Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting videotapes to DVDs

• 24-01-2013 10:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

Hi, we recently found some old home videos in VCR format, and want to get them transferred to DVDs.
    My aunt got it done at home and it cost 30e for one tape to be done, so hoping to find a place that would do it cheaper.
    Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

You're probably better off getting a capture card or lead to run the vcr (if you have one) to your own laptop, its easy enough to do, and would cost you a fraction of paying someone else to do it. try amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_7?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=vhs+converter+to+dvd&sprefix=vhs+con%2Caps%2C155

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I think Living social or grab one have a deal on one of those cables at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

Brilliant, didn't think such a thing exsisted, thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you want to get it done locally then talk to Tony or Sean in FSV (Future Sound Vision) on Upper William Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

I have recently started doing it from home on my days off, I charge €6 per hour of tape and offer discounts for quantity also converting old lp and tape to cd at €5 each. pm me if interested dave. find us on facebook also convert.it

• Advertisement

daveob007 wrote: »
    I have recently started doing it from home on my days off, I charge €6 per hour of tape and offer discounts for quantity also converting old lp and tape to cd at €5 each. pm me if interested dave. find us on facebook also convert.it

I'll see if my Aunt is interested, Thanks!

biohaiid wrote: »
    I'll see if my Aunt is interested, Thanks!

no bother at all,i am in limerick city will pm my phone number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

USB video grabber on sale today in LIDL for 25 euro...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

I'm really interested in this lead!...

Is there software with the leads does anyone or is just a matter of connecting the lead to the VCR?...

Obviously I'm not techie!

I've seen it on the LIDL website there a minute ago..

can't imagine it would be too hard to be honest. might be some basic software to install on your laptop.

give it a lash and if it doesn't work just bring it back

• Advertisement

can't imagine it would be too hard to be honest. might be some basic software to install on your laptop.

give it a lash and if it doesn't work just bring it back

I'm off to LIDL in the morning!.....I have stacks of VHS tapes, there'll be no stopping me....lol!!:D:D

Great idea from the op!!...:)

USB video grabber on sale today in LIDL for 25 euro...

Link? I can't find it online

there site is undergoing maintainance so go to their homepage and flick through their online brochure its in there

people discussing it here

http://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/309701-usb-video-grabber-lidl.html

handy for €25 but software not up to much,also very time consuming procedure ,
    but grand for simple transfer

Update!

Just been to LIDL and, according to staff, they are having problems with the supplier and the cables didn't arrive. He wasn't sure if they are coming in again....

So off I toddled to Power City and they have a USB 2.0 Video Grabber (Item No. VG250) which is basically the same thing for 14.95.

It contains a USB Grabber, USB cable, Drive & Application CD and a 3 to 3 AV cable.

Hope this does the trick!...:)

Update!

Just been to LIDL and, according to staff, they are having problems with the supplier and the cables didn't arrive. He wasn't sure if they are coming in again....

So off I toddled to Power City and they have a USB 2.0 Video Grabber (Item No. VG250) which is basically the same thing for 14.95.

It contains a USB Grabber, USB cable, Drive & Application CD and a 3 to 3 AV cable.

Hope this does the trick!...:)

Where is Power City?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

biohaiid wrote: »
    Where is Power City?

Dublin, Wicklow, Louth and Kildare! :pac:

http://www.powercity.ie/?action=contact

I asked if you were outside Dublin can you post and they said contact them and they would help in anyway they can, just C&P this and see if they can assist. This is not suitable for Windows 8 afaik.

Advertisement