Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you use a swinger or rocker?

Options
  • 24-01-2013 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭

Hey I'm just wondering do any of you use a swinger or rocker for your newborn and if so how often would you use it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

We used a swing on Addison, but not on number 2 or 3... Saoirse hated it, and I'd have been afraid Saoirse would have tried to climb in on top of Ellen.

Addisons was used every day. I'd pop her into it if I needed to go to the toilet, or if I was cooking dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MintyDoris

Bought a swing when she was about a month old. Best thing we have bought so far. It's used daily in this house as it calms her quickly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭sleepytrees

January wrote: »
    We used a swing on Addison, but not on number 2 or 3... Saoirse hated it, and I'd have been afraid Saoirse would have tried to climb in on top of Ellen.

Addisons was used every day. I'd pop her into it if I needed to go to the toilet, or if I was cooking dinner.
    Great. Would you have a time limit of how long you'd have Addison in it at one time?

MintyDoris wrote: »
    Bought a swing when she was about a month old. Best thing we have bought so far. It's used daily in this house as it calms her quickly
    how long would you put her in it for?

Obviously until they're six months the more time they spend lying on their back the better... I wouldn't have a time limit, she could have been in there for an hour or two a day depending on what I had to get done, but not all at the same time...

• Advertisement

how long would you put her in it for?

As little as possible but sometimes she could be in it for a few hours if that's the ONLY way she will sleep. My reasoning is that they aren't supposed to be in the car seat for more than 90 mins max a day and the swing seat we have is very similar to a car seat. So if she hasn't been in a car seat that day I'm not too fussy but if she has been in the car seat, I will use as a last resort. It's been a real sanity saver at times

Obviously until they're six months the more time they spend lying on their back the better... I wouldn't have a time limit, she could have been in there for an hour or two a day depending on what I had to get done, but not all at the same time...
    My swing goes competely flat but my boy likes to be held all through the day and the only way he'll sleep during the day is on me. He lies completely flat in his buggy when we go for walks and at night in his moses basket but at day time I have to hold him non stop. If he falls asleep and I try and lie him down he'll wake up straight away!

As little as possible but sometimes she could be in it for a few hours if that's the ONLY way she will sleep. My reasoning is that they aren't supposed to be in the car seat for more than 90 mins max a day and the swing seat we have is very similar to a car seat. So if she hasn't been in a car seat that day I'm not too fussy but if she has been in the car seat, I will use as a last resort. It's been a real sanity saver at times
    that makes sense! Lucky my swing lies flat. I was unsure how often to use it though but he does like it but pefers being held!

that makes sense! Lucky my swing lies flat. I was unsure how often to use it though but he does like it but pefers being held!

Sorry didn't see your reply that your swing lies flat until after I typed that now unnecessary post :)

My little one definitely preferes to be held too and I'd love to be able to hold her and let her sleep on me all the time but its just not practical as you know. Once it's flat i wouldn't worry too much. It's just about getting him used to it as young as possible. When my arms just can't rock her anymore, it's been worth its weight in gold!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We got a baby bjorn bouncer for our son. As first time parents we did our 'research' and found that this one got rave reviews, was good for the babies spine ergonomically etc.

Our son hated it!

It was boring as hell and he refused to sit in it for more than five minutes unless I bounced him myself. I didn't want to 'give him bad habits' by using a swing rocker.

He started crèche at 6.5 months, they had a swing rocker and he commandeered it as his own until he was 1.

Lesson learned; not all babies are the same and if they like a swing rocker then go with it.

• Advertisement

I can lend you my Mei Tai if you want? It's a lot easier than the sling I seen in your pics on FB, and you can put him in it and wear him around the house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

My swing goes competely flat but my boy likes to be held all through the day and the only way he'll sleep during the day is on me. He lies completely flat in his buggy when we go for walks and at night in his moses basket but at day time I have to hold him non stop. If he falls asleep and I try and lie him down he'll wake up straight away!

Hi sleepytrees, my 10 week old boy is the EXACT same as that! It's exhausting! He just won't go down during the day at all... But very happy to close his eyes on me. Bought a swing 2 weeks ago which also goes down flat. Have to say its the only bit of respite I get during the day. Only time I get to eat is when he's in the swing. It's been a life savour. These days I'm even lucky enough to get a shower because of the swing :). Might use it a couple times a day for about 30min each time. Usually while I grab a bite to eat or at dinner time... He usually starts to roar just as I'm serving up!

I can lend you my Mei Tai if you want? It's a lot easier than the sling I seen in your pics on FB, and you can put him in it and wear him around the house?

cool, Thanks :) I'll pm you on fb x

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Hi sleepytrees, my 10 week old boy is the EXACT same as that! It's exhausting! He just won't go down during the day at all... But very happy to close his eyes on me. Bought a swing 2 weeks ago which also goes down flat. Have to say its the only bit of respite I get during the day. Only time I get to eat is when he's in the swing. It's been a life savour. These days I'm even lucky enough to get a shower because of the swing :). Might use it a couple times a day for about 30min each time. Usually while I grab a bite to eat or at dinner time... He usually starts to roar just as I'm serving up!

Haha my boy ALWAYS screams just before I'm about to eat anything! :D
    quiet until I'm about to take my first bite!

I'm glad to hear you do the same as me. I have to pop him in it for mealtimes too otherwise no food till he goes for his six hours sleep at 2am.
    I was feeling guilty about it but seems pretty much what other mothers do!
    He likes it as well but just for a short time and then he wants out!

He is 12 weeks tomorrow and I'm trying to get him to sleep a little in his Moses basket during the day. Managed 30 mins today which is progress :)

Sorry didn't see your reply that your swing lies flat until after I typed that now unnecessary post :)

My little one definitely preferes to be held too and I'd love to be able to hold her and let her sleep on me all the time but its just not practical as you know. Once it's flat i wouldn't worry too much. It's just about getting him used to it as young as possible. When my arms just can't rock her anymore, it's been worth its weight in gold!

It's definitely a life saver for meal times! My little boy not so little anymore. Weighing in at 1st 3oz and that was nearly two weeks ago. Not sure what he weighs now. He is 12 weeks tomorrow, it's nearly impossible to rock him in my arms anymore as my back kills!
    We got a baby bjorn bouncer for our son. As first time parents we did our 'research' and found that this one got rave reviews, was good for the babies spine ergonomically etc.

Our son hated it!

It was boring as hell and he refused to sit in it for more than five minutes unless I bounced him myself. I didn't want to 'give him bad habits' by using a swing rocker.

He started crèche at 6.5 months, they had a swing rocker and he commandeered it as his own until he was 1.

Lesson learned; not all babies are the same and if they like a swing rocker then go with it.

Bad habits ? So true, all babies are different! I haven't tried bouncer yet!

Advertisement