Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a science needed for colleges ?

• 24-01-2013 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I want to move from biology so i can do history but do certain colleges demand a science subject ? And what are the disadvantages of not doing a science ? All help is appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Cdog33 wrote: »
    I want to move from biology so i can do history but do certain colleges demand a science subject ? And what are the disadvantages of not doing a science ? All help is appreciated. Thanks

No. Certain courses, for example healthcare, science, engineering etc. may have an entry requirement that includes a science subject.

I didn't study a science subject last year, my optional subjects were: French, Music, Geography, Business and Economics.

The course I'm studying now (Psychology) didn't have an entry requirement of science. However one of our main modules for semester 1 was Biological Psychology, despite not having studied science since JC I've managed the work and am sure I've passed the exam.

So no, would be my honest answer but ensure you check the requirements for courses you may be interested in to make sure you don't need LC Science before you move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Hi, certain courses do ask for a science subject! i know the course i want to do does, you really just need to check every course individually that you think you will want on your cao , i would advise you to do a science as i think it is often needed but it depends on what you are interested in!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Cdog33

No. Certain courses, for example healthcare, science, engineering etc. may have an entry requirement that includes a science subject.

I didn't study a science subject last year, my optional subjects were: French, Music, Geography, Business and Economics.

The course I'm studying now (Psychology) didn't have an entry requirement of science. However one of our main modules for semester 1 was Biological Psychology, despite not having studied science since JC I've managed the work and am sure I've passed the exam.

So no, would be my honest answer but ensure you check the requirements for courses you may be interested in to make sure you don't need LC Science before you move.

aimzLc2 wrote: »
    Hi, certain courses do ask for a science subject! i know the course i want to do does, you really just need to check every course individually that you think you will want on your cao , i would advise you to do a science as i think it is often needed but it depends on what you are interested in!

Thanks for your help ye i dont see myself doing a sience course so i might just move. thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

Yeah a lot of the science courses do require a science subject. In courses like Engineering as well doing physics and chemistry in the Leaving Cert can be a huge help for your degree as well so one could say they're pretty much essential if you want to do engineering.
    To be honest I'd recommend you keep biology because I know that you need science for a lot more courses than history - which probably isn't required for any course at all. Therefore you'll be keeping your options open in the event you have a change of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 taraelizabeth

Don't do history, too much work, not easy to get points!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

I think if the OP wants to MOVE from biology to history s/he is highly unlikely to be choosing science as a university/college course! So if you're choosing arts for college or something it is unlikely that you need science to get in and in saying that, 11 years ago when I started my science degree in NUIG there was a girl in my class who hadn't done science since Junior Cert and had managed to get in...she found it hard but university is designed to take you from no knowledge in a course so she kept going....makes it kinda boring though for those of us with lots of science behind us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

As stated above, Biology is a requirement for far more courses than History. I'd keep it in case you suddenly have a change of mind. You want to keep your options as open as possible unless you're 100% sure of what you want to do.

Also, it's good to have a science whether you intend to study it at 3rd level or not. Biology is a nice subject and one that you could do very well in given a bit of work! There's nothing too demanding in it, just a mountain of learning to plough through. I can't speak for history as I don't do it, but I've heard it's a lot of work, and don't forget there's a substantial project to do in that subject as well that you should look into before you move.

Unless you absolutely detest biology and/or have a passion for history and can't wait until third level to start studying it (you can get into an arts degree and study history without having done it for the LC), then you should probably stay put. The choice is yours though, at the end of the day. Do what makes you happy, just make sure you've got yourself covered first. :)

Advertisement