Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does NGB broadband depend on distance from exchange?

Options
  • 25-01-2013 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Good morning!

So - I reconnected the land line in my house and ordered eircom broadband last week as I was promised that my land line was enabled for broadband at a speed up to 24mb and NGB, so uncongested. I explained that I was at least 10 miles away from the nearest exchange (Finglas) and THREE separate people from your customer service team (1901) insisted that it didn't matter, that their data showed that the line was broadband enabled and therefore I would definitely be able to get broadband.

I was delighted - even though eircom engineers who came out to reconnect the line from the road laughed at the idea that I would get broadband so far away from the exchange (although still in Dublin).

So - broadband was due to be switched on yesterday. I checked on the automated phone service to make sure that was the case first, plugged in the router, turned off all wifi devices in the house, switched iphones to airplane mode and waited in anticipation of hassle free web surfing......not the case.

No DSL light lit up on the router (one of those zyxel ones). I rang technical support and they said they would request a service call. I asked again if they were 100% sure I would get broadband and Ralph from Tech Support said yes. I then asked how far away I was from the nearest exchange and Raplh said "you are actually a fair distance from the exchange" I asked him how far exactly and he said he would need to do some calculations - I waited two minutes and then he said he couldn't give me that information. 

So - my question is Eircom - your sales people say that once your phone line is NGB enabled, it doesn't matter how far you are away from the exchange, you will definitely be able to get uncongested broadband. Is this the case??

The only reason I got the phone line was to get broadband - what happens if you can't supply me with it?

Thanks,
    Tricia

p.s. I tried to write this on the eircom forum but as I can't get my customer number from eircom (I have asked 4 times and have requested it be posted to me three times, and still no customer number) I had to post it here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Good morning!

So - I reconnected the land line in my house and ordered eircom broadband last week as I was promised that my land line was enabled for broadband at a speed up to 24mb and NGB, so uncongested. I explained that I was at least 10 miles away from the nearest exchange (Finglas) and THREE separate people from your customer service team (1901) insisted that it didn't matter, that their data showed that the line was broadband enabled and therefore I would definitely be able to get broadband.

I was delighted - even though eircom engineers who came out to reconnect the line from the road laughed at the idea that I would get broadband so far away from the exchange (although still in Dublin).

So - broadband was due to be switched on yesterday. I checked on the automated phone service to make sure that was the case first, plugged in the router, turned off all wifi devices in the house, switched iphones to airplane mode and waited in anticipation of hassle free web surfing......not the case.

No DSL light lit up on the router (one of those zyxel ones). I rang technical support and they said they would request a service call. I asked again if they were 100% sure I would get broadband and Ralph from Tech Support said yes. I then asked how far away I was from the nearest exchange and Raplh said "you are actually a fair distance from the exchange" I asked him how far exactly and he said he would need to do some calculations - I waited two minutes and then he said he couldn't give me that information. 

So - my question is Eircom - your sales people say that once your phone line is NGB enabled, it doesn't matter how far you are away from the exchange, you will definitely be able to get uncongested broadband. Is this the case??

The only reason I got the phone line was to get broadband - what happens if you can't supply me with it?

Thanks,
    Tricia

p.s. I tried to write this on the eircom forum but as I can't get my customer number from eircom (I have asked 4 times and have requested it be posted to me three times, and still no customer number) I had to post it here.
    Hi baby builder

I do apologise for the inconvenience experienced here, Could you please PM me your landline number? I will run a few tests on the line and get back to you with all the facts on what speeds your line can hold.

Regards

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭baby builder

Hi baby builder

I do apologise for the inconvenience experienced here, Could you please PM me your landline number? I will run a few tests on the line and get back to you with all the facts on what speeds your line can hold.

Regards

Al
    Just wanted to say fair play to Alan. Within 30 minutes he had made two phone calls to me - didn't make me feel like a total numpty and confirmed that we are too far away from the exchange. He even bothered to go through various alternatives with me.

It's important to acknowledge when people go to the bother of replying and checking everything in order to provide quality service, and Alan did that and more.

Unfortunately broadband with Eircom isn't an option for us - but the customer service experience from boards representatives has been first rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Just wanted to say fair play to Alan. Within 30 minutes he had made two phone calls to me - didn't make me feel like a total numpty and confirmed that we are too far away from the exchange. He even bothered to go through various alternatives with me.

It's important to acknowledge when people go to the bother of replying and checking everything in order to provide quality service, and Alan did that and more.

Unfortunately broadband with Eircom isn't an option for us - but the customer service experience from boards representatives has been first rate.

Hi baby builder

Thank you for your feedback and kind words

Please keep in touch should you have any questions or queries.

Best wishes

Al

Advertisement