Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hill walking & hiking HH 3in1 jacket suitable?

Options
  • 24-01-2013 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

Wonder if suitable, i thought it more for cyclists can i use it for outdoor hill walking & mountain hiking?

Also wonder if i could get use ski pants for walking to keep warm and dry for evening/night walks or it is really just for snow. should i wear with walking gaiters or do without?
    I do alot of muddy, water filled holes, the odds slipping and wet walking.
    What would be better proper walking pants?
    Thanks in advance for any comments welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Also wonder if i could use ski pants for walking to keep warm and dry for evening/night walks or it is really just for snow. should i wear with walking gaiters or do without?
    You will sweat like a pig in ski pants. Wear gaiters.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Wonder if suitable, i thought it more for cyclists can i use it for outdoor hill walking & mountain hiking?
    With a three in one jacket, the fleece zips into a waterproof outer jacket. When you are hiking, it can rain, or you can get hot or cold, so you need to be able to put layers on and take them off easily. It's more awkward to do that with a 3 in 1 jacket imo.

I'd go for separate fleece and waterproof outer jacket.
    Also wonder if i could get use ski pants for walking to keep warm and dry for evening/night walks or it is really just for snow. should i wear with walking gaiters or do without?
    I do alot of muddy, water filled holes, the odds slipping and wet walking.
    What would be better proper walking pants?
    Thanks in advance for any comments welcome.
    Have a look at these trousers. They are water repellent (not fully waterproof, so if it rains heavily, you'll need proper waterproof overtrousers).

If you walk in muddy areas, you can use gaiters. Go for decent breathable gaiters. Cheap ones can get uncomfortable, so you probably won't wear them.

As you heat up quite a lot while you are hiking, I reckon that you would probably get too hot in ski pants, except in the most extreme cold.

Advertisement