Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reset Linksys Router wont connect to internet

• 24-01-2013 9:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭

Ok, not sure if I'm in the right forum here so Mods please move if required.
    Also, while I'm not a chimp I'm not a computer whiz either. I can get it to do most of what I need but the tech stuff can give me a brain ache at times.
    I'm using Linksys wrp400 and win7 and have Ice (ripplecom broadband)
    I was trying to install a Foscam security cam in the house, got it set up no problem but couldn't access it from iPhone from outside our wifi. Checked online and it said I had to set up port forwarding. When I tried to do that I was asked for the routers username and password.

Now I have the router for years and couldn't find any record of username or password anywhere. Tried the default ones but they didnt work. Contacted Ice and they said they don't give out the admin and password (??? it's my bloody password FFS) but they could do the setup for me usually within 24-48 hrs if I put my request in writing. Personally I thought that was a load of bóllóx. I don't want anyone else being able to access my camera (Maybe they can't but I don't know that)

I went back online to see what else I could do for myself in the meantime and lo and behold saw that I could just reset the router and use the default passwords to set it up myself.

So I pressed Reset.
    "Ice" network disappeared and I was left with "LinksysACFE" and no Internet. So I connected the laptop directly to the modem and that wouldn't connect.

So I had to ring Ice again with my tail between my legs and ask for assistance. As it turns out it just wouldn't connect with the cable because it's a fairly new laptop and I had never set up the PPPowhatever it is before.

The guy got me set up within a few minutes but , and here's the next bit I find odd, now I have to post back my router so they can reconfigure it and they'll set up my security cam from down there.

Are they talking shíte or am I just too skeptical of them? I have seen nowhere online that says my ISP needs to set up my home security system for me. In fact all the Youtube setup videos show people just doing all this from their own home. What if the router had just blown out and I bought a new one? Would They have to set it up for me too? Seems like a ball of wánk to me TBH

Can anyone here tell me what to do or should I just bite the bullet and post it off to them? The router was working perfectly until a few hours ago so it's not broken.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

If they set it up you will most likely have to get them to do it as it will need a static IP address to get on their network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Sorry for sounding like a complete thick but does that mean they have to physically plug it in to their own network to fix it? Surely they could do it on line for me? And is it standard for ISPs not to provide you with your own admin details for something like setting up a wireless camera? I was left with the impression that if they gave me the password then I would lose tech support from them

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Laws need to be brought in to stop ISPs alike locking access from admin settings on products you own. Network equipment especially.

I doubt they would give it to you.

Advertisement