Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem accessing IP camera with Three Broadband modem

Options
  • 25-01-2013 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I am experiencing some difficulties accessing an IP camera that is connected to a router which in turn is connected to the internet with a Three Broadband dongle.

I have setup port forwarding on the router to access my IP camera but when I try to setup dyndns it does not update the site with any address.It says that DDNS is not launching. There is internet available as I can browse the web when connected to the router with my laptop. I can also connect to teh IP camera with my laptop through the router.

Has anyone any ideas why this is failing? Is it something to do with the way Three assign IP addresses?

I have setup remote access to a DVR through port forwarding on Vodafone home last month so I thought there would be no issues with this new setup.

I am using a TP-Link wireless 3G router and an E353 USB Huawei dongle.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭kaisersoze

have you tried assigning a static address to camera and disregard the dns from dongle? just make sure its in the correct range and subnet is correct and gateway is ip address of dongle and you should be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

There is also a 'Talk to Three' forum if that is of any more assistance?
    http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1367

• Registered Users Posts: 47 termon8r

I have no problem accessing the camera from within the wireless network by defining a static IP address and defaultrouter as suggested.

My problem is that the dongle appears to have a private IP address 192.168.1.1 and doesn't reveal the external Ip address in the router configuration as it does with other ISPs. In this way I do not know what address to connect from my andorid when attempting to access the camera remotely.

Thanks for letting me know about the Three forum as didn't know there was one. I will try and transfer it or just start a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You can find out what your current external IP address is easily ... there's lots of websites that'll tell you, including www.whatsmyip.org That won't help you long term though as you'll have to use some form of DDNS service to keep track of IP address changes, but at least you'll be able to test that your port forwarding is working properly.

You don't have to use your router's built-in DDNS client, just download the one from dyndns.org and install that on your PC, it'll do the same thing. BTW I assume you've actually set up an account with dyndns? They used to do a free version but have stopped that now. An alternative is no-ip.com who still have a free version and who also have a Windows client that'll take care of the updating if you still can't get it working on your router.

I have used whatsmyipaddress.com but I still can't access the camera through this IP address. I am quite sure port forwarding is set up correctly as I set it up with other providers without problems. Could it be the case that there is some double NATing going on within the three network and that perhaps I need to connect on another address. Unfortunately my knowledge on this area is limited enough.

I called Three tech support and they say that this will only work with a static IP address which they do not provide at the moment. I asked about the possible NAT but they weren't telling me the configuration of their network or they didn't know.

I suppose I am just trying to decide to persue this with three or just give up and try another ISP. if someone has got this working before please let me know.

• Advertisement

Do you have it working/can you test it to see if it will work with another provider using a static IP address?

No, I was unable to get this working on three. However I have sourced a meteor BB USB stick and was able to determine the correct public IP address.

When trying to connect remotely to my camera I am receiving a 'connection refused error', which tells me that as far as I know that I am reaching the router at least. If I try to connect to the camera using the app with a random Ip address the connection times out.

I know that the camera is OK as I have tested it on my home BB router with port forwarding on a Netopia router.

Need to determine if it is a ISP problem in that the port 8080 that I am using is blocked or port forwarding is not configured correctly on the router.

Here are links to 2 port open/closed testers that will also show the public IP
    You will see if the ports are opened correctly on the routers or not

http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

http://www.canyouseeme.org/

Yes, using the sites provided tells me that connection refused on port 8080.

I think that I am getting as far as the Meteor USB stick but cannot forward to the router who's IP address is 192.168.0.100 and IP camera who's IP address is 192.168.0.112. I have port forwarding set up between router and camera.

Any ideas how to route through to the camera as port forwarding is not possible on the USB stick?

Advertisement