Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vmware ESXi 5.0 free

Options
  • 24-01-2013 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Im just after throwing together a system for home use (mcseIT etc) and my esxi host is only seeing 8GB of the 16GB I've installed, from what I can see its correct but has anyone seen a similar issue, I was hoping to setup exchange on this and a few other vm but won't be able to if the vram limit is 8GB... bios see's 16GB.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Im just after throwing together a system for home use (mcseIT etc) and my esxi host is only seeing 8GB of the 16GB I've installed, from what I can see its correct but has anyone seen a similar issue, I was hoping to setup exchange on this and a few other vm but won't be able to if the vram limit is 8GB... bios see's 16GB.
    There's no limit, is your machine on the VMware supported hardware list?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭swampgas

It was 8GB a fair while back, but has since been bumped to 32GB. When did you download it?

See http://www.vmware.com/products/datacenter-virtualization/vsphere-hypervisor/requirements.html

• Registered Users Posts: 16 byrnecontrol

Presume so its a year old ASRock 970 Extreme3, AM3+ ?

Only downloaded it the other day when I was building it.. so should be the latest. version..5.1.0

Try downloading the 5.0 version, for a stand-alone host it won't make much difference. It might be that the 8GB limit snuck back into the 5.1 version.

• Advertisement

There's an option to download 4.x so think I'll scrap this one, cheers all.

Ok time to call in the big guns, having spent the last two days trying to configure my ESXi usb, I completely can't. I don't have a CD drive on my host server so booting and installing from usb is the only option.

I could really do with a second set of eyes to look over this, so I've been following these instructions :

http://www.vm-help.com/esx40i/ESXi_USB_install.php

Following above when I download syslinux 3.72 and extract there is no isolinux.cfg to rename, I've d/l a couple of other versions and none have this file am I missing a step?

When I quit to dos and run the command ..\win32\syslinux.exe <drive letter> it accepts this and does nothing except move to the next command prompt, I've tried it on my buntu machine and fdisk -l does not display the usb, kinda lost now.

Ok time to call in the big guns, having spent the last two days trying to configure my ESXi usb, I completely can't. I don't have a CD drive on my host server so booting and installing from usb is the only option.

I could really do with a second set of eyes to look over this, so I've been following these instructions :

http://www.vm-help.com/esx40i/ESXi_USB_install.php

Following above when I download syslinux 3.72 and extract there is no isolinux.cfg to rename, I've d/l a couple of other versions and none have this file am I missing a step?

When I quit to dos and run the command ..\win32\syslinux.exe <drive letter> it accepts this and does nothing except move to the next command prompt, I've tried it on my buntu machine and fdisk -l does not display the usb, kinda lost now.

From looking at the link you posted, it looks like the isolinux.cfg file is from the extracted ESXi ISO image. Did you copy the ISO contents to the USB drive first?

Tip: you can use something like 7zip to open an ISO file.

Cheers. I think this is the issue!

Still didn't work so ended up using a different method using unetbootin which incidentally didn't work first time but after more research needed an earlier version 4xx as the latest version of syslinux wouldn't work with it either,. anyway loaded up 4.1 yay!....only to realise that it will only see the 8GB limit also... I hate you vmware.. completely useless for anyone wishing to self train,, 8gb limit might do ok for minimal network though..

• Advertisement
Advertisement