Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

guide dogs

• 24-01-2013 10:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,030 ✭✭✭✭

What is involed in trainning these dogs. Would i get paid if i wanted to train a guide dog.

Its just I seen a guy trainning a guide dog in dunnes today and i thought it was pretty cool.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

cena wrote: »
    What is involed in trainning these dogs. Would i get paid if i wanted to train a guide dog.

Its just I seen a guy trainning a guide dog in dunnes today and i thought it was pretty cool.

Do you mean taking a pup on / puppy walking? It's done on a voluntary basis with food and vets bills provided.
    http://www.guidedogs.ie/iopen24/-t-45_277_278.html?osCsid=934c4e49dd55fead3464acfbb5a6bf5d

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,030 ✭✭✭✭cena

ya that. The only thing i would find hard is giving the dog up after the year. We have an 11yr old lab already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I know somebody doing it atm - their 2nd time. They're very much in the mindset that he isn't their dog and that he'll be going away etc - and always have been. If you're on FB like some of the different organisation's pages - seeing a disabled child standing up beside their new assistance dog really hit home for me that the sacrifice of giving the dog back after the 12-18 months is pretty small in comparison to the difference it would make to the child's life. I'd do it in a heartbeat - trying to convince everyone else in the house atm lol! I have a different organisation from guide dogs in mind that imo would be a better fit for us in regards to their training methods..

Advertisement