Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PAC reveals train carriages worth €44m not used

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Typical lazy, pointless RTE piece on a slow news day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Yup, and India has 5'6'' not 5'3''....where's that roll eyes fella when you want him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

from what I can gather there is overcrowding on numerous lines across the country but I.E hasn't deployed the extra carriages there? Some older people had to stand for 2 hours on some of the lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,397 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I only read the article before I left work. Did I read right that irish rail bought rolling stock based on projections from goodbodys that rail travel would increase ? €44M of our money was spent on stock because of a projection ? Well done irish rail.

With that sort of attitude we might as well roll out the spare Enterprise set because, ya know, it's a "waste". Then when a coach fails they've nothing to replace it with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I only read the article before I left work. Did I read right that irish rail bought rolling stock based on projections from Goodbodys that rail travel would increase ? €44M of our money was spent on stock because of a projection ? Well done irish rail.

Ah here...:D

Wudja leave ir ouh.....FFS...Goodbody`s were advising almost every sector of Ireland Teo during the relevant period.

Of course you bloody well read it right,if Goody's (expensive) advice had been ignored by Irish Rail and the recession had not arrived,IR would be under attack for NOT following this highly respected consultancy companys sterling advice.

To judge from the responses to the PAC's somewhat half-witted hoopla over this,an Irish Rail messenger-boy was despatched to the Model Railway Shop (anybody remember Monck Place :) ? ) and came back with these units in a box.

Irish Rail would have had to prepare Tender Documents,submit them to the Departments of Transport,Finance, and perhaps even Foreign Affairs to firstly get approval then to get the money itself.....a process which allowed ample opportunity for somebody...anybody,with the gift of prophesy to shout "STOP,STOP..There's a Recession a-Comin"

That individual,had he/she spoken up,would most likely have been encouraged to commit suicide by the Taoiseach of the Day.

The real scandal is why we did'nt spend the €44 Million on an Integrated Ticketing Scheme instead...........Oh wait...oops..sorry...almost forgot...:o :o:o

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Total Mk3: 73
    Total mk3 push pulls: 10
    Total 2700 Class Cars: 26
    Total 2750 Class Cars: 2
    Total 8200/8400 Class Cars: 10
    Total 22000 Class cars :21

Total lying unused stock is = 142 coaches if my calculations are right

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭davidlacey

PAC were obviously only counting reletively new stock but that depends on ur perception of term reletively new

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Nibs05 wrote: »
    Total Mk3: 73
    Total mk3 push pulls: 10
    Total 2700 Class Cars: 26
    Total 2750 Class Cars: 2
    Total 8200/8400 Class Cars: 10
    Total 22000 Class cars :21

Total lying unused stock is = 142 coaches if my calculations are right

I would not count the 82/8400s in there as they are lemons with too many problems to be fixed and there are no spare parts to fix them with. They would all have to be made from scratch and not worth the money. It actually does make sense to scrap them as the cost of keeping them going, keeping a supply of spares and keeping drivers current on them is too much time and money for such a small fleet. They should not have been bought in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i thought the last 22xxxwent into service recenlly...

• Advertisement

corktina wrote: »
    i thought the last 22xxxwent into service recenlly...

It did. There's no 22000s withdrawn per se, they're rotated.

Advertisement