Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Raspbmc (XBMC) on Raspberry Pi

• 25-01-2013 11:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

I have recently bought a Pi and put Raspbmc on it as per instructions. (know XBMC nearly inside out at this stage as have it on my normal HTPC - the Pi is for another room)

Wired connection to the router so not messing around with Wifi this time and i have read the tips and tricks on the XBMC forums about what SD card to use and turning off RSS and other small backround features to make it run smoothly.

I know there is a couple of others on here running basically the same setup with success, but i am having an awful time with browsing my movie titles - (i am using quartz skin with backround fanart off and just "View: big icons").

There is about 500 movies, some displaying the movie cover right away, others taking a few seconds to load in.

My tv series (about 65 shows) has fanart turned on and is in the "view: fanart 2" and is perfect and smooth.

Could it be down to the fact that i am just browsing my movie collection for the first time and its maybe caching the thumbnails as i go through it for the first time and thats why its taking so long or am i missing something?

Any other tips on how to make this run smoother or just general tips from other users would be great.

Spec:

4GB class 6 SD card
    XBMC 12.0 RC2
    Model B Pi (512mb)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Give it time until it scans the full library. Then you need to turn off scanning and activate it manually when needed. I've seen one at my friends house and it was painfully slow while scanning, but he says browsing is fine once it's done.

Don't forget to turn fanart scraping off (in the scraper settings) if you don't plan to use fanart in the skin. Just to save space and speed up scraping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Give it time until it scans the full library. Then you need to turn off scanning and activate it manually when needed. I've seen one at my friends house and it was painfully slow while scanning, but he says browsing is fine once it's done.

If you mean scraping the info from IMDB or IMDB that is already done a few days ago... All movies and tv shows scraped in full. Otherwise im not too sure what you mean by it scanning the full library/turnng off scanning?

Access wrote: »
    If you mean scraping the info from IMDB or IMDB that is already done a few days ago... All movies and tv shows scraped in full. Otherwise im not too sure what you mean by it scanning the full library/turnng off scanning?

The library updater addon will be set to auto scan the library at a set interval (i think default is 4 hrs) and on boot. With a big library you could be constantly scanning for new content.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    The library updater addon will be set to auto scan the library at a set interval (i think default is 4 hrs) and on boot. With a big library you could be constantly scanning for new content.

Ah i see, okay... know what you mean now... I can rule that out anyway as the library installer addon is not installed.

It only scans my NAS on startup of the Pi and to be honest that only takes about a minute or so. And just to make sure and rule that out, i have "scan library on startup" switched off for the moment.

• Advertisement

Having issues with Raspbmc at the moment, I know it in it early days yet, but having issues like maybe 10% of the covers of movies not showing, and even after i refresh them and browse away from them they are gone again when i get back to them.

Anyway, is there anyone else using a Pi for xbmc and is there any other release besides raspbmc on Pi people recommend trying that might actually run smoothly?

Did you try doing the Raspbmc USB install ?

OpenElec, Raspbmc and Xbian are the main ones. Get a few SD cards and try them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭massy086

Having issues with Raspbmc at the moment, I know it in it early days yet, but having issues like maybe 10% of the covers of movies not showing, and even after i refresh them and browse away from them they are gone again when i get back to them.

Anyway, is there anyone else using a Pi for xbmc and is there any other release besides raspbmc on Pi people recommend trying that might actually run smoothly?

im using the pi for xbmc and it runs great send me a pm and i can point you in the right direction i cant post here sorry

Did you try doing the Raspbmc USB install ?

OpenElec, Raspbmc and Xbian are the main ones. Get a few SD cards and try them all.

Yeah, i did read about that over on the XBMC forums, have not tried it yet though... thats where the xbmc side of things is run off a usb key instead of the SD card itself? - wouldnt have thought that would make a huge difference but its worth a shot i suppose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭niallb

I'm using openelec on one of my raspberrypis and I'm very happy with it.
    It's running into a UHF modulator using the composite video out, so I'm not doing a lot of HD stuff.
    I'm also using ethernet exclusively. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it works.
    Because it's working so smoothly I haven't tried raspbmc in months - it was a lot slower at the time.

Only niggle is that it's not currently doing hardware decoding on mpeg2 streams.
    I have the codec license unlocked and installed, but running openelec pre release it still stutters.
    I'll upgrade it to the frodo release and if that changes things I'll post back.

• Advertisement

Openelec might be the way to go i think... just tried the latest raspbmc yesterday (fresh install) on SD card (class 10 8gb approved card) and got it to scrape all metadata from my NAS...

The result was that it took longer to scrape from my nas than it would to download it! - and that was with it cabled direct to router. It seems a bit laggy too, not impressed to be honest.

Massy did post a link earlier to an image of an openelec card... it worked okay, but seem to have trouble doing an update and the DNS setting would not change for me no matter what i changed it to or what solution i found for it in the forums.

I know openelec is currently at version 2.99 when is the full frodo release of 3.0 coming out? might wait and install then.

Are you setting any boot time parameters to tweak it?
    I've got a very basic setting to make sure it outputs to composite and works widescreen, and I've also forced it to DVI mode for a monitor which doesn't do autodetect very well.
    boot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 disk=/dev/mmcblk0p2 ssh  sdtv_mode=2 sdtv_aspect=3

There's a load of options. Some builds read them from cmdline.txt in the root of your SD card, and other loaders use config.txt - OpenELEC seems to use cmdline.txt if it's present, and has a well commented config.txt.
    I've included it below - if you haven't seen it it's worth seeing what you can do with it.
    ################################################################################                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
    #      This file is part of OpenELEC - http://www.openelec.tv                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
    #      Copyright (C) 2009-2012 Stephan Raue (stephan@openelec.tv)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
    #      Inspired and partly copied from:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
    #  http://youresuchageek.blogspot.fr/2012/09/howto-raspberry-pi-openelec-on.html                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
    #                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
    #  This Program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
    #  it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
    #  the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
    #  any later version.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
    #                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
    #  This Program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
    #  but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
    #  MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
    #  GNU General Public License for more details.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
    #                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
    #  You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
    #  along with OpenELEC.tv; see the file COPYING.  If not, write to                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
    #  the Free Software Foundation, 51 Franklin Street, Suite 500, Boston, MA 02110, USA.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
    #  http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
    ################################################################################                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
    # Bootloader configuration - config.txt                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

# Memory (System/GPU configuration )                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

# default GPU memory split (do not change if you do not know what you are doing)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
      gpu_mem=128                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

# SDRAM size based GPU memory split, uncomment and setup to override 'gpu_mem'                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
    # gpu_mem_256=128                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
    # gpu_mem_512=128                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

# Overclocking settings                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
    # WARNING: Do not change/enable if you do not know what you are doing!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
    #          The System may become unstable or you can have data corruption or                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
    #          you can loose your warranty if you set wrong settings                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
    #                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
    # please read: http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt#Overclocking_configuration                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

# Overclock mode settings.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
    #                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
    # default recommended values are: arm_freq | core_freq | sdram_freq | over_voltage                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
    # no overclocking               :    700   |    250    |    400     |      0                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
    # mode 'Modest'                 :    800   |    300    |    400     |      0                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
    # mode 'Medium'                 :    900   |    333    |    450     |      2                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
    # mode 'High'                   :    950   |    450    |    450     |      6                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   
    # mode 'Turbo'                  :   1000   |    500    |    500     |      6                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

# arm_freq=700                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
    # core_freq=250                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
    # sdram_freq=400                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
    # over_voltage=0                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

# set to 'force_turbo=1' to disable dynamic overclocking (you can lose your warranty!)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
      force_turbo=0                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

# If you have any data corruption using Turbo Mode and overclocking                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
    # try with this setting uncommented                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
    # If this still fails, try to use Medium mode without "over_voltage=2"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
    # If it ultimately keeps failing, forget about this until it gets fixed                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
    # Use a more conservative mode that will works fine in any cases:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
    # initial_turbo=30                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

# Overscan settings                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

# Make display smaller to stop text spilling off the screen                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
    # see also http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=15700                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
    # overscan_scale=1                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
    # disable_overscan=1                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

# Adapt overscan values to your needs                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          
    # overscan_left=57                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
    # overscan_right=59                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
    # overscan_top=20                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
    # overscan_bottom=20                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

# various settings see also: http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

# Force HDMI even if unplugged or powered off                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  
    # hdmi_force_hotplug=1                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

# License keys to enable GPU hardware decoding for various codecs                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
    # to obtain keys visit the shop at http://www.raspberrypi.com                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

# decode_MPG2=0x00000000                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
    # decode_WVC1=0x00000000                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
    # decode_DTS=0x00000000                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
    # decode_DDP=0x00000000      

While you're looking at the SD card, put an empty file called ssh_enable in the configfiles directory found by browsing the openelec samba shares while it's running. You can put it on the card manually if you prefer. It's on the storage partition in a folder called .config
    A restart with that in place comes up with ssh running - root password openelec.

Maybe see you in the Ardboyne tonight.
    N

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭phobia2011

my heart is broke with the pi, i keep getting reboots when im streaming video, tried openelec and raspbmc?

Hi.
    We're watching full length movies on openelec here.
    First place to look if you're getting reboots though is your power supply.
    What are you using? Is it a good 1000mA or more 5V supply?

niallb wrote: »
    Hi.
    We're watching full length movies on openelec here.
    First place to look if you're getting reboots though is your power supply.
    What are you using? Is it a good 1000mA or more 5V supply?

This is the exact 1 http://www.logic3.com/dual-usb-car-power-adaptor.html

Have also tried an iPhone 4 and 5 charger

Same thing reboots during playback.

I almost hope it is the power supply at this stage, been recommended to change config.txt gpu-men and cache buffers etc and its way over my head,

Would love to get it sorted,

Tia

That looks like it should be putting out enough power.
    Have you tried a few different SD cards?
    I had one 4GB non SDHC one that had my first pi crashing regularly.
    I didn't realise it was the problem until I dug it back out to use in my second pi.
    Thought it was just a teething problem that I'd gotten solved.

A couple of questions that might help:
    What gpu_mem and other settings are you trying to use, or have you tried any?
    Do you know if you have the 256MB or 512MB version of the Pi,
    and have you bought the license for the mpeg2 codec? (about €3 on the raspberry pi site) ?

That looks like it should be putting out enough power.
    Have you tried a few different SD cards?
    I had one 4GB non SDHC one that had my first pi crashing regularly.
    I didn't realise it was the problem until I dug it back out to use in my second pi.
    Thought it was just a teething problem that I'd gotten solved.

A couple of questions that might help:
    What gpu_mem and other settings are you trying to use, or have you tried any?
    Do you know if you have the 256MB or 512MB version of the Pi,
    and have you bought the license for the mpeg2 codec? (about €3 on the raspberry pi site) ?

I have 256 board have tried gpu_mem=124 also 100, haven't purchased codecs just yet waiting to sort this issue,
    Hope this helps

thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Have you overclocked the Pi ?

When I had mine at turbo setting it would keep rebooting, but since I turned it down to a medium setting the problem has gone.

I'm using openelec by the way.

Leiva wrote: »
    Have you overclocked the Pi ?

When I had mine at turbo setting it would keep rebooting, but since I turned it down to a medium setting the problem has gone.

I'm using openelec by the way.

I'm trying a fresh install tonight/tomorrow

What are the best settings with regard to gpu-mem and cache buffer?

TIA

phobia2011 wrote: »
    I'm trying a fresh install tonight/tomorrow

What are the best settings with regard to gpu-mem and cache buffer?

TIA

You should stick to using the defaults until you're sure everything else is stable.
    If you don't change anything, the default for gpu_mem is half and half, so it'll be the same as using gpu_mem=128
    The main effect of changing the speed settings is to make the menu system smoother.

Tweaking the settings for extra performance is something that will make the pi a little less stable, and what will work is going to depend on the individual pi and power supply combination.

Have you tried a different SD card or two?
    Are you using the latest openelec build every time, or have you been using the same one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

I find the scrapping to be horribly slow so I have added the posters, fanart and nfo using media center software to the movies folder. The PI seems to read this a lot easier and allowed me to put custom titles in, stuff like 3D or Subtitled(I dont use the PI you see).
    Download ember and use that scrape your system.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/61976/how-to-use-ember-media-manager-to-whip-your-media-collection-into-shape/

XBMC will then scrape locally and is faster for doing it.

Also my movie folder looks like this
    <movie-title>.avi
    <movie-title>.nfo
    <movie-title>-fanart
    <movie-title>-poster

and I edit the nfo to remove the imdb id, also I like to add 3D to the title of the movie.

stylie wrote: »

...I find the scrapping to be horribly slow so I have added the posters, fanart and nfo using media center software to the movies folder...

I turned off fanart on the pi completely because of that speed.
    Could you try that and see if your speed and stability improves to the kind of level I see?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭tonyfillony

I would be interested to know everyones setup as I am thinking of setting up a raspberry pi for my wife.
    My intended setup will be
    Raspberry PI running xbmc
    wireless dongle
    wireless keyboard (logitech k400)
    Hdmi to tv
    Usb port on the tv powering the raspberry pi

All my media is located on my main HTPC and will stream to the raspberry pi wirelessly , most the content being streamed will not be HD as it will mainly just be tv episodes , just wondering if this is a feasible idea?

I think it's daft not to consider HD as a major requirement in any setup these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

I would be interested to know everyones setup as I am thinking of setting up a raspberry pi for my wife.
    My intended setup will be
    Raspberry PI running xbmc
    wireless dongle
    wireless keyboard (logitech k400)
    Hdmi to tv
    Usb port on the tv powering the raspberry pi

All my media is located on my main HTPC and will stream to the raspberry pi wirelessly , most the content being streamed will not be HD as it will mainly just be tv episodes , just wondering if this is a feasible idea?

You might struggle to power the pi and attached dongle with the usb port on the tv. Maybe your tv will do it, but I never got anything stable with mine.

Also, if your tv supports CEC over hdmi or you have a smartphone (use the Yatse remote on android) then you could do away with the wireless keyboard.

Regarding streaming, that should be fine. I've most of my videos on an pi that is streaming to another pi, and I regularly watch on one pi and stream to my android phone. Most of my videos are 1080p/720p mkvs and they stream fine. Most of my issues have been power related, so I've now got a 2A usb hub that is supplying all the wifi dongles and pi, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

I turned off fanart on the pi completely because of that speed.
    Could you try that and see if your speed and stability improves to the kind of level I see?

Hi,

The PI is used by my parents so the the fanart is helpful for them to pick what they want to watch. I see your point though and thats why I started using Ember on any new media so XBMC doesnt have to go to the internet. Also handy if the person has no internet connection.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

stylie wrote: »
    Hi,

The PI is used by my parents so the the fanart is helpful for them to pick what they want to watch. I see your point though and thats why I started using Ember on any new media so XBMC doesnt have to go to the internet. Also handy if the person has no internet connection.

Yeah but even with fanart off it'll still show the episode/movie image ala what you see on say imdb.com so its not like they won't know what they are watching.

I too turned off fanart, with it switched on XBMC was like a dog

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

have they gotten round hq 1080 content yet. most my mkvs would be 20 gig, and i dont think the pi can run them smoothly yet, or am i mistaken

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

have they gotten round hq 1080 content yet. most my mkvs would be 20 gig, and i dont think the pi can run them smoothly yet, or am i mistaken

Biggest 1080 content I've played was 12GB and it played it fine for me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Cabaal wrote: »
    Biggest 1080 content I've played was 12GB and it played it fine for me

yeah i know it can play 12... just bigger...hummmm, hopefully it'll be getting an overhaul soon...i hope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭superleedsdub

yeah i know it can play 12... just bigger...hummmm, hopefully it'll be getting an overhaul soon...i hope

No need for an overhaul - raspbmc has been able to play 1080p content with no issues for a few months.
    I have a number of .mkv files over 20gb in size with DTS encoded that stream no problem to my Pi from my NAS.

Raspbmc has been rock-solid since the 'Final' 1.0 release. I use a class 10, 8gb SD card in conjuction with raspbmc installed on a USB stick. For Power, I use a 7v samsung phone charger. I haven`t had a single issue in the weeks since I installed 1.0

Highly recommend raspbmc:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 tokitoki

Considering getting a raspberry pi myself for raspbmc. What I mainly want it for is for watching rte, tv3 and tg4 (I'm living outside of Ireland) using mossy's video add on for xbmc. However I don't know if I should get a pi or wait a few months for ouya.

Anyone used it for streaming irish channels. Can the pi handle hd (i.e. would I be able to see a sliothar come championship time?!!)

Any suggestions? Pi now or wait for the release of ouya?

Cheers!

I just installed Mossy`s irish TV repository and tested it. Works grand, picture quality is to be expected for a live TV stream from an Irish TV channel:-) It uses RTE player to stream live TV. Haven`t tested any other channels yet.
    I`ll try it again during the week when the champions league is on, to test a HD stream.

(Dated: 31/1/2013...) Openelec might be the way to go i think...

Well its been a couple of months now running Openelec XBMC on the Pi... and so far so good.

A few niggles here and there... like when adding new movies and tv shows openelec was showing an almost constant timeout for getting metadata from TMDB and TVDB and i would have to click "yes" to keep scanning for info... but a quick google search brought up a fix by editing the advancedsettings xml in xbmc to auto say yes... and now no problems adding new media.

Its been running very smooth now and the best thing is that by plugging it into the hdmi on our samsung tv, we can control xbmc via the original samsung tv remote with no setting it up. Excellent.

superleedsdub was just saying there about Raspbmc being rock-solid since the 'Final' 1.0 release. Going to try that out again this weekend just to see how it compares with openelec now. Before i tried openelec i did try raspbmc at the time and it drove me mad it was so buggy... looking forward to trying it now though.

@ superleedsdub... does it make much/any of a difference running raspbmc on a usb stick plugged into the Pi vs just installing it on the SD card (mine would be a class 10 8GB SD card)

It did for me. I installed raspbmc to USB on release candidate 4 onwards and it really improved the performance for me. Haven't tried using only a SD card on the latest 1.0 release.

raspbmc was very buggy, but it appears they have all been fixed. Well as far as I can see anyway.
    It's worth trying out again. I'm gonna try out openelec tonight so I compare the 2.

• Advertisement

No need for an overhaul - raspbmc has been able to play 1080p content with no issues for a few months.
    I have a number of .mkv files over 20gb in size with DTS encoded that stream no problem to my Pi from my NAS.

Raspbmc has been rock-solid since the 'Final' 1.0 release. I use a class 10, 8gb SD card in conjuction with raspbmc installed on a USB stick. For Power, I use a 7v samsung phone charger. I haven`t had a single issue in the weeks since I installed 1.0

Highly recommend raspbmc:-)

oh really??? thats great, my popcorn hour is in need of retirement and now that it plays hq 1080 i'll guess i'll go with that then. howd they fix it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 tokitoki

Just interested to know what SD cards are working best with raspbmc. I have a 4gb class 4. Awaiting delivery of my raspberry pi. Has anyone used this type of SD card with raspbmc? If so, does it work ok or should I go for more memory/higher class? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭cgc5483

tokitoki wrote: »
    Just interested to know what SD cards are working best with raspbmc. I have a 4gb class 4. Awaiting delivery of my raspberry pi. Has anyone used this type of SD card with raspbmc? If so, does it work ok or should I go for more memory/higher class? Thanks.

You would be better off with a Class 10. It will be a much quicker and smoother moving through the menus.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭theduffer

cgc5483 wrote: »
    You would be better off with a Class 10. It will be a much quicker and smoother moving through the menus.

Cab you confirm what class 10 SD card works,I have an Integral UltimaPro card and have yet to boot into it successfully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,040 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

theduffer wrote: »
    Cab you confirm what class 10 SD card works,I have an Integral UltimaPro card and have yet to boot into it successfully

I have used a Sandisk Ultra (30MB/s) 16GB card without problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

I have been using xbian and find it much faster and robust than raspbmc - worth giving a try if some folk are having issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

Has anyone changed the gpu memory allocation for Raspbmc?
    Default seems to be gpu_mem=128, Is there any need to change this configuration ?

OpenElec seems to be the best for me so far installed on the USB using Berryboot.
    Will try Raspbmc on a USB stick as well and see how it goes.

Thanks to superleedsdub for the heads up... i have changed from openelec to Raspbmc for the past couple of weeks now since letting us know about the final 1.0 release... big changes from when i previously used raspbmc.

It seems a lot more responsive now and less buggy and all add ons are starting and shuting down with no problems. And it updates itself and all add ons with no prompting so happy days.

I am now a Raspbmc convert. :D

I recommend it to anyone starting out with a Pi to make a media centre.

Edit: Forgot to mention i am only running from the SD card at the moment... so have yet to try it on usb key on the Pi. I reckon that will make it a bit faster too. must find out how to do that some time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Quick question guys

I just dusted off my Raspberry Pi in order to use as an XBMC. Moved into the new place and left the apple tv behind to the old fella.

For some reason when I go to boot up, HDMI wont respond and nothing appears on the screen. PI is booting up, lights flashing all looks ok, but cant get a signal.

Tried three different ( all known working) cables, my TV and two monitors with no joy.

Anyone any ideas, literally just wont show anything on screen. I've a view to use Raspbmc but unfortunately stumped at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

TheDoc wrote: »
    Quick question guys

I just dusted off my Raspberry Pi in order to use as an XBMC. Moved into the new place and left the apple tv behind to the old fella.

For some reason when I go to boot up, HDMI wont respond and nothing appears on the screen. PI is booting up, lights flashing all looks ok, but cant get a signal.

Tried three different ( all known working) cables, my TV and two monitors with no joy.

Anyone any ideas, literally just wont show anything on screen. I've a view to use Raspbmc but unfortunately stumped at the moment

What OS is on the SD card at the moment? Maybe reflash the SD card with the default raspbian image, just to check its not a dodgy pi, or power issue. Try a different SD card too, theres a list of SD cards that had problems on the pi website.

Perhaps you previously had forced the output to composite? http://elinux.org/RPiconfig has all the config settings, including hdmi output etc.

Can you ssh into the pi and at least check the OS is loading.

What OS is on the SD card at the moment?
    RaspXMBC also tried Raspbian

Maybe reflash the SD card with the default raspbian image, just to check its not a dodgy pi, or power issue.
    Tried that a few times, will try again

Try a different SD card too, theres a list of SD cards that had problems on the pi website.
    Dont have a spare. This SD card worked in the PI before, just havnt used my Pi in a few months

Perhaps you previously had forced the output to composite? http://elinux.org/RPiconfig has all the config settings, including hdmi output etc.
    Don't see how, only ever used HDMI

Can you ssh into the pi and at least check the OS is loading.
    I was a day one Pi adopter and SSH was never on by default, do the new distros have SSH enabled by default. If so I'll just connect and try ssh in

Still having problems here only today is a new one.

So with NOOBS being released figure I'd lash that on and use it and mess around until I got a signal via HDMI.

Only problem now is that when I'm going to load NOOBS my SD Card is acting funny. It's jumping from being a FAT32 to being RAW, and when I'm copying over files it keeps saying files are too big, even though its only 1 GB folder with 8GB on the card.

Formatting with the recommended tool seems to do nothing.

Bout to rip my hair out at this stage, was fine and a piece of piss to setup when I first got it, think it does to show my feelings towards Linux based tools in general, what should be a simple process is overly complex bundled with 101 errors and failures with no indication or symptoms of the problem

SD card pricing is an absolute rip off in Ireland, but if anyone wants to recommend one that can be bought in Tesco, I'm heading to my local 24/7 one to see the variety they have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I dont know what OS you have flashed the SD with but to force HDMI out put you need to go into:
    /boot/config.txt

and enter the following:
    hdmi_force_hotplug=1

if there is no config.txt file in the boot folder then simple create one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

I asked this question on another thread but might get some help here. I need to overwrite the real debrid py file as I'm having problems using premium resolver.

I'm using Putty to SSH into the Pi but can't list any directories with the ls command.

On PC/iPad the location of the resolvers py files are in \XBMC\addons\script.module.urlresolver\lib\urlresolver\plugins

Anyone know is it possible to do this with Raspxbmc on Pi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,848 ✭✭✭✭28064212

AntiRip wrote: »
    I asked this question on another thread but might get some help here. I need to overwrite the real debrid py file as I'm having problems using premium resolver.

I'm using Putty to SSH into the Pi but can't list any directories with the ls command.

On PC/iPad the location of the resolvers py files are in \XBMC\addons\script.module.urlresolver\lib\urlresolver\plugins

Anyone know is it possible to do this with Raspxbmc on Pi?
    What's the exact response when you use ls?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
Advertisement