Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sockets on same phase

Options
  • 24-01-2013 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hi All,

I recently bought 2 devices which replace a double socket with a single socket and some ethernet cat5 ports. The idea with these is that it allows two devices within the home to share ethernet data - handy!

Anyhow, for these to work, it says the devices must be on the same phase. I'm not quite sure what this means from a practical point of view or how to test this.

One socket is downstairs and one is upstairs, both on different switches within my fuseboard. How can I tell if they're on the same circuit or is there a way of putting these two rooms on the same circuit without too much hassle (although I think i know the answer to this!)

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Your house would be all on the one phase, it would be larger premises that would be supplied with three phase that the load would be split over, so the device you bought wouldn't work correctly and the phases cant exactly joined together safely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Yea it wont be a problem in any house that has standard single phase supply.

Different circuits dont matter, as they will be on the same phase. Electricity is generated and supplied in 3 phases, almost all houses just get 1 phase into them. Next door to you would likely be on another phase compared to you.

It looks like if the sockets were on different phases, the ethernet outlets wouldnt link to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭macl

Great stuff guys - that helps me a lot there. Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,586 ✭✭✭Tow

BTW: You can get 3 Phase EOP kit, designed for heavy industrial use such as mining.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

So is that a powerline device which is integrated into a double socket?
    Do you have any pictures, or info about where you got it?
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

Is this it - looks interesting!

http://www.rapidonline.com/Cables-Connectors/PE-Power-Ethernet-Socket-Networking-501768

You have to lose one of your double sockets, but you gain 4 Ethernet ports.

Advertisement