Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letting baby sleep on?

Options
  • 25-01-2013 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi all,

Question for all you experienced mammies,what do you do when your little one has a lot less sleep than usual during the night? Do you leave her to sleep on in the morning to catch up or does that interfere with trying to get a routine in place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Pebbles81 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Question for all you experienced mammies,what do you do when your little one has a lot less sleep than usual during the night? Do you leave her to sleep on in the morning to catch up or does that interfere with trying to get a routine in place?
    My policy is to never wake a sleeping baby :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Pebbles81

I love your policy and agree with it but then you read or people tell you that you shouldn't just let them sleep!

I wish someone would just write a manual!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MintyDoris

ariana` wrote: »

I would agree. We still dont have a solid routine with my little one but we are getting there. I find if she doesn't get the sleep she needs, she is impossible to get to sleep later and it takes hours and hours of trying everything. She will fight us every step of the way because she doesn't realise why she feels crappy

So for that reason, if she has had a bad night or didn't get to sleep in line with her routine, I let her sleep. Also, the more she sleeps during the day, I find she sleeps more in the night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We have no choice. I have to wake her to bring her to creche so I can go to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

There's no way I'd wake a sleeping baby for the sake of a routine. The odd weekend morning that our son sleeps until 9am are rare but blissful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Rule Number one applies.........

Rule one ... if the baby is happy/quiet/asleep ..... LEAVE THEM ALONE .

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

Its so not worth it to wake a sleeping baby. They only end up cranky and grizzly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I have to wake my 9 month old alot during the week as we both work so need to get her off to her aunties . She goes to bed at 7.30 and i wake her at 8. But i wouldnt wake her at the weekend and she would normally sleep till about 8.30 or 9.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

What age is your baby?

We are trying to get our 13 month to sleep through the night and he is in a routine to aid that so he gets woken at the same time every morning til his body clock adjusts (well that's the theory :) )....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

ariana` wrote: »

I would agree with that for morning time, where possible..

But if he's napping during the day I never let him sleep more than 2 hours as I don't want him swinging from the curtains come bed time ;)

Pebbles I think it depends on the reason you are waking them and how well they sleep already...

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Pebbles81

Thanks for all the replies.

She's 15 weeks old. I find it quite hard to get her to go down at night, as in,she wakes whenever I put her in the cot, and was wondering if her not being tired enough was resulting in her waking easily.

Shes much easier to put down for naps during the day.

Cara i mostly wake her simply because I thought that early to bed and early to rise would be a good routine to get her in. I'm lucky enough to be a stay at home mum
    so I don't really have to wake her unless we're going somewhere.

Ah ok. Don't know what to suggest to you so. We are getting our fella into a routine for when I go back to work so it's a very different situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

I never wake my daughter in the morning. She wakes sometime between 8 and 9. Always in bed again by 9pm. Has 2 naps a day.
    She's 9 months old. I would agree never wake a sleeping baby :)
    I too am a stay at home mum but we have an ok routine going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

She's 15 weeks old. I find it quite hard to get her to go down at night, as in,she wakes whenever I put her in the cot, and was wondering if her not being tired enough was resulting in her waking easily.

Cara i mostly wake her simply because I thought that early to bed and early to rise would be a good routine to get her in. I'm lucky enough to be a stay at home mum

Mine is a few weeks younger but I have found so far that sleep begets sleep. If he's overtired it's much harder to get him down for the night. I let him sleep as much as he wants to during the day and he normally does 7-9 hours each night.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

xzanti wrote: »
    I would agree with that for morning time, where possible..

But if he's napping during the day I never let him sleep more than 2 hours as I don't want him swinging from the curtains come bed time ;)

I always found with mine that the better/longer his naps were, the better he slept at night.

Even now at three, if he naps in the day he'll have a far more settled night's sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

At 15 weeks they don't tend to have a routine & any you manage to achieve will go off kilter anyway when they go through a growth spurt (one coming up at about 19 weeks) and when they start teething. Just let your baby dictate when she wants to sleep, as others said, sleep begets sleep. My little one always woke when we tried putting her into her cot when she was younger, it could be just because she's just nice & warm & cosy in her mammy or daddy's arms & then is being put into a cold cot.

I thought we'd never get a routine but suddenly 1 day, we had a bedtime & it's been like that ever since, other than during sickness or growth spurts. Granted my little one doesn't stay asleep (wakes 4 or 5 times a night), but that's a separate issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭ronjo

Oral Slang wrote: »
    At 15 weeks they don't tend to have a routine & any you manage to achieve will go off kilter anyway when they go through a growth spurt (one coming up at about 19 weeks) and when they start teething. Just let your baby dictate when she wants to sleep, as others said, sleep begets sleep. My little one always woke when we tried putting her into her cot when she was younger, it could be just because she's just nice & warm & cosy in her mammy or daddy's arms & then is being put into a cold cot.

I thought we'd never get a routine but suddenly 1 day, we had a bedtime & it's been like that ever since, other than during sickness or growth spurts. Granted my little one doesn't stay asleep (wakes 4 or 5 times a night), but that's a separate issue.

I disagree with that but only based on our experience.
    We had our girl on a routine from as early as possible and she slept through the night very quickly.
    Number 2 is coming in a few months so I might have different answer of course in 6 months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

If she's falling asleep in your arms put a little blanket on her first. It has a chance to warm up and take your scent before you transfer her to the bed. And that way she's not going onto a cold sheet. It's something we used to do to help our little one stay asleep on the transfer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement