Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scanning photos

• 25-01-2013 10:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Probably a silly question but I'll ask anyway.

I'm about to embark on the mammoth task of scanning 100's of old family photographs.
    I have two scanners that I could use (can't stretch to buying a dedicated photo scanner at the mo).
    One is a Canon MP150 (1200 x 2400) and the other is an HP Deskjet 3050A (1200 x 12000).

Am I right in assuming that the Canon is the way to go?

I want to edit/repair most of these in PS so I'm looking for the best possible scan option.

Thanks,

IM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭the_tractor

I can't recommend either scanner above the other as I am not familiar with them - best thing is to try them out.

It might be better if you have the negs to get a good negative scanner.

I did that task with 100's of old family photos. I took weeks at it, just spending 1/2 hour per night when I could, and you can get through them all easy enough once you get a rythmn going.

Also, check the backs of the photos and scan the back if they have writing on them, names/dates etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

Important: Make sure the glass is spotless before and during the scanning!
    The last thing you want to do is go though 100s of photos and have to remove the same dust and marks from each photo.

Regarding scanners - once you get to or above a certain resolution, it's much of a muchness really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

How about having them scanned professionally?

http://www.360-dpi.com/page23/page12/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one thing to check with scanners as well is that if they're old, you may want to take the glass out and clean the inside of the glass, as they can go cloudy. something to do with vapours coming off plastic.

Advertisement