Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Payday Change

Options
  • 25-01-2013 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Posting this anonymously if that's ok.Can anyone tell me if it's ok for an employer to change the day you get paid without any consultation with staff?
    For instance,if you always got paid on a Friday and your employer decides that you'll be paid on (the following) Monday instaed,is that legal?In other words 3 days later than normal?It leaves me working for 11 days without payment instead of 7.
    Can they do that?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Is it in your contract? If not, then it's probably considered a work practice, in which case they don't need your consent (link).
    It leaves me working for 11 days without payment instead of 7.

Just the first time, no?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Normally you'd be paid once every 30 days so I'd get used to budgeting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Nody wrote: »
    Normally you'd be paid once every 30 days so I'd get used to budgeting...

Helpful!! Yes normally if you get paid every 30 days, but not everyone normally gets paid this way. Some get paid weekly some fortnightly and some monthly, so normally he gets paid weekly.

As for changing the date without consulting staff I imagine they can do this unless it is specified in the contracts of the staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

But it would only be for one pay run that you are waiting longer than normal, no? once the new process kicks in you will be paid every Monday? so after the initial pain of making wages last 10 days, you will then be back to 7.

I suppose it would have been nice if the boss paid you on Friday and included pro-rata for Sat/Sun/Mon and then eventhough you would be 10 days between wages, your last wage would have covered 10 days and not 7. But if you don't work Sat/Sun/Mon then it would make no difference anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks all for the replies.
    Yes it's just for this week that we'll be waiting for wages,from then on it'll be every 7 days as usual.I just wondered if they could change the payday without even consulting us.There's nothing in our contract (such as it is) that states the day we get paid on,so I guess we have no choice but to accept it.
    Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Clauric

Actually, this was a similar problem to what we had in my workplace a few years ago. Basically the advice we were given was that if they are changing the period of the wage payments (e.g. weekly to fortnightly or monthly) then the employee must agree to the changes. This is due to the fact that it forms a part of the contract, either written or unwritten.

The change in your payday, from Friday to Monday, would be considered a breach of that requirement. However, if it is only for one week, then it might be acceptable, assuming that he will pay you, in future, on Mondays.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Employers are allowed to change payment procedures ,from moving the day to changing the payment intervals.
    It is customary though to give a period of notice that this will be coming into effect.

Advertisement