Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Explorer Crash When Opening Any Folder

Options
  • 24-01-2013 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

Hi,

I am having a issue with my PC at the moment, as the title says, I double click to open a folder and generally it causes the window to crash, but I can still minimize the window but I have to press the X button to close it which causes the explorer to close and reload. I started in safe mode and I have no problem browsing through folders there. All applications are opening with no problems whatsoever, its only when I enter folders that this issue arises. I have tried 'regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll' which does not help. I have tried to set all folders to be lists or tiles to stop image preview thumbnails, still no help.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

XP or Windows 7 ? Reinstall of the OS out of the question ? Have u tried running Ad-aware?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭MRPRO03

bmm wrote: »
    XP or Windows 7 ? Reinstall of the OS out of the question ? Have u tried running Ad-aware?

Windows XP

I have a lot programs that I use regulary and do not want to lose them.

I have ran anti-virus (Avira), malware (MalwareBytes), adware (Ad-Adware, Super Anti-Spyware, Spybot) and many others and still no luck.

I have to use a file manager application in order to open folders and that goes through the folders with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

This happens to me also and when it does i can SOMETIMES open task manager and END TASK on "explorer.exe" for a few seconds then restart it and it corrects the problem.... (Other times a reboot is needed)

I think it has to do with ram and too much used or something,im not sure......

Good luck buddy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Wheres the 'any' folder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Have you ran scandisk to ensure your disk isn't corrupt ?

Also, have you added any Explorer add-ons recently?
    Eg. TortoiseSVN, TreeSize or the like ?
    They can cause issues.

• Advertisement

Yes, have done scandisk, no errors.

I went through all my installed programs, and nothing in relation to explorer was there.

Actually found out that spybot 2 was the cause of the error in case anyone wanted to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Thank you for posting your solution...

Im glad ya got it corrected icon7.gif

Advertisement