Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPad, hmmmm

• 24-01-2013 11:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭

Toyed on and off about getting one for over a year now. Came very close to buying one yesterday. I just fear it will never be used.

If I need to do something urgent, the laptop and keyboard is coming out (yeah, any of the four) or I can venture into any of the three rooms in my house with a desktop (one being very high end with a wired internet connection).

So what would I use an iPdad for? My train commutes perhaps? Instead of an iPhone which bennifits from 3G?

The biggest advantage I can see is in the summer where it gets very hot to have a laptop on your lap - an iPad would be a huge advantage.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

If you have wifi in the house then you won't be using 3G for the most part (unless your broadband goes down), so unless you absolutely need another Sim card (I think you need another SIM/contract for mobile internet, may be wrong though) the wifi one is probably the better choice if significantly cheaper. With the iPad/any tablet you have the instant on factor (provided it has not been turned off), which means if your sitting on the couch, want to check a few websites or write off an email/update facebook you don't need to wait for it too boot up. It will also be less clunky than a laptop/netbook and for rapid browsing the touch is probably faster than a laptops touchpad.
    If you have a smartphone and you are allowed by your network provider you could set up "Wifi Tethering" on it which will allow you to use your mobile network allowance from your phone, saving the need for an extra sim when commuting. Doesn't the Iarnrod Eireann trains have free WiFi these days? Fairly certain I used it on the Dublin -> Kilkenny train last summer.
    Regarding the heat issue, many of the newer tablets will get warm during use although it should be significantly less than a laptop. I'll throw this over to the Apple Devices forum for you where it better suits

Nick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭magicherbs

FreezeUp wrote: »
    Toyed on and off about getting one for over a year now. Came very close to buying one yesterday. I just fear it will never be used.

If I need to do something urgent, the laptop and keyboard is coming out (yeah, any of the four) or I can venture into any of the three rooms in my house with a desktop (one being very high end with a wired internet connection).

So what would I use an iPdad for? My train commutes perhaps? Instead of an iPhone which bennifits from 3G?

The biggest advantage I can see is in the summer where it gets very hot to have a laptop on your lap - an iPad would be a huge advantage.

you have 4 laptops and 3 desktops in your house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I remember when it first came out I scoffed and said it was just a big iPod touch, boy was I wrong.

I got mine last summer, and I have been using it non-stop ever since. Tablets when done right really do bridge a gap between laptops and smart phones that most people didn't even believe was there before the ipad. I'll tell you some of the uses that I have found for it.

Reading, reading is probably the main thing I do with it, I have two magazine subscriptions, buy books through the kindle app, read comics and of course articles, reddit, boards etc. I really do think that tablets are in a league of their own for this, because they are much more versatile than the kindle or any other e-reader. And it is a much better than a laptop or desktop for obvious reasons in this respect.

Video: Netflix, the RTE Player, Channel 4 OD etc. All great apps, you can be watching something in about 30 seconds. I use it for netflix a lot in bed late a night so as not to disturb anyone.

Games, there are some good games for the iPad, but in fairness if you own any other iOS device you know what you are getting there.

E-mail, Facebook, Twitter, all really nice to use on the iPad, I would disagree that these are the same as any other iOS device because they are just nicer to use with the bigger screen and the keyboard is really fine, I managed to take notes on it in college for 3 months not a bother and would do it again.

The truth is that yes you can do all of this and more on a laptop or desktop. But what you are getting is a different way to get it. It's convenient, it's quick, it's pretty, it's intuitive and easy to use and once you start using touch online you will never want to go back it just feels so much more natural.

If you are really that unsure, don't worry if you can't find a use for it then just sell it, I'm sure you will find a buyer ;). Also refurb from the apple store comes highly recommended from me, it's where I got mine from, saved money and it's basically new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Thinly veiled brag about having 7 computers in the house :P

tbh I don't think you need an Ipad, unless you want to use it for reading, email or movies whilst commuting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Unless you couch-surf, or want to watch something different on the TV than your other-half, then don't bother.

Read a book on your commute. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Dades wrote: »
    Unless you couch-surf, or want to watch something different on the TV than your other-half, then don't bother.

Read a book on your commute. :)

Everybody is couch surfing these days and tv is in massive decline, it's a new phenomenon!

You can read books on iPad much handier than carrying a heavy book, oh and of course you can purchase books music and movies instantly too.

I have iPad since it was first launched and now myself and my OH cant do without it and she was never into computers but totally hooked on iPad :)

Have to say by far the best gadget I ever purchased in my whole 43 yrs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

The only point you make is that it is clearly not the device for YOU. But for loads of people it is brilliant.

I use it a LOT for email and browsing. Bringing notes into meetings, making notes in meetings. Doing all that while travelling, where the laptop is too awkward. Too many uses to list.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

IrishHomer wrote: »
    You can read books on iPad much handier than carrying a heavy book, oh and of course you can purchase books music and movies instantly too.
    The iPad is way heavier than an average paperback! Though I expect that to change with the next generation model - whenever that may be...

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

The notion of pick up and use is appealing. I think this would have been amazing for when I used to smoke as I'd always set up a song in my laptop by the window which was often inconvenient as it needed a power supply as the battery was dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Do not apply for any marketing jobs at Apple

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭FreezeUp

D1stant wrote: »
    Do not apply for any marketing jobs at Apple

**** off, lol. i was being deadly serious with that. My laptop becomes an oven and its so unberably hot in my place I have to switch it off and surf on the phone :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Like many others I scoffed at the idea of tablet PC's in the era of laptops and Smartphones. I didn't feel it was a gap that needed filling.

That was until I wanted a particular app for a particular reason that was better served by an iPad than my iPhone. Luckily I was in the market for one while my mother was in Australia, the exchange rate was still favourable, the iPad 2 was discounted for the launch of the iPad 3, she got Aussie sales tax back at departure and didn't get charged Irish customs on return to here. So my brand new iPad 2 16gb wifi cost me €280.

I barely put the thing down now and ironically I still haven't been able to use it for the original reason I bought it in the first place :D

(To control a robotic telescope from SkySafari astronomy app.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Dades wrote: »
    The iPad is way heavier than an average paperback! Though I expect that to change with the next generation model - whenever that may be...

It will probably be next week knowing Apple :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

For the Flipboard app alone, the iPad is worth it!

Also acts as a portable tv with all the streaming apps out there (apple cover/stand also essential)

Advertisement