getting 6mb from Eircom. How, if they are using eircom's lines and exchanges can there be such a difference?? I did ask the sales lad but he didn't seem to know anything beyond his sales blurb. Really fustrated as I want to get away from Eircom due to piss poor customer relations issues.
    Anyone in Kildare/Newbridge signed up yet???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Thanks a million djsim I will give them a ring tomorrow

Cheers, let me know how you get on.
    Thanks a million djsim I will give them a ring tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

Hi Guys, didn't want to start a new thread on the subject but thought i'd share my speeds with you right after switch to Sky.

4Rm3dH.jpg

As you can see, it's nearly half the speed of Vodafone but i'm told that the line is in training mode and sky will continually up the speed over the next 10 days until it becomes unstable. The highest speed it achieved before becoming unstable is the speed you'll receive. I was Quoted upto 16.6mb/s so i'm hopeful.

Double the speed of Vodafone at €20 less per month.

Hey bikes, funny enough for the last week or so my speeds are gone down from a steady 10meg to around 4meg. Still getting a dl speed of over meg which im happy with but still, why the sudden drop.
    Must get on to them

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭bedstuybosco

Anybody know if u previously had an eircom line but got rid of the landline can u still get sky broadband? Do I have to get eircom to reconnect the line?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Anybody know if u previously had an eircom line but got rid of the landline can u still get sky broadband? Do I have to get eircom to reconnect the line?

Thanks in advance

For Sky BB you need a landline. Not sure if Sky will reconnect it if you go with them or if Eircom need to. Give them a ring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭bedstuybosco

bazz26 wrote: »
    For Sky BB you need a landline. Not sure if Sky will reconnect it if you go with them or if Eircom need to. Give them a ring.

Yeah I have the landline with all the points etc but just cancelled the account when bills got too much.

Yeah I have the landline with all the points etc but just cancelled the account when bills got too much.

Sky will activate a line for you, no need to contact eircom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

Thanks in advance

Are you in any if the exchange areas where Eircom will have their fibre to the cab broadband?

For ye that have the Sky broadband, how are ye finding it so far? We have eircom as there is no UPC available in NCW and its brutal but I've heard good things about Sky. Is it worth the change? We have Sky TV too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

We've had it since December last year, when it first became available. Had no problems with it so far and has been more consistent than when we had Vodafone, ie no drop-outs at all. Very happy with it and could recommend.

FYI I live out in Cappamore and getting around 6mb download speed. Ok, it's not as good as the city but it's good enough for us :)

Mollywolly wrote: »
    We've had it since December last year, when it first became available. Had no problems with it so far and has been more consistent than when we had Vodafone, ie no drop-outs at all. Very happy with it and could recommend.

FYI I live out in Cappamore and getting around 6mb download speed. Ok, it's not as good as the city but it's good enough for us :)

Cheers. I think we'll change and see what its like. Anything is probably better to what we have at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

shaaane wrote: »
    Cheers. I think we'll change and see what its like. Anything is probably better to what we have at the moment.

Hope it works out for you. I feel kinda responsible now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just be aware that if Eircom's eFibre is being rolled out in your area soon then be aware that because Sky have only recently entered the BB market they will be one of the last providers to get the upgrade to eFibre. So my advice is check on the Eircom website when your area is being upgraded before deciding to sign up to Sky.

Also if you are an existing Sky TV subscriber then they are offering free BB for six months if you switch to them. Now this sounds very attractive as if you are paying nothing for 6 months but when you read into it, it means that their BB service of €10 per month is free but you still have to pay the monthly line rental of €30 for the first 6 months and €40 thereafter. Now my understanding is that line rental from Eircom and other ISPs is €25 so that means to me that Sky are charging you €5 extra for getting the line rental through them. Also check out the dedicated broadband forum, some people have been experiencing terrible performance problems with Sky BB depending on what exchange they are on.

So make sure you are well informed before signing up.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Just be aware that if Eircom's eFibre is being rolled out in your area soon then be aware that because Sky have only recently entered the BB market they will be one of the last providers to get the upgrade to eFibre. So my advice is check on the Eircom website when your area is being upgraded before deciding to sign up to Sky.

Also if you are an existing Sky TV subscriber then they are offering free BB for six months if you switch to them. Now this sounds very attractive as if you are paying nothing for 6 months but when you read into it, it means that their BB service of €10 per month is free but you still have to pay the monthly line rental of €30 for the first 6 months and €40 thereafter. Now my understanding is that line rental from Eircom and other ISPs is €25 so that means to me that Sky are charging you €5 extra for getting the line rental through them. Also check out the dedicated broadband forum, some people have been experiencing terrible performance problems with Sky BB depending on what exchange they are on.

So make sure you are well informed before signing up.

Thanks bazz. Just had a look there and NCW is due to be upgraded between July and December (does this mean more roadworks? :(). Looks like I'll have to do a bit more research before I decide to change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Colemania

I've had Sky out in Patrickswell (not in the village) for the last few months and we were quoted as getting 8mb and we're getting 1.6mb. That's all we got with Pure telecom/eircom also but this is beyond the joke. Any reasons as to why the line is only picking up 1.6mb and any possible solution to it?

Advertisement