Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few Quick Questions on Calgary - flying visit

Options
  • 25-01-2013 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a trip to Calgary coming up, its a flying visit and don't really have any time to explore or get my find my feet there. I will be staying Downtown, 4th Ave area, as I will be working there.

Questions:
    I have an old unlocked iPhone, any recommendations on which mobile phone operator to go with? what package to get? Its for local calls and data/email that I need it for. I will only be there a week.

Where, if anywhere, would be good to watch the Ireland v Scotland rugby match? It will be on at 7am Calgary time.

Is there anywhere you would recommend to go for a pint? I will be on my own, not looking for a mad night just maybe 2 beers before hitting the hay, hotel bars depress me. Mid week.

Evening meals Downtown, dining alone, any recommendations? I have a couple of work related dinners, but they will be quite formal, looking for something a bit more relaxed, its my chill out time.

Shopping for clothes, what are prices like relative to Dublin. Could I stock up on casual gear, jeans tops etc., or is that something to pass on.

If you were to recommend one must see thing in Calgary what would it be? I will be working 7 to 7 more or less and will have a couple of hours on Sunday afternoon to explore, but no more really.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

Mate you have to visit the iconic Olympic stadium mate try the bobsledding its expenive but when would you ever get to try it again?:) here is the link
    >http://www.winsportcanada.ca

Mate check out the network Fido think it has a good deal 50 dollars a month check the website doh plenty of good deals maybe just buy a regular sim card:) your phone will work.

I suppose type in to Google Irish bars and pick one there's quite a few:)

Don't have a clue about the shopping i am not there yet or the restaurants

Have a good trip:)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭mazi

whatnext wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have a trip to Calgary coming up, its a flying visit and don't really have any time to explore or get my find my feet there. I will be staying Downtown, 4th Ave area, as I will be working there.

Questions:
    I have an old unlocked iPhone, any recommendations on which mobile phone operator to go with? what package to get? Its for local calls and data/email that I need it for. I will only be there a week.

Where, if anywhere, would be good to watch the Ireland v Scotland rugby match? It will be on at 7am Calgary time.

Is there anywhere you would recommend to go for a pint? I will be on my own, not looking for a mad night just maybe 2 beers before hitting the hay, hotel bars depress me. Mid week.

Evening meals Downtown, dining alone, any recommendations? I have a couple of work related dinners, but they will be quite formal, looking for something a bit more relaxed, its my chill out time.

Shopping for clothes, what are prices like relative to Dublin. Could I stock up on casual gear, jeans tops etc., or is that something to pass on.

If you were to recommend one must see thing in Calgary what would it be? I will be working 7 to 7 more or less and will have a couple of hours on Sunday afternoon to explore, but no more really.

Any advice appreciated.

Hey,

So for mobile "Chatr" is fine if you are not out of the major cities otherwise the coverage is limited.I pay $40 bucks a month and get free incoming calls, caller i.d & voicemail (all of these are extra on contracts here)

Not sure about sports!

Don't waste your time shopping here, it is pants.I usually go to the states and stock up where its half the price of up here and way better variety.Canada is not cheap so anyone that is under the illusion its like the states they are in for a shock.

A must thing to see in Calgary-The tower, this city isn't the life and sole of the party, it's a working town.Its busy during the week with communters but come the weekend its dead.I got downtown shopping when I dont want busy malls as its much quieter, sounds weird but its true!

You will only need an hour around downtown because there isn't anything interesting to see.17th Ave is the bar strip which is out of the downtown core a bit.It's not the same craic as at home.

Food wise there are plenty of restaurants and they vary in price.The only place I got decent food was called "The Keg", they are all over town so you will spot one.Main course starts @ $25 bucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

whatnext wrote: »
    Hi all,

Questions:

Any advice appreciated.
    I'm with Fido, I pay about 35 get free local calls, texts, free texts home, and that icludes caller id and voicemail as add-ons, my gf has the same with a large data allowence and is 57 or something. Very handy but I didnt bother with it.

Most bars won't be open until 9am, I'm looking into watching the rugby myself but there dosn't seem to be many options, streaming it from the comfort of my bed and cup of tea may be the only option.

What kind of bar do you want? Calgary has everything from dingy dive bars/rock bars, Irish bars, wide range of restaurants, trendy cocktail bars, craft beer bars, places that do fresh oysters etc. Some of my favourites are The Hop In Pub on 12th Ave for pizza and good beer, Beer Revolution on 8th St for more pizza and good beer, for good value or some sports the Watchmans on 17th, a massive burger and 2 sides for $12 and beer offers, if you want scantily clad waitresses the Tilted Kilt on 17th is your place, Original Joes on 8th Ave is fine if you've been Downtown for shopping as is Double Zero for yet more great pizza. For beer choice you have Craft Beer Market on 10th Ave with 100 beers and National on 17th with more, they do brunch on a Sunday too. Calgary is small and easy to get around if your spending your time Downtown get out to 17th Ave and go to the Melrose, Jamesons, National or Clive Burger and have a seat at the bar, they're all decent bars/restaurants and are informal. Pick the right one and I may even be serving you ;)

The Calgary tower is ok, get up during the day and your ticket will be good that night aswell. What date will you be here? Try to go see some hockey, go to a game, they're great! We follow the Calgary Hitmen in the WHL (junior league, players aged about 17 to 20), its very fast and they kick the crap out of eachother. Tickets are about $20 and the stadium is a short LRT ride away from Downtown and right next to 17th Ave. You may be lucky and get a Flames game on but they're more expensive etc.
    mazi wrote: »
    Hey,

So for mobile "Chatr" is fine if you are not out of the major cities otherwise the coverage is limited.I pay $40 bucks a month and get free incoming calls, caller i.d & voicemail (all of these are extra on contracts here)

Not sure about sports!

Don't waste your time shopping here, it is pants.I usually go to the states and stock up where its half the price of up here and way better variety.Canada is not cheap so anyone that is under the illusion its like the states they are in for a shock.

A must thing to see in Calgary-The tower, this city isn't the life and sole of the party, it's a working town.Its busy during the week with communters but come the weekend its dead.I got downtown shopping when I dont want busy malls as its much quieter, sounds weird but its true!

You will only need an hour around downtown because there isn't anything interesting to see.17th Ave is the bar strip which is out of the downtown core a bit.It's not the same craic as at home.

Food wise there are plenty of restaurants and they vary in price.The only place I got decent food was called "The Keg", they are all over town so you will spot one.Main course starts @ $25 bucks.

I agree shopping here is poor, theres some deals to be had though. Theres the Core mall in downtown and the Chinook centre a bit outside, both are just shopping centres full of crap you probably don't want, but you'll get everything you need. I've been to the Keg and it is good, they serve the crab they catch on the Deadliest Catch programme which I'm going back to try but I've eaten out a fair bit in Calgary and I've never had a bad meal, bar food is of a different standard here as is service. The Keg is a chain you can eat in all over Canada, better off trying somewhere local/unique etc.

Advertisement