Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marine and Plant Engineering

Options
  • 24-01-2013 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hey Guys ive been recently looking at some jobs for my future career .. One that came across my mind was a Marine Engineer .. Im not sure but One of my friends brothers are doing it i think? and from what i heard life is pretty sweet getting to travel etc .. I know theres a course at CIT and you need 320 points .. Just a couple questions .. Whats the Salary of a marine like? I was also wondering how much does the course cost? and would I be able to get a grant for it (I dont know much so sorry if I sound stupid) From What I hear its a pretty sweet job .. You also have to pass a fitness exam? I have to admit im not exactly 'fit' .. would this stop me from getting into the course?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

320 points should be enough.

The course is intense and it needs your full commitment, it's done through the Maritime college in Ringaskiddy, a 20 minute drive or so or an hour on the bus (such a long trip!). Attendance is taken pretty seriously. I decided to do Mechanical Engineering in CIT instead because I wasn't that into marine.

Roughly, if you don't live at home and you haven't done an undergrad degree before then you you should get a grant. If you live at home it's less likely, though it's more complicated than that.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Echoing what the previous poster said, to get through marine who have to be very committed to it, theres no doubt its the type of course where theres worldwide opportunity for you when you finish it, but you do see a fair few people go for marine eng, and then swapping to mechanical eng.

This may seem like a joke but I'd like to point out that marine is not like this:

Get a degree
    Get a job that pays 100k a year
    At sea for 3 months
    Las Vegas for the other 9 months

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Hey Yall

I dont expect this to be a breeze of a course .. I am fully commited to what I do and I work very Hard in school especially in Engineering , Maths , Science so Im not one of those people that think oh look 320 points .. This will be a breeze .. From What I heard the course is very tough but when finished their is a good career opportunity out of it .. I was wondering anyone know anything about the fitness test? I would not consider myself to be the fittest person alive but I wouldnt say im that obese either .. I have a great interest in swimming aswell .. I would also consider Mechanical Engineering but Im wondering is there many jobs for it out there? Seeing as a lot of people are looking to do it..

Hey Yall wrote: »
    I dont expect this to be a breeze of a course .. I am fully commited to what I do and I work very Hard in school especially in Engineering , Maths , Science so Im not one of those people that think oh look 320 points .. This will be a breeze .. From What I heard the course is very tough but when finished their is a good career opportunity out of it .. I was wondering anyone know anything about the fitness test? I would not consider myself to be the fittest person alive but I wouldnt say im that obese either .. I have a great interest in swimming aswell .. I would also consider Mechanical Engineering but Im wondering is there many jobs for it out there? Seeing as a lot of people are looking to do it..

There aren't level 7 engineering degree jobs, nothing worth mentioning anyway. At the moment it's an experience dominated industry and people want experience over qualifications. That's what I've been told from a number of (level 8) mechanical engineering and (level 8) sustainable energy graduates.

• Advertisement

Dermighty wrote: »
    There aren't level 7 engineering degree jobs, nothing worth mentioning anyway. At the moment it's an experience dominated industry and people want experience over qualifications. That's what I've been told from a number of (level 8) mechanical engineering and (level 8) sustainable energy graduates.

I would have thought that is the case right now

Best of luck with your choice, whether it's mechanical or marine, both are great courses (when you get beyond the first year for mechanical anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Sorry, only came across this today,

I spent a number of years at sea as a Marine Engineer so if you want some info pm me or post here, I'll try to answer as much as I can but to warn you, I've been off ships since 2004, I worked at sea 1996 - 2004.

I haven't had any difficulties picking up work shoreside as Marine Engineering/Marine Engineers are well known around Cork city as having exceptionally practical skill sets so we do well in jobs where operating plant & systems is required - where practical experience & training is more important than knowing how to design the machines (eg Mech Engs).

The difficulty in getting work lies with HR people, they don't understand all the various exams you sit after college (IF you want to advance through the ranks - your not required to sit them), those will bring you up to roughly level 8.

What I would advise is that go into it understanding it's hard life if you want a long term relationship but it is very good money quickly. If I had my time over again the only thing I would change is that I would start a distance learning degree as soon as I began work as an officer and then even an online masters.

That way if you go to look shoreside you've an educational qualification equal or better than most but you have practical experience that far outweighs any one else.

Advertisement