Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OMD - Vicar St., May 30

Options
  • 24-01-2013 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭

They're coming back, with new album English Electric due soon. From the sound of the snipped they've released, there's a bit of Dazzle Ships influence kicking in:

If you haven't seen them, they're excellent live, and wowed the Electric Picnic last year. Tickets at the usual suspects from next Thursday (31/01).

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭freddiemoore

Just heard about this on the radio today. Haven't really been to much gigs but might head to this if I can rustle up a few friends to go with! You reckon they put on a great show!?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I've seen them a few years ago and they gave it all!!!! Absolutely brilliant!!!
    I bought my ticket already, hope the new album has something to offer too (If not, their back catalogue is more than enough. . .)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Metroland was a bit too Kraftwerk-ish for my taste, but it makes much more sense in the video single remix:

Now Night Café has been officially released on YouTube, and I'm digging it even more:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I've seen them three times in recent years. They're always great.
    Architecture and Morality is possibly my favourite album of all time.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

The new album is absolutely excellent, and is available on vinyl in a nice, die-cut sleeve (redolent of the original issue of Architecture and Morality). It's easily one of their best - I'd go so far as to rate it up there with A&M and Dazzle Ships, primarily because it plays like a nice hybrid of the two: the catchy pop balanced out by some brief interludes with disembodied speaking voices. It's like the best album they never made in the mid to late eighties.
    By all accounts, they also won the crowd over at Coachella last weekend. As Andy remarked on stage, "The moral of the story is not to be afraid of middle-aged men with syntheisers". Really looking forward to the gig now.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 78 ✭✭ponceprhea

They were great at electric picnic a couple of years ago.

Just checked the setlist from recent gigs, they cover most of the career.
    This is going to be epic!!

Opening act will be Wonder Villains.

When I saw there was a new post here, I was terrified it had been cancelled or something. Phew.
    Yeah, the set list is excellent. Looking forward to it. As I remarked before, they're always great in concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Got tickets last night. Really looking forward to it. Last time I saw them was in the Stadium in the 80's:eek:

Is everybody ready for tonight? Wish you all a great time!

Couldn't find exact times, just that the doors open at 7:30. Judging from the setlist, it will be nearly 2 hours, so they should be on stage around nine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

Irish Aris wrote: »
    Is everybody ready for tonight? Wish you all a great time!

Couldn't find exact times, just that the doors open at 7:30. Judging from the setlist, it will be nearly 2 hours, so they should be on stage around nine.

On the Aiken Promotions facebook page it states:

"TONIGHT OMD take over Vicar Street with special guests The Wonder Villains.

Please note the following stage times;

The Wonder Villains 8.10-8.40
    OMD 9.10-10.50

Limited tickets available through Ticketmaster Ireland NOW!"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

bnt wrote: »
    Metroland was a bit too Kraftwerk-ish

Going myself later, the whole album is a homage to Kraftwerk and all the better for it, its much better than their last, largely forgettable one, Kraftwerk are the best band in the history of electronic music, OMD are minnows in comparison , but very good minnows.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭freddiemoore

Going myself later, the whole album is a homage to Kraftwerk and all the better for it, its much better than their last, largely forgettable one, Kraftwerk are the best band in the history of electronic music, OMD are minnows in comparison , but very good minnows.

Luckily getting to see Kraftwerk in July at Longitude, but woulda loved to have seen OMD too. Damn work!! Hope everyone has a good time, and hope I get a chance to see em some other time!

A truly phenomenal show to a very respectably-sold venue.
    The new material went down very well and the hits just kept on coming.
    Andy really is an exceptional frontman. He gets the crowd going for everything. Even something "obscure" like Sister Marie Says from History of Modern had the place hopping.
    And we got the three song encore (including Secret) that they'd all but abandoned earlier in the tour.
    Superb stuff.

... and I thought the Wonder Villains were great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Have to agree. Absolutely fantastic gig and great audience.
    A truly phenomenal show to a very respectably-sold venue.
    The new material went down very well and the hits just kept on coming.
    Andy really is an exceptional frontman. He gets the crowd going for everything. Even something "obscure" like Sister Marie Says from History of Modern had the place hopping.
    And we got the three song encore (including Secret) that they'd all but abandoned earlier in the tour.
    Superb stuff.

... and I thought the Wonder Villains were great too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

5th time seeing them and never let me down yet. Really had the crowd going too. Also, at 46, it was nice not to be the oldest one in the crowd for a change ;)

brayblue24 wrote: »
    5th time seeing them and never let me down yet. Really had the crowd going too. Also, at 46, it was nice not to be the oldest one in the crowd for a change ;)

agreed. I am just a few years younger, but it was definitely our generation mostly attending the gig on Thursday!
    Only my second time seeing them live, I think they are still brilliant! The setlist was very good, the songs from the new album sound very well live.
    Until next time!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

I bought History of Modern after one of the gigs and wasn't overly impressed but when I heard History of Modern (part 1) the other night it blew me away.

Mind you, several pints of Carlsberg helped :D:D

Advertisement