Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Event] Valentia Island Tri 2013 Saturday 11th May

Options
  • 25-01-2013 10:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭

Reminder to set your alarm clocks for 8am this Sunday, entries open...

The date for Valentia Island Triathlon 2013 has now been set for Saturday 11th May, 12 noon start time. This race will form part of the Triathlon Ireland ‘National Series’.

Online entry will open from 08:00 Sunday 27th January 2013, and places will be released in three tranches, including on 08:00 Sunday 24th February and 08:00 31st March.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

I'd start checking the website before 8am. IIRC the year I did it the entry opened before the stated time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

The first lot of entries sold out on the day; the second lot will be available tomorrow morning from 8am for anyone who missed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭bazzer86

I have a spare entry due to entry if anyone wants to take it off me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Swim cancelled in Valentia this morning.

PWEI wrote: »
    Swim cancelled in Valentia this morning.

If that's true I think Kurt may actually explode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

griffin100 wrote: »

Yep, posted on FB by a guy in my club who's doing it. The official reason is because of wind speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Don't know about Kurt, but Interested was going for a swim after the duathlon. Probably sans wetsuit too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

PWEI wrote: »
    Yep, posted on FB by a guy in my club who's doing it. The official reason is because of wind speed.

Wind speed probably leading to wind chill being a factor in cancelling the swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

So what was the alternative format? 5km run 20km bike 5km run?

Swim cancelled, what a bloody joke. I'll take some pics of the sea, which I'm going into for a swim after some soup. What's the point of sprint tris in Ireland, why bother training for the swum at all? Sorry for the negative attitude but Im fairly annoyed eight now.

• Advertisement

So what was the alternative format? 5km run 20km bike 5km run?

3k 20k 5k

Crazy call about the swim, but otherwise very well organised, great Marshall and helpers, well done valentia tri club.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    3k 20k 5k

Crazy call about the swim, but otherwise very well organised, great Marshall and helpers, well done valentia tri club.

Have you ever managed to do an ow tri where the swim wasnt cancelled?

Have you ever managed to do an ow tri where the swim wasnt cancelled?

Ha, not yet! Same TI official, I need to check his schedule and avoid him;)

Just back in from a 30 minute swim, where I vented some frustration, so feel a bit calmer now. The water felt great, very nice temperature, my trisuit felt cold as i exited, there's a cold stiff wind all right. I wouldn't fancy biking the island in a wet trisuit just now... But why cancel the swum on that ground? Why not cancel the bike? Anyways, what's done is done, onwards and upwards. The race started in five waves if 100 each, a minute apart, so it will be a close call between me and interested in the results... Wouldn't have got near him had the swim gone ahead!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Can you imagine the commotion if the bike was cancelled! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

Happened at Brian Boru last year....well for half the field anyway.

Why not just cancel the swim and bike and have a run off :rolleyes:

Why not just cancel the swim and bike and have a run off :rolleyes:

That would be AWESOME, do you think they might do that next week? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Results seem to be online - but suggest a completely different race format?

http://www.racetecresults.com/results.aspx?CId=74&RId=10150

Changed to a sprint duathlon by the looks of it??
    Distances must be what? - 3k - 15k - 2.25k?

Joe Smullen's run looks a tad out but others seem fine.

Thank god I didn't head down to this race for 40 mins of run bike! :eek:

If the swim didn't go ahead in Valentia, what hope has any race for the next few weeks???

On the plus side, if the above post was correct about ambient air temperature being the reason combined with water temp - weather forecast looks like a decent temperature increase for Tri an Mhi next Sat so air temp should hopefully see the swim have a better chance!

Just saw the results on the website we daren't mention and thought they were wrong but doesn't look like it then.

Why change the distance of the second run? I though the point of replacing swim with a run was that the run distance there would take a similar amount of time to a swim? so 3k - 20k - 5k would have seemed right? :confused:

Just saw the results on the website we daren't mention and thought they were wrong but doesn't look like it then.

Why change the distance of the second run? I though the point of replacing swim with a run was that the run distance there would take a similar amount of time to a swim? so 3k - 20k - 5k would have seemed right? :confused:

Not to mention the bike being shortened for no reason?
    Or else organisers completely changed the bike course to make an already short bike even shorter for this year?
    really don't understand this one.

• Advertisement

Those times are only for partial. They don't include the bike and run climb to the top of the hill. Format was 3k run (five waves a minute apart), and the 20k bike and 5k run as you were.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Those times are only for partial. They don't include the bike and run climb to the top of the hill. Format was 3k run (five waves a minute apart), and the 20k bike and 5k run as you were.

Thanks for that! Sure looked strange alright so just a timing issue in initial results then.

Glad to hear the second and third legs weren't changed for you at least! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

A nice 2 second win for Kurt over his coach - next time coach is giving you a hard time, give him a curl lipped sneer and whisper to yourself smugly who are you to give me advice :cool:

Here's a few photos for anyone interested... taken about 30 mins after the event, about 1.5k along the shore road. Conditions were pretty much identical to when the race was on, and I swam for over 30 minutes here. Just posting them in case anyone is under the impression there was gale force winds and huge waves... This is what TI consider cancelable conditions, they might help people decide if they will risk signing up for an event or not... click images for larger pics.

[IMG][/img]Screen_shot_2013_05_11_at_22_23_18.jpg

[IMG][/img]Screen_shot_2013_05_11_at_22_23_01.jpg

[IMG][/img]Screen_shot_2013_05_11_at_22_22_47.jpg

[IMG][/img]Screen_shot_2013_05_11_at_21_37_52.jpg

[IMG][/img]Screen_shot_2013_05_11_at_21_38_08.jpg[/QUOTE]

I thought the reasons for cancellations were a combination of water temperatures and the ambient air temperatures, not the actual water conditions ( flat, choppy etc.)

Any information on the temps? That's more the reason for cancellation I would expect.

I thought the reasons for cancellations were a combination of water temperatures and the ambient air temperatures, not the actual water conditions ( flat, choppy etc.)

Any information on the temps? That's more the reason for cancellation I would expect.

Hearsay, but I heard the water temps were 13 degrees, but that the wind-chill on the poor bikers was wot won it. It wasn't cold in any way on the bike (dry) today, but it was windy. A wet trisuit on the bike wouldn't have been tickety-boo, but thats what layers are for (or god forbid going fast to warm yourself up). I had a shower at a cold tap after my swim, stood outside naked to dry for a few minutes. We're not talking winter conditions, far from it.

Anyone else down there have an opinion?

Dear God

Now have an image of a naked Paul in my head.

Will have nightmares tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Problem is Paul those are the current rules set out. As AKW mentioned its water temp/air temp which is considered and not only how choppy the water is. Just as a side note the sea water temp on the North East was measured at 8.5 last week.
    Perhaps the rules need to be looked at because its going to put a lot of people off signing up for early season races. Totally understand your frustration.

Problem is Paul those are the current rules set out. As AKW mentioned its water temp/air temp which is considered and not only how choppy the water is. Just as a side note the sea water temp on the North East was measured at 8.5 last week.
    Perhaps the rules need to be looked at because its going to put a lot of people off signing up for early season races. Totally understand your frustration.

I'm aware of the TI water temperature guidelines for specific distances Fran- I went looking for them last week, because I didn't want to travel all the way the Valentia to face no swim. I'm willing to bet anything the sea temperature today (as I anecdotaly heard) were in excess of the minimum for a 650m swim. Certainly I couldn't believe how warm it was last night at 10pm, compared with swimming in Wicklow Harbour a week ago, and indeed how warm it was as I swam it straight after the race. Rules are rules, I accept they are there to ensure safety, but (again anecdotaly) this perfectly swimmable swim seems to have cancelled because bikers would be cold in wet gear. That's a TI safety call that doesn't appear in the rulebook (as far as I know).

Bottom line is I'm tired of the swim leg being cancelled for perceived risk reasons. The bike leg entails far more risk (and certainly did today, very little control when the wind has more power over the bike than you do). I've yet to hear of an Irish triathlete dying during swim training or racing. Unfortunately its all too common in the bike section.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

BTW i am in agreement with you in case that does not come across in my post. I am a sh1t swimmer but when you sign up to do a tri you expect to get a little bit wet before you get on the bike!!

Advertisement