Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How/when is savings interest calculated?

Options
  • 24-01-2013 11:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭

I set up my first savings account with Ulster Bank recently. It's around 3.5% AER variable rate (was 4% when I was signing up). The interest is paid out once a year.

You can very easily move funds between the savings and current account at any time.

So I'm curious - how is the annual interest payout calculated, since both the rate and the balance are varying throughout the year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

It should state so in the terms and conditions. From what you say in the first post, it is probably a case of calculated daily and applied annually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Yes generally calculated daily as balances would changes daily and then the interest is applied monthly/annually!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Thanks - was thinking that alright but wasn't sure.

Get paid monthly and was planning on directing a chunk of that into the savings account every month and live off the rest in the current account. But it looks like it'll make more sense to move everything into the savings account and transfer into the current account over the month as I need it.

Advertisement