Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[EVENT] Tri an Mhi - Open

Options
  • 25-01-2013 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭

Just registered, anyone else doing it?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm in. Pending recovery from London. Don't expect to get much cycling done, not that I need London as an excuse for that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Q7

Those not entered better get their skates on - over 200 entered already in first 2 hours. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

I'm in, thought it was a great race last year, hope they keep the 2 lapped swim, thought that was really good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

I'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

me too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

I'm in - one of my A races for the year hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

I'm in also. Event now sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

I'm in, thought it was a great race last year, hope they keep the 2 lapped swim, thought that was really cold

FYP!

I can't over emphasise the importance of getting some cold open water experience in the weeks leading up the event. There's cold swims and then there's the spring lakes in the midlands which are a different animal altogether.

I'm just bitter as I damn near froze last year and had a shocking "race" :-)
    Which is why I'll be a TO this year.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I'm in also. Event now sold out.

You last in the door JC??

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

BTH wrote: »
    You last in the door JC??

No, I was in at 8.10 this morning. Eager to start the season :D

• Advertisement

No, I was in at 8.10 this morning. Eager to start the season :D

Good man, keep going the way you're going and you'll be flying by May.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

I am out... Already sold out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

911sc wrote: »
    I am out... Already sold out!

Is there not a reserve list? I got a place last year thi way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Last slot went last night about 11 according to Twitter feed. I was trying to encourage a pal to get in, don't know if it happened or not.

There is a waiting list, they had an email on Facebook last night for anyone who missed the boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Huff n Puff

This was supposed to be a big race for me this year but I haven't entered yet due to an ongoing run injury. Would love to be doing it.

If the injury clears up before the end of February then I will hopefully be able to convince someone to sell me their entry. I heard plenty of good things about this race so fair play to them for selling it out so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Has to be the first time in a long time time that the middle distance champs has sold out, should be a good one and looking forward to the race reports already :)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭tinydave

I'm in and looking forward to it again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 44 enzeder

Have entered this as my first HIM distance race. Have done a few olympic and sprint distance races and wanted a bit more of a challenge!

If anyone has done the race before, I'd love to hear how you got on? is there anything about the course to look out for or be aware of? What the road surface is like?

Cheers!

enzeder wrote: »

If anyone has done the race before, I'd love to hear how you got on? is there anything about the course to look out for or be aware of? What the road surface is like?

The swim was cold last year. Very very cold. But the lake calm and the water crystal clear.

The bike is challenging, constantly rolling, with one fairly big hill that you have to go up twice. The road surface is poor to awful, and after 70km your ass be in pain, dying to get off the damn bike. What the hills don't take out of your legs the surface will. And its long, about 94km.

The run is equally challenging, again constantly rolling draining what ever you might have left in the tank.

Yeah, a good race :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ciah

Two swim hats for the cold. Do a good swim warm up to avoid cold water breathing shock in the first few hundred meters. The line was long, so not much carnage. Perhaps avoid going flat out when the gun goes to reduce the cold water impact. Some people had very cold legs at the end of the swim. I did an unorthodox breast stroke kick or two each time I sighted which kept the circulation in my legs. The bike is not too difficult, just a single short hill on each of the laps plus lots of undulations. Run is up and down but nothing steep. All in all a great event.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

The swim was cold last year. Very very cold. But the lake calm and the water crystal clear.

The bike is challenging, constantly rolling, with one fairly big hill that you have to go up twice. The road surface is poor to awful, and after 70km your ass be in pain, dying to get off the damn bike. What the hills don't take out of your legs the surface will. And its long, about 94km.

The run is equally challenging, again constantly rolling draining what ever you might have left in the tank.

Ummmmmmm...

...anyone want a tri an mhi entry? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Cant disagree with any of that. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 enzeder

Ha! Sounds lovely.
    The road surface is poor to awful

As in chip seal rather than tarred or is it pot-hole ridden too?

Thanks for the info all. Looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Ummmmmmm...

...anyone want a tri an mhi entry? :eek:

Wuss!! :P

Advertisement