Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Register365 and Sitemaker Pro Question

Options
  • 25-01-2013 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I'm using Site Maker Pro ( program which you buy when you get hosting from register365 )

now when i look at the website im making on my own computer , it's size on my screen is perfect , but when i go into a diff office and view it , the site looks very small on that screen

is that just a resolution issue or do i need to set the web pages to a certain size to be the same on all monitors ??

also , how do i add sub menus on a page ie in the photo's menu i want to put a header for each job and then click on the job name to view its pictures ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Post a link to the site for more helpful feedback.

Giving your container a fixed width might solve it.

Never used site maker pro, but I imagine it's crap. No idea how to add subpages using it.

Why not learn some html & CSS?

http://www.dontfeartheinternet.com/

http://thenewboston.org/list.php?cat=40

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Not used it myself either so I may be a tad judgemental here. However, I would imagine that it's a development dead end. In other words, people who use Site Maker Pro aren't experienced enough to give you solid advice and those with knowledge aren't they type of people to use it. BUt maybe I'm wrong.

Without giving us more details it's like phoning up a mechanic and asking why your car makes a funny noise.

- Edit -

I've just had a look at the video for Site Maker Pro and you should run in terror and without turning around lest you turn into a pillar of salt. You would be far better off learning the basics of html and css as KonFusion suggested. Within the space of a few hours you could have something very basic put together.

Later you could perhaps install wordpress.org on your server and choose one of the many free themes to play around with.

Doesn't register 365 have a one click install thingy?

Don't use them myself but I presume they do.

Just install wordpress, watch some tutorial vids on youtube, pick a theme and off you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

ok here is what i have for the min

www.tolkasteel.ie

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh it's all flash! :pac:

Scrap that.

Check out something like perch or wordpress.

Wordpress is free, and the hosting365 CPanel should have a one-click-install option. Check out the vids I posted above and you could replicate that site, or just use a pre-made template and be up and running in minutes.

This might help: http://blog.register365.com/2011/12/a-customer%E2%80%99s-guide-to-installing-wordpress-in-a-few-easy-steps/

33868055.jpg

• Advertisement

i know its pretty basic , but the company dont want to invest in a proper website

they just want something to show were here as such

Suit yourself.

Though I'd advise against it (clearly).

KonFusion wrote: »
    Suit yourself.

Though I'd advise against it (clearly).

Noted

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭peejay1986

i know its pretty basic , but the company dont want to invest in a proper website

they just want something to show were here as such

There's basic and there's just plain wrong. You can do a basic Wordpress theme and set that up just as easy. Flash is going to cause you issues. You won't be able to see the site on anything which doesn't support Flash, and that list is growing rapidly by the day! If you have an iOS device for example, take a look at your website as it stands.

Basic or not, don't go down the Flash route.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

To reiterate what has been said here - avoid flash based sites. Amongst other things, they are difficult to maintain and crap for SEO. If your company wants to do this on the cheap the go along to somewhere like themeforest and download a template for your chosen CMS for the price of a few pints. Wordpress is a good option and you can then either install a theme in the space of a few minutes. Alternatively, you could learn a little html and css and adjust the site to your liking (assuming you are legally permitted to do so to a theme you have purchased).

Having an unprofessional looking website can potentially be damaging to your overall image. Don't scrimp.

• Advertisement
Advertisement