Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway 5k series 2013

Options
  • 25-01-2013 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Anyone know when registration for this opens? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bonaparte2

Late march

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jacko mann

march 28th.
    www.active.com

they recently acquired run ireland .com.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jacko mann

check out www.5km.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Registration opens for this tonight at 8pm through the website www.5km.ie but there also seems to be a hidden link on active.com which will be live at that time too.

Usually sells out super quick, but hopefully no server issues like past couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭galwayspur

Sorted. Fair play, the entry was plain sailing this year. See y'all in Athenry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

Well that was effortless compared to last year. Good to see Active.com seem to be getting their system fine tuned too.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Bob_the_dog

Well done to the organisers. much easier this year

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Bob_the_dog

Sold out in less than 40mins. That's mental

• Registered Users Posts: 3 8Balboa4

Missed out!!!...was waiting at 8pm to sign up with a friend. A mixture of forgetting active global password, setting up new a/c, not having credit card to hand and then not knowing laser card start date...an unmitigated disaster!!
    Really diappointed as was really looking forward to the series.
    Does anyone konw if there is a contact e-mail address on the off chance of a few people pulling out!
    Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

that was so straight forward it was almost an anti climax :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Arra Balls.... Didn't make it back to the house in time... Was looking forward to the series...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Looks like we're all set for this year now.

Starts in Athenry next Tuesday with a new route near the town instead of the traditional one they've used for years.
    There's also a new route for the GCH leg of the series, moving from the previous venue of Dangan to the Racecourse.

Let the fun commence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

Ya, getting excited about it now. Anyone know does the Athenry route start or finish at the town end . Im kinda guessing starting
    http://www.5km.ie/

Ya, getting excited about it now. Anyone know does the Athenry route start or finish at the town end . Im kinda guessing starting

Race reg is at the Boys National School (if your leaving the town by the Post Office & head out past the playground on the left, its just on the next junction).

Race start is about 1k further out the road past the school. The race runs in an anti clockwise loop and finishes at Ladyswell. Finish line is about 1k from reg too so you have a nice warm up & cool down.

It's a bit of a short drag to start with, flat enough for most of the route and a small drag again at about the 4k mark It's a nice downhill finish though. Once you get past the hill around the 4k mark give it welly.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,427 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Can you pay on the day with these races?

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Can you pay on the day with these races?

Afraid not. The entry opens for this towards the end of March & is limited to about 800 (I think). It sells out in about an hour each year so it's a much sought after ticket. It's hosted by 6 Galway clubs & each club gets 30 golden tickets for their own paid members who may have missed out on the main sale.

But as they, Once it's gone, it's gone.

Thanks, I'll check it out tomorrow for a jog. I'll do my best to put the boot down at 4km and hope I'm not well gone by then!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭berrecka

I have registered for this but as I can now no longer make most of the races, I wonder is there a way I can pass my race number on to someone else. Seems a shame to let it go to waste as so many people seem to have wanted to register but couldn't when the race opened

Great new route from Athenry last night.
    Some fast times & PBs abound from a lot of folks I know, myself included.

Was spot on for 20mins, going through the first 3 kms in 4:00, 8:00 & 12:00.
    Faded a little in the last two kms, 16:04 at the 4k marker and finished in 20:06.

A few more races left to break the 20min barrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Great new route from Athenry last night.
    Some fast times & PBs abound from a lot of folks I know, myself included.

Was spot on for 20mins, going through the first 3 kms in 4:00, 8:00 & 12:00.
    Faded a little in the last two kms, 16:04 at the 4k marker and finished in 20:06.

A few more races left to break the 20min barrier.

770 runners yesterday - bigger than I had expected! Nice route, lovely evening for it. I wasn't sure where I was at, but had hoped to run at around 4:10km pace and go under 21. Went 4:11, 4:08, 4:09, 4:00, 3:51, so was delighted with the pb. Same as you, I now fancy my chances of breaking 20min. Just got to find 4 seconds per km.

Anyone know what course was considered the fastest last year? From looking at the times Dangan seems to be a slow one.

• Advertisement

Gambas wrote: »
    Anyone know what course was considered the fastest last year? From looking at the times Dangan seems to be a slow one.

Dangan isn't on this year, race has been switched to the Racecourse. Not sure how it will rate for times, guess we'll have to wait and see.

Tuam tends to be a fast one. I've always liked Claregalway, despite the hills, but I hear they switched direction last year, so the hill will now be towards the start of the race. That might make it even faster.
    I must take a spin out there @ lunchtime & assess the course in that direction.

Craughwell is a fair course too, but Loughrea is a toughie, nice long downhill to finish, but killer to get to the top beforehand.

Dangan isn't on this year, race has been switched to the Racecourse. Not sure how it will rate for times, guess we'll have to wait and see.

Tuam tends to be a fast one. I've always liked Claregalway, despite the hills, but I hear they switched direction last year, so the hill will now be towards the start of the race. That might make it even faster.
    I must take a spin out there @ lunchtime & assess the course in that direction.

Craughwell is a fair course too, but Loughrea is a toughie, nice long downhill to finish, but killer to get to the top beforehand.

Thanks. Racecourse should be reasonably quick too, so long as it is nearly all on tarmac. - only the one dip. I'll probably miss Loughrea.

So how did everyone get on yesterday evening in Claregalway. I was a few seconds slower than Athenry but I found Claregalway a killer last year when I done it too. I'm hoping it'll be my slowest this year, I hear Tuam is the one to smash all your records in. As much pain as I was in going up those hills I have to say I still really enjoyed it!
    Anyone find it handy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

radiata wrote: »
    So how did everyone get on yesterday evening in Claregalway. I was a few seconds slower than Athenry but I found Claregalway a killer last year when I done it too. I'm hoping it'll be my slowest this year, I hear Tuam is the one to smash all your records in. As much pain as I was in going up those hills I have to say I still really enjoyed it!
    Anyone find it handy?

If ye find it handy yer doing it wrong :D:D

Jokes aside, i'm still gutted I missed the reg for this series. I had been looking forward to it for a while but just couldn't make it...

Hope ye all do yourselves justice :)

I found Claregalway to be much tougher than Athenry - then again, running faster does tend to have that effect :) Must be the first race I've run where the herd took off too slowly for my liking, thanks to the hill and wind in the 1st km. I improved by almost 20 seconds but had to face seeing the clock go from 19:5x into the 20's as I approached the finish. Now I just need to find 1 sec per km.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭jdsk2006

Have to say i loved the claregal route, thank god that hill was over with at the beginning of the race.......i was wiped for final half k tho
    .......roll on next week!

Well Loughrea was a night for hardy souls last Tuesday.
    Considering the hill and the conditions, I was happy enough to come in with the same chip time as Claregalway.
    On a flatter course I think I had a sub 20 in me, so here's to some decent conditions for Craughwell & Tuam.

I'll be on stewarding duty for the Galway leg, so it will be interesting to see how our new course performs time wise. The hills don't seem too bad when jogging it, but racing will be a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭acurno

Lost my chip in Claregalway, fell off at 4km but there was no way I was stopping, but still registered a time at the finish and got my text.
    In Loughrea didn't have time to see the timing guys at the start but this time no place registered on the official list. Came in the top ten so assumed they'd get me.
    Great race though, that shower at 1k in was some craic.

Do I need to pay for a new chip? Think I might have an old one around here somewhere they might be able to reregister than one. Mightn't get my tshirt either!!

acurno wrote: »
    Lost my chip in Claregalway, fell off at 4km but there was no way I was stopping, but still registered a time at the finish and got my text.
    In Loughrea didn't have time to see the timing guys at the start but this time no place registered on the official list. Came in the top ten so assumed they'd get me.

Do I need to pay for a new chip? Think I might have an old one around here somewhere they might be able to reregister than one. Mightn't get my tshirt either!!

I suggest you approach the timing guys setting up on the day tomorrow in Craughwell.
    To get your time properly registered from Loughrea, have a look in the Maree AC facebook page - they have been posting tons of photos from each race. If you can find yourself in one of them, you could then work out your time & see if they'll adjust the result to include you.
    No idea if you need to pay for a new chip or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭doctorchick

acurno wrote: »

I think this must be you http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=541746099197755&set=a.541742629198102.1073741832.336531689719198&type=3&theater so they should be able to slot you into the results manually.

Advertisement